apartments. heavy stuff.

AllOnTheHorses

So I don't blame people for ordering stuff they want.. no matter where they live. But there needs to be limits to how much we are expected to carry up three or four flights of stairs.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Nothing higher than two floors on my area. That being said, I am not lugging heavy or irregular parcels up the stairs by myself. I will get a signature and leave them inside the entrance door or offer to place them in the garage.
Received a customer complaint over this practice a couple years ago. Told my supervisor that I couldn't keep those parcels in my power zone while maintaining three points of contact. Felt it was unsafe and threw their safe work methods right back at them.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If they aren't home to help you carry it up 3-4 flights of stairs then NI1

I'll tag the door and leave it downstairs cause I don't want that big sumbitch in my truck all day

Wrong.

Wrong on both counts.

ARTICLE 44. OVER 70 POUND SERVICE

PACKAGE HANDLING

The parties agree that the health and safety of the employees are of the utmost importance. The Employer agrees that UPS management will not insist that any unsafe action be undertaken and the Union agrees to encourage its members to cooperate in effectuating the handling, pick-up and delivery of parcels without exposing themselves to safety hazards.

Section 1. On Area Package Handling

No employee shall be required to handle any over 70 pound packages alone if it is the employee’s good faith belief that such handling would be a safety hazard to herself or himself. In such cases, the Employer shall provide whichever of the following is requested in good faith by the employee in handling over 70 pound packages:

1. Another bargaining unit employee for assistance, or

2. Appropriate lifting/handling devices, or

3. Another bargaining unit employee and an appropriate lifting/handling device for handling, pick-up or delivery circumstances that require both bargaining unit help and an appropriate lifting/handling device.

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

Man up.... and do the right thing.

-Bug-

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My center just lost a 33 year employee to a heavy parcel. Had a Next Day Air whose label showed 148 lbs. He backs up to the dock and asks the receiving person for assistance. While lifting this parcel up to the dock platform he blows out his back. Actual weight of the crate was 235 lbs. How could this shipment even make it this far through our system?
He is now scheduled for a four level back fusion and has to retire.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My center just lost a 33 year employee to a heavy parcel. Had a Next Day Air whose label showed 148 lbs. He backs up to the dock and asks the receiving person for assistance. While lifting this parcel up to the dock platform he blows out his back. Actual weight of the crate was 235 lbs. How could this shipment even make it this far through our system?

How did that even make it on to a pkg car ?

Forklift ?

Indecisi0n

His lawyer must love him right now.

8 Hour Day

I've been through this so many times I don't even ponder what to do. I ignore the label since there is zero accountability for the customer to no honest. I test the weight... If I can safely deliver it, I do. If not, notify mgmt, move along and sheet as missed at the end if the day if help hasn't arrived (it never has).

Service failures... Mgmt kryptonite.