Amazon DSP Drivers reveal the challenges of One-Day Shipping.

PPH_over_9000

Oooohhh boy.....

Sorry brother, I don't want 12-14hr days. Not in December, not in July-- not ever. Like today! I was unassigned and managed to take a dead day, and I feel like I've won the damn lottery.

Maybe once I get my own route and can plan my day based on area, but as a cover driver I've had enough of it to learn that I just want my guarantee. Typically I get home around 21:30. If there's a way to punch out closer to 18:00 I'm all for it.

I never ask for help and I never piss and moan at my dispatch. Management sets up helpers/PVDs of their own accord. That said, anybody that doesn't mind 6hrs of OT can absolutely seek me out in the morning and we can share some work. Funny how nobody ever does that, though.

Zowert

They get no healthcare, no retirement…
Very little PTO and their pay really isn’t that great. It differs vastly depending on location but my neighbor’s wife is a FedEx driver, not a contractor. It took her 14 years to get to $29/hr… Took me 3 years to get the same pay at UPS. Now factor in health insurance plus pension and it makes you wonder why anyone would want to work at FedEx over UPS.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
Sorry brother, I don't want 12-14hr days. Not in December, not in July-- not ever. Like today! I was unassigned and managed to take a dead day, and I feel like I've won the damn lottery.

Maybe once I get my own route and can plan my day based on area, but as a cover driver I've had enough of it to learn that I just want my guarantee. Typically I get home around 21:30. If there's a way to punch out closer to 18:00 I'm all for it.

I never ask for help and I never piss and moan at my dispatch. Management sets up helpers/PVDs of their own accord. That said, anybody that doesn't mind 6hrs of OT can absolutely seek me out in the morning and we can share some work. Funny how nobody ever does that, though.
Your second truck. That is funny. You are so much bigger and better then anyone.

PPH_over_9000

Must run like a mother
Your second truck. That is funny. You are so much bigger and better then anyone.

How does a cover driver's performance effect the way a route is dispatched every single day?

If anything, the RPCD that runs the route every day burnt it up. I just occasionally deal with the aftermath.

Do they not split heavy routes close to the building where y'all are at? All business and airs in one, all resi's in the other. Businesses are about a 12-mile loop less than a mile from the building, the resi's might run 40 at most on a weird day. Y'all make it out like I'm running and gunning when I actually feel like I'm one of the slowest drivers in my center since I fell out from heat exhaustion.

evilleace

How does a cover driver's performance effect the way a route is dispatched every single day?

If anything, the RPCD that runs the route every day burnt it up. I just occasionally deal with the aftermath.

Do they not split heavy routes close to the building where y'all are at? All business and airs in one, all resi's in the other. Businesses are about a 12-mile loop less than a mile from the building, the resi's might run 40 at most on a weird day. Y'all make it out like I'm running and gunning when I actually feel like I'm one of the slowest drivers in my center since I fell out from heat exhaustion.

No we don't split routes into 2 cars like that.

PPH_over_9000

No we don't split routes into 2 cars like that.

::shrugs::

well idk what to say. We've got three routes that go out almost every day with two trucks, because cramming all the bulk onto one still results in things being left behind and a second trip being made to the building. One of them often uses a moose as well for the mall route and our heavier post offices.

the only thing that sucks is that feeling when you pick up the fully-loaded resi' truck around 1pm and it seems like your day's only just getting started. It's still better than dealing with all of it on a single truck, though.

Ou812fu

::shrugs::

well idk what to say. We've got three routes that go out almost every day with two trucks, because cramming all the bulk onto one still results in things being left behind and a second trip being made to the building. One of them often uses a moose as well for the mall route and our heavier post offices.

the only thing that sucks is that feeling when you pick up the fully-loaded resi' truck around 1pm and it seems like your day's only just getting started. It's still better than dealing with all of it on a single truck, though.
A fully loaded resi truck is at least 200 stops...

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
LOL.... Not sure if he is driving a prius as a delivery vehicle. But he wouldn't get done with both. If they are actual package cars..
I’ve done it out of a package car, tight areas i new cold. Not a ton of miles either. It’s a brisk pace, but a seasoned driver can do it.

PPH_over_9000

A fully loaded resi truck is at least 200 stops...

Okay, hold on a second

IMG_20211203_102758934_HDR.jpeg

So you want them to pile another 40 stops in there, huh? Probably a couple more apartments where 1 stop breaks down into 20-30, that sounds good, yeah?

This may not be "fully loaded" by strict definition but it's so poorly loaded that I think the term can still apply.

Feel free to continue splitting hairs.

Last edited:

Ou812fu

Okay, hold on a second

View attachment 363197

So you want them to pile another 40 stops in there, huh? Probably a couple more apartments where 1 stop breaks down into 20-30, that sounds good, yeah?

This may not be "fully loaded" by strict definition but it's so poorly loaded that I think the term can still apply.

Uumm you left a spa label unblurred mister rout 1??...

Ou812fu

Uumm you left a spa label unblurred mister rout 1??...
Okay, hold on a second

View attachment 363197

Driving around in an 8. Nice. I wish I had one that size...

evilleace

Okay, hold on a second

View attachment 363197

Nobody is splitting anything.I run 2 cars on occasion for my route but I am almost completely commercial. As a young driver I can see why you are tempted to give away work. But I have refused help from PVD drivers multiple times and unless instructed to take the help I always will.