Anyone here in the Knoxville, TN area?

Songwritersoul

Hi guys,

I'm about 2.5 years out from retirement in Portland, Or...yeah, where all the entitled, violent, narcissist A-holes are downtown wrecking the city, and I'm planning on retiring around the Knoxville area. I spent a week there last year and checked out Farrugut, Lenoir City and some other suburbs around the city, but am going to go back next year and check out some of the towns that are 45 mins to an hour out to see if I can find a great home or land with great mountain or lake views, but that are located near decent grocery stores and basic amenities so I don't have to drive an hour to get milk.

If any of you are very familiar with the surrounding area, I'd love to get some suggestions on towns to visit and check out.
I'm considering places around Norris Lake and Cherokee Reservoir and some areas on the various rivers, but there are so many towns and area, it'd be great to get some suggestions on great towns or suburbs that will have nice water or mountain views and decent local amenities.
Since we UPS drivers really have a good pulse on the areas we work in, I thought maybe I could get some good info here.

Thanks,
Steve

rod

Retired 22 years
My wife and I considered moving to the eastern side of Tenn,. when we took a motorcycle / camping trip there a few years ago. It's a beautiful area. We rode the Tail of the Dragon (lots of videos of it on Youtube -317 turns in 11 miles) which is in a beautiful area. There was a few smaller towns that looked like they had everything available. Telico Plains, Madisonville and Vonore. I was fully ready to move but the wife got scared off when she found out how hot a humid it gets there in the summer.

Songwritersoul

My wife and I considered moving to the eastern side of Tenn,. when we took a motorcycle / camping trip there a few years ago. It's a beautiful area. We rode the Tail of the Dragon (lots of videos of it on Youtube -317 turns in 11 miles) which is in a beautiful area. There was a few smaller towns that looked like they had everything available. Telico Plains, Madisonville and Vonore. I was fully ready to move but the wife got scared off when she found out how hot a humid it gets there in the summer.
Yeah, it is very green and beautiful. I live in Portland, Or so I was surprised to see a place back east that is as green and loaded with lakes and rivers as here. I was in Knoxville in August and I noticed it was a bit more humid than Portland, but not by much. The weather statistics are fairly similar between the two cities in terms of humidity. Being that I'll be retired and not delivering boxes, I'm not that concerned about that anyway. I've looked at Vonore some. Thanks for the suggestions.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yeah, it is very green and beautiful. I live in Portland, Or so I was surprised to see a place back east that is as green and loaded with lakes and rivers as here. I was in Knoxville in August and I noticed it was a bit more humid than Portland, but not by much. The weather statistics are fairly similar between the two cities in terms of humidity. Being that I'll be retired and not delivering boxes, I'm not that concerned about that anyway. I've looked at Vonore some. Thanks for the suggestions.
My sister-in-law and her husband built their dream retirement home just outside of Telico Plains in a retirement village on a lake. Lived in it one moth then he died--that sucks. She stlll lives there and loves it.

Shiftless

Portland Oregon?

Do yourself right! Make sure you know your retirement benefits before you retire! You are in The WCT. Your retirement may or may not have restrictions when you move out of the seven western states.

As an example: We had a guy in So Cal retire and move to Oklahoma. Well he didn't check his retirement health insurance and found out if he resided out of the WCT covered area his insurance when he moved to Oklahoma became what Oklahoma ups'ers?Teamsters got. Not like the Cadillac insurance he had in California under the WCT. Maybe that has changed?? Don't know?

Just sayin! Cross your tee's and dot your eye's before you leap into retirement.

ALSO: Don't trust anything you read here, there are too many variables thru out the land of Teamster Retirement! Trust but VERIFY!

Here is a link to get you started. Welcome | The Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust

Up In Smoke

Hi guys,

I'm about 2.5 years out from retirement in Portland, Or...yeah, where all the entitled, violent, narcissist A-holes are downtown wrecking the city, and I'm planning on retiring around the Knoxville area. I spent a week there last year and checked out Farrugut, Lenoir City and some other suburbs around the city, but am going to go back next year and check out some of the towns that are 45 mins to an hour out to see if I can find a great home or land with great mountain or lake views, but that are located near decent grocery stores and basic amenities so I don't have to drive an hour to get milk.

If any of you are very familiar with the surrounding area, I'd love to get some suggestions on towns to visit and check out.
I'm considering places around Norris Lake and Cherokee Reservoir and some areas on the various rivers, but there are so many towns and area, it'd be great to get some suggestions on great towns or suburbs that will have nice water or mountain views and decent local amenities.
Since we UPS drivers really have a good pulse on the areas we work in, I thought maybe I could get some good info here.

Thanks,
Steve
I bought land in Mooresburg 3 years ago with plans of retirement. Tennessee just raised their property taxes 35% across the boards so plan accordingly

Songwritersoul

Portland Oregon?

Do yourself right! Make sure you know your retirement benefits before you retire! You are in The WCT. Your retirement may or may not have restrictions when you move out of the seven western states.

As an example: We had a guy in So Cal retire and move to Oklahoma. Well he didn't check his retirement health insurance and found out if he resided out of the WCT covered area his insurance when he moved to Oklahoma became what Oklahoma ups'ers?Teamsters got. Not like the Cadillac insurance he had in California under the WCT. Maybe that has changed?? Don't know?

Just sayin! Cross your tee's and dot your eye's before you leap into retirement.

ALSO: Don't trust anything you read here, there are too many variables thru out the land of Teamster Retirement! Trust but VERIFY!

Here is a link to get you started. Welcome | The Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust
That's good advice. I think I already checked on that, but will check with a business agent to make sure. Thanks.

Songwritersoul

I bought land in Mooresburg 3 years ago with plans of retirement. Tennessee just raised their property taxes 35% across the boards so plan accordingly
I believe that property tax increase was only for Davidson county/Nashville area so that shouldn't effect you or me. I know better than to live too close to a major city. I won some extra taxes when I lived in Multnomah county/Portland.

Up In Smoke

I believe that property tax increase was only for Davidson county/Nashville area so that shouldn't effect you or me. I know better than to live too close to a major city. I won some extra taxes when I lived in Multnomah county/Portland.
Good call, I assumed it was statewide. I bought a 2 acre parcel and hope to build someday.

Shiftless

That's good advice. I think I already checked on that, but will check with a business agent to make sure. Thanks.

Generally speaking, business agents are friend - ing clueless to the requirement's for your retirement mandated by your pension!
Think of them as two different world's!

Where I was leading you to before is the real deal from the WCT Pension! This is your only verifiable source as they control your retirement monies.

From my experience I would Never Ever! Take the advice from a BA on such an important matter that will last you the rest of your life!

Do your homework is all I can say.

Don't be that guy who retired than says " I didn't know I had to report my new job hours if I work after I have retired and I'm under 65"
"Heck they are even telling me how much I can work" !

OOOPS! Maybe you wanted this to be a surprise down the road?

Dos Centavo's

Songwritersoul

Generally speaking, business agents are friend - ing clueless to the requirement's for your retirement mandated by your pension!
Think of them as two different world's!

Where I was leading you to before is the real deal from the WCT Pension! This is your only verifiable source as they control your retirement monies.

From my experience I would Never Ever! Take the advice from a BA on such an important matter that will last you the rest of your life!

Do your homework is all I can say.

Don't be that guy who retired than says " I didn't know I had to report my new job hours if I work after I have retired and I'm under 65"
"Heck they are even telling me how much I can work" !

OOOPS! Maybe you wanted this to be a surprise down the road?

Dos Centavo's
Thanks, I 'll check with WCT. I am not planning on doing any work when I retire other than some guitar lessons and stuff like that so not worried about hours etc. Thank you.

Songwritersoul

Literally just got sent in a giant circle for almost an hour trying to get an answer about my health benefits if I move from Portland to Knoxville when I retire. From the Pac Coast Benefits trust to NW administrators, WCT etc. I was sent to 7 different numbers by 7 different people. All of them said they weren't the right department and gave me a new number until the 2nd to last person gave told the the 3rd number I was given was the correct one. I called that one and they gave me a different number to which the person stated they can't help me and have no idea who handles that. I was about to go out of my skull. Just wanted to know if my healthcare changes if I retire from Portland, then move to Knoxville, TN. Not only could none of them answer my question, but none of them even had the correct number for the correct department at the correct company in their system. So, I'm back to my business agent and I'm going to let it be his nightmare to solve. These administration companies are likely making millions of dollars handling our accounts and it shouldn't be this freakin' hard to get a question answered. Man, it's almost as bad as our 800 number. ;)

Shiftless

And these are the people who implement the rules in which your retirement is handled by contracts on your behalf by the Master and Regional agreements.

So know you see "DON'T TRUST ANYONE" get it in writing.

I would assume they are so overwhelmed with people retiring they are just WHACK! Just a guess.

I have had nothing but a good experience with them. Altho I have been retired over 15 years. I have had very little contact after my retirement date. The people I talked to then all asked similar questions "if you don't mind, why are so many employee's retiring?" They had not a clue all the baby boomers from the all states expansion of Interstate and Intrastate UPS BOOM. Now with China Virus it must be crazy like I said. NO excuse! Important stuff for you!

Where does your health insurance come from now? Union or UPS?

Songwritersoul

And these are the people who implement the rules in which your retirement is handled by contracts on your behalf by the Master and Regional agreements.

So know you see "DON'T TRUST ANYONE" get it in writing.

I would assume they are so overwhelmed with people retiring they are just WHACK! Just a guess.

I have had nothing but a good experience with them. Altho I have been retired over 15 years. I have had very little contact after my retirement date. The people I talked to then all asked similar questions "if you don't mind, why are so many employee's retiring?" They had not a clue all the baby boomers from the all states expansion of Interstate and Intrastate UPS BOOM. Now with China Virus it must be crazy like I said. NO excuse! Important stuff for you!

Where does your health insurance come from now? Union or UPS?
My current healthcare is Blue Cross Shield through the William Earhart company. I just called the office and I'm waiting to hear back with an "official" word from Mark Davidson, our local president. I have a couple years to go so I'll try and track down who handles it, but I'm done for today with running in circles. Thanks.

Shiftless

Just out of curiosity? You don't have to say!

You posted here in BC in Aug 2015 you had in 27 years in. Its 2020 so add 5 more to that puts you at 32.

I see you posted here you have another 2.5 years to go? Are you trying to hit the 35 years of service mark for a particular reason?

Is there an added benefit for the 35 mark in your region?

Songwritersoul

Just out of curiosity? You don't have to say!

You posted here in BC in Aug 2015 you had in 27 years in. Its 2020 so add 5 more to that puts you at 32.

I see you posted here you have another 2.5 years to go? Are you trying to hit the 35 years of service mark for a particular reason?

Is there an added benefit for the 35 mark in your region?
No, I'm out ASAP. I was a p/t sup for about 7 years so that's why I have 2.5 more years. I could have retired, I think, last year if I hadn't made the management mistake. :) Oh well. My pension will likely be a bit higher because the contribution is better than it was back then anyway.

Shiftless

Cool thanks for sharing.

For those I knew who became a PT sup felt altho it was the minor league of management it was enough of a wake up call for some of my friends who went in to say friend - This!. Most either quit and a few made it back to the union side. Generally under the guise of school and time requirements at college were just to overwhelming to be a PT sup. I have only a couple friends who made the distance and are very well off. Paid a price for it tho. Those who went full time management almost all either quit or became drunken divorced bitter people from my point of view. Don't get me wrong, I met and still associate with some guys to this day who wouldn't sell their soul as many did.

Congrats on making it to the retirement group here soon!

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Check around eastern/se/southern sides of Knoxville. My family owns a couple thousand acres of farm land around there and it’s peaceful.

rod

Retired 22 years
Literally just got sent in a giant circle for almost an hour trying to get an answer about my health benefits if I move from Portland to Knoxville when I retire. From the Pac Coast Benefits trust to NW administrators, WCT etc. I was sent to 7 different numbers by 7 different people. All of them said they weren't the right department and gave me a new number until the 2nd to last person gave told the the 3rd number I was given was the correct one. I called that one and they gave me a different number to which the person stated they can't help me and have no idea who handles that. I was about to go out of my skull. Just wanted to know if my healthcare changes if I retire from Portland, then move to Knoxville, TN. Not only could none of them answer my question, but none of them even had the correct number for the correct department at the correct company in their system. So, I'm back to my business agent and I'm going to let it be his nightmare to solve. These administration companies are likely making millions of dollars handling our accounts and it shouldn't be this freakin' hard to get a question answered. Man, it's almost as bad as our 800 number. ;)
Welcome to UPS/Teamster Retirement Planning. Nobody knows anything about anything. Its really sad. When my wife retired from the State of Minnesota they sent her and a bunch of other future retirees to an all day paid planning seminar in Minneapolis where EVERYTHING was laid out and explained. When I retired from UPS you would have sworn I was the first person in the history of the company / union who had ever retired. Everyone I talked to (Company or Union) gave me the run around.

Overpaid Union Thug

Hi guys,

Thanks,
Steve

Both sides of my family are from the Knoxville area. Some still live there. I’d avoid Knoxville, or any other “city” in Tennessee for that matter. They are getting too crowded and taxes are going up. I’m familiar with Norris Lake cause my grandparents are from nearby. Been to Norris Dam to fish many times as a kid. I like the outskirts of Maryville and Alcoa. Had family there too. They aren’t too far from The Smoky Mountains.

Farragut is a “high maintenance” area if you know what I mean. I’d go for the burbs or mountains near Gatlinburg. Plus, Knoxville proper is supposed to be one of the worst places to live if you have spring allergies. Honesty....middle Tennessee is the better choice if you’re not wanting to be near the mountains. As long as you avoid Davidson County (Nashville) and Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin) the cost of housing and cost of living will be awesome. There are numerous lakes and rivers in middle Tennessee that are less touristy than what you’ll see in East Tennessee.