Anyone ever recieve a reward for reporting theft?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red I think that was a pretty tacky response. I have treated you with respect on this board and I'm dissapointed to see you drop down in the gutter like this.

It does seem that you tend to attack when you are uncomfortable answering questions?
Tie its not my job to report thefts, Not saying that you wont put that in our dispatch soon. You show me a manager that doesnt fudge the numbers and doesnt get fired for not meeting his numbers, they both go hand in hand fudging numbers and not meeting numbers.

It wasnt meant as an attack on you tie. But im glad it came off that way because it was nice to see the apwa cheerleaders come to manager defense.

HazMatMan

The loop hole is upto, most of the people that ive dealt with typically get $50, $100 bucks tops. Theres no need to steal and i wont condone it, but i cant rat out some1 at the same time. I have never seen any1 steal, but have represented my fair share of them.

Can't rat out someone for stealing?? What if they were stealing something you knew could get you 5000 dollars?? Would you reconsider?? Also, if the company can prove you knew they were stealing, guess what, YOUR FIRED..

tieguy

Banned
Tie its not my job to report thefts, Not saying that you wont put that in our dispatch soon. You show me a manager that doesnt fudge the numbers and doesnt get fired for not meeting his numbers, they both go hand in hand fudging numbers and not meeting numbers.

usually does not come down to a job assignment but your sense of integrity. Its interesting to see you try to lecture me on integrity while you talk about observing a code of honor with thieves. You never did answer my previous question. Where do you draw the line? Do you look the other way at the union hall too. Also do you believe your relationship with the town of chicago and its known corruption and known mobster ties had anything to do with your personal belief of looking the other way when someone steals you blind?

It wasnt meant as an attack on you tie. But im glad it came off that way because it was nice to see the apwa cheerleaders come to manager defense.

Do you ever answer a question without throwing up a dodge?

tieguy

Banned
Can't rat out someone for stealing?? What if they were stealing something you knew could get you 5000 dollars?? Would you reconsider?? Also, if the company can prove you knew they were stealing, guess what, YOUR FIRED..

People who honor the code of thievery have no integrity and deserve to get fired. They are just as guilty as the thief. Personally I think the refusal to "rat" usually comes from cowardice. It takes a strong belief in principles to stand up and point the finger.

tieguy

Banned

they deserve to be fired. A belief in not "ratting out" is really succumbing to cowardice. Its a strong belief in principles to stand up and point the finger. Those who do not have that belief then alibi their cowardice in various ways.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Do you ever answer a question without throwing up a dodge?
What didnt i answer tie? Its not my job to look for theives in the work place! Heres a question for you tie if you know your fellow manager coworker is changing numbers do you rat him out?

HazMatMan

What didnt i answer tie? Its not my job to look for theives in the work place! Heres a question for you tie if you know your fellow manager coworker is changing numbers do you rat him out?

Although I agree it's not one's job to actually search for thieves, I feel if you should suspect suspicious activities on one's behalf, or even actually see a crime taking place, wouldn't it be a good idea to report such criminal acts??

tieguy

Banned

Question answered with a question. I never said anything about you looking for thieves on the job.

Again try to focus. where do you draw the line with your code of honor with thieves? When will you decide you should turn one in?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Question answered with a question. I never said anything about you looking for thieves on the job.

Again try to focus. where do you draw the line with your code of honor with thieves? When will you decide you should turn one in?
Tie i have never witnessed a theft, so i cany comment on what i would do. I have represented several accused of theft and believe it or not they were being railroaded by management. They eventually went on to win at panel. Is that answer suitable to you?

Now let me ask you because i hear managers all the time saying theres no way that center is making those numbers legite. So since your a manager im sure you have said or witnessed the same. Have you or will you yurn in that manager? Or is it different because of the situation there not stealing from the company there staeling from the employees, where my friend do you draw the line?

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
And sadly thats where Dave is now. A discussion on the affects of liberalized class action lawsuits laws and how they may have actually helped perpetrate the various economic crisis in California now has poor Dave following me around like a rabid lap dog. Dave just say no to message boards. :thumbup1:
Rabid lap dog thats funny coming from the browncafe's serial poster you seem to be the rabid one . Me thinks thou art the pot calling the kettle black. Tie guy there is another thread starting soon its going to be called "those who can't teach" I hope you can enlighten us with your grand illustrious principles. I hope you can draw upon your long and outstanding career at UPS and regale us with tales of how you once change the toner cartridge with out help from I.E.. I used to read your posts with some interest but now it seems that your true nature comes out. That is one of a condescending autocrat when in fact this fourm seems to be the only way anyone listens to your bloated views. You must remember who does the dirty work for this company and its not your type so post away king of the cubicles your keyboard awaits.

tieguy

Banned
Rabid lap dog thats funny coming from the browncafe's serial poster you seem to be the rabid one . Me thinks thou art the pot calling the kettle black. Tie guy there is another thread starting soon its going to be called "those who can't teach" I hope you can enlighten us with your grand illustrious principles. I hope you can draw upon your long and outstanding career at UPS and regale us with tales of how you once change the toner cartridge with out help from I.E.. I used to read your posts with some interest but now it seems that your true nature comes out. That is one of a condescending autocrat when in fact this fourm seems to be the only way anyone listens to your bloated views. You must remember who does the dirty work for this company and its not your type so post away king of the cubicles your keyboard awaits.

Yea I know Dave I became an autocrat as soon as I asked you how many meals you were denied.

tieguy

Banned
Tie i have never witnessed a theft, so i cany comment on what i would do. I have represented several accused of theft and believe it or not they were being railroaded by management. They eventually went on to win at panel. Is that answer suitable to you?

now you're changing your position from don't rat to I don't know what I would do because I have never seen it.

So management stuck the goods in their hands and then tried to fire them for it?

Its real simple position. There is no grey area here. You either turn a thief in or you bond with the thief through your code of honor.
Which one is it Red?

Channahon

All information received by UPS management regarding theft is taken very seriously, regardless of how the information is received. Sometimes, there is nothing to the information received and other times, the investigation grows to include more people than originally thought.

This includes both management and hourly. As far as "railroading" employees, Security has better things to do with their time. Do they conduct investigations using cameras, dye packs, GPS, survelliance, use outside law enforcement agencies, sure they do.

If something was stolen from you, wouldn't you expect the same? You would want someone to do something about it.

There is no such thing as a little dishonest, just as there is no such thing as a little pregnant. Either you are or you're not.

And I did know an employee who received $5,000 reward.
The employee did assist in the investigation, was kept confidential.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Not a snitch, though I've been called a "scab" by some on here for APWA posts and a p*ssy by a steward lol. Anyway...back to your question. I've heard rumors of said $5K payouts. Its all hush-hush. In my helper training class in December '05, a security manager came in and told us a few stories of driver theft. One helper that reported a theft was given a $1K reward and a glowing recommendation to HR by that security manager. I think the guy said the helper was hired into the hub and he'd seen him a few times--first as an hourly, later as a sup and finally on-road (random encounter) as a driver considering full-time supervision. Rocky
i would never rat out another employee no matter how much i hated them. however, there are two exceptions: theft or any action that puts anyone in danger of any kind of injury.

when someone steals, our customers that trust us with their packages lose. they're the reason why i get a direct deposit weekly and my tuition paid for quarterly. like it or not, we're here for the customer. this includes theft directly from the company; it's immoral and it contributes to our deteriorated corporate culture.

when someone does something unsafe, we all lose. the customers lose because of damages and delays, the shift loses because they're one man down, the union loses because unsafe actions are done 95% of the time in order to increase productivity (we get NO reward for doing this and it can be an excuse to short-staff shifts), and the workers lose because supervisors will turn a blind eye to this and almost expect us to work unsafely. 98% of inside safety injuries are 100% preventable, that's what pisses me off.

everything else, i'm not squealing out of principle. on the front line, the employer does very little for me, there's no reason why i will do much for them.

and even if i squeal, our contract states that any word from a bargaining unit employee cannot be used against disciplining another bargaining unit employee.

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward

now you're changing your position from don't rat to I don't know what I would do because I have never seen it.

So management stuck the goods in their hands and then tried to fire them for it?

Its real simple position. There is no grey area here. You either turn a thief in or you bond with the thief through your code of honor.
Which one is it Red?
Tie now whos answering a question with a question? You have never framed or lied on a union employee in your whole career? I find that hard to believe if you made it all the way to manager without frauding, lieing, stealing, and cheating. If you didnt before you got there its almost a certainty that your doing it now, and thats why your refusing to answer the question. The question was whats worse an hourly stealing from the company, or a manager stealing fron the back bone of the company?

Channahon

[quote=705red;189445]
The question was whats worse an hourly stealing from the company, or a manager stealing fron the back bone of the company?[/quote]

What kind of question is that and how would you answer it?

A dishonest employee is just that, regardless of hourly or management. Neither of them deserve to work for UPS.

705red

Browncafe Steward
[quote=705red;189445]
The question was whats worse an hourly stealing from the company, or a manager stealing fron the back bone of the company?

A dishonest employee is just that, regardless of hourly or management. Neither of them deserve to work for UPS.[/quote]

If you know your comanager is fudging the numbers will you report him? These managers do it all day everyday and get away with it, ive had managers tell me theres no way their ( other managers) not playing with numbers, but i dont see them ratting. But when it cones to hourlies we batter rat them out, thats a double standard theft is theft.

satellitedriver

A dishonest employee is just that, regardless of hourly or management. Neither of them deserve to work for UPS.

If you know your comanager is fudging the numbers will you report him? These managers do it all day everyday and get away with it, ive had managers tell me theres no way their ( other managers) not playing with numbers, but i dont see them ratting. But when it cones to hourlies we batter rat them out, thats a double standard theft is theft.[/QUOTE]

If you know for a fact that managers are fudgeing, nail them. If not, all you are saying is hearsay. Numbers can be traced. Stealing is stealing, no matter who does it or the amount stolen.

Channahon

If you know your comanager is fudging the numbers will you report him? These managers do it all day everyday and get away with it, ive had managers tell me theres no way their ( other managers) not playing with numbers, but i dont see them ratting. But when it cones to hourlies we batter rat them out, thats a double standard theft is theft.[/quote]
During my career in UPS management I have seen both hourly and management lose their jobs for integrity. I have been involved in the investigations, interviews and terminations of these employees. It is not an easy thing to do, knowing an employee is walking out the door, to go home and let their family know they no longer have a job.

A long time ago, I read an article stating:
"When making a decision and there is some doubt, ask yourself, if your action was published in a newspaper, would you want your mother to read the article?."

So to answer your question - yes, I would rat a dishonest employee, be it management or hourly. And not have any qualms about doing so, what is right is right, what is wrong is wrong.