Alabama school wants to arm kids with canned goods.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
...So they can throw it in case of the event of a shooter situation. You heard it here. Instead of coming up with effective solutions, the best they can do is tell kids to throw canned food. Not only would you have to be close enough to a shooter to already be out of luck anyway, you would have to take the time to confront them and also have to be an all-star pitcher for your throw to count without doing nothing more than pissing them off.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2015/01...-against-shooters/6341421244987/?spt=mps&or=5

http://www.cchsvoice.org/equipped-with-cans-of-soup-the-alice-drill/

These are middle school kids we are dealing with, not grown adults. Nobody is going to have a CCW, and means to self defense are pretty limited. The first objective should be to prevent an encounter in the first place; exit the windows, keep safety ladders in the classrooms, anything better than this. No, let's just lockdown like sitting ducks and arm ourselves with soup. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a pen to the jugular would me much more effective against a shooter, and brings no more risk to yourself than throwing a can would.

I'm really hoping someone can correct me and tell me this is one big joke.
1421327679359.jpg

upschuck

Saw this on the news, yesterday, and just shook my head. Most kids will have bad aim, and probably peg other kids, and not the assailant, if they even have that chance. Also, seeing those cans everyday, would bring a sense of insecurity everyday, making the kids worry about intruders may be coming, they can't just worry about learning. Want the kids feel safe, and that constant reminder would probably do the opposite.

Packmule

On a serious note, I did see a deal the other day that made a pretty good case for blasting a shooter with a fire extinguisher. Apparently, these things not only blind someone temporarily, they also cause a lot of respiratory problems that could easily give a teacher the ability to finish the job by whacking the fool with the steel cylinder while he still can't see or breathe.
Don't know how true this is, but it's better than throwing a can.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Just what we need, kids getting more involved in an active shooter situation than they already are by just being there.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Instead of having a middle-schooler engage an active shooter with a can of beans, I would rather see a properly trained teacher or principal engage the active shooter with a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck. But that's just me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Instead of having a middle-schooler engage an active shooter with a can of beans, I would rather see a properly trained teacher or principal engage the active shooter with a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck. But that's just me.

I would rather our teachers stick to what they know and for our schools to limit access to their facilities and hire trained security personnel.

soberups

I would rather our teachers stick to what they know and for our schools to limit access to their facilities and hire trained security personnel.
Sandy Hook Elementary had electronically locking doors with a camera/ intercom system so that the office staff could identify who was at the door prior to letting them in. Adam Lanza simply shot the glass out of the door and let himself in. Had there been a locked gun vault bolted to the wall of the office giving keypad access to a loaded 12 gauge for trained staff, one of them might have been able to splatter Lanza's miserable brains all over the wall before he was able to kill anyone. Instead, they sat there helpless and waiting to die in the safety of their "gun free zone" while he perpetrated one of the most horrific massacres in our nations history. I'd bet my last dollar that if we could go up to heaven and talk to the principal and office staff who were murdered that day, they would much rather have had a gun to fight Lanza with than a can of peas.

soberups

One of the members of my gun club is a teacher at a local school. He has a concealed handgun license and he carries while at school. This is legal in Oregon, although if discovered he would be fired for violating the terms of his employment. His attitude is that his future employment status will be the least of his concerns in the event of a mass shooting incident at his school, and if he winds up killing a lunatic in order to protect his students, he will simply resume his teaching career in Idaho or Arizona where he would have no trouble at all getting hired. This guy shoots competitively and he is scary good. God help the lunatic who tries to get into his classroom!