APWA ???

30andout

oktobe I agree strongly (like on the ERA joke) about being ignored but I suggest you check out the APWA personally and then make your own judgement.

S

swingdriver

All i know is: In the past few years the dues have gone up, and the benefits have gone down. What can the teamsters do for you?

B

brett636

30andout- I don't base my opinions on a dog and pony show thrown by a group of people and their lawyers. I don't believe the teamsters are much better, but atleast I know they are a real union.

30andout

brett.....by your lame comment I am sure you have heard the guys from the APWA speak...right?

B

brett636

30andout- I've read the website, I know their claims. I've done my research, and I know enough to not support the APWA. If I wanted to be fed a bunch of BS I can go talk to any UPS manager.

30andout

Thats what I thought, brett. This is just your opinion of what you have read. Try attending a meeting and then talk about it. What do you have to lose?

B

brett636

No, this is my conclusion about what I have read. Let me give you an idea. Looking at the website for the legal firm representing the APWA, their specialties include...

Defeated union organizing attempts for clients in major manufacturing sectors, such as steel, paper, health care, printing, construction and mining.

Represented clients in decertification of unions

Trained all levels of management for a variety of employers in union avoidance

And they even have an article on their website titled "Beating the Union"
https://web.archive.org/web/2007100...lliamsmullen.com/news/articles_detail/009.htm

Gee, seems to me a certain group is trying to bust a union versus creating one.

30andout

I dissagree bret I think their just trying to make a better union for all UPSers. Again just listen to what they have to say and ask questions and argue with them if you want. They have a lot more facts and info than you or I.

B

brett636

over9five- Hoffa(current union president) didn't start this union, he simply leads it. Besides, this isn't my only reason for not supporting the APWA, just an example.

30andout- LOL, you disagree? The writing is right there in plain black and white. If you disagree with that then you are obviously a total idiot, and don't need to be preaching the APWA gospel to anyone.

30andout

bret everyone has their own oponion. I have been at UPS 33 years and know what the Teamsters have done for me. You better have someone change your diaper now your getting cranky.

B

brett636

30andout- I like how you try to disguise fact as opinion. The facts speak for themselves. If you can't see that then your hopeless.

N

nospinzone

Hey Brett, how many phone calls/emails have you traded with either of the APWA officers to call them out on their alleged inaccuracies?

B

brett636

nospinzone- Probably about the same number that I do with all those get rich quick schemes I see advertised on late night television. Zero.

U

ups79

I am sure they have proposed many things in these meetings. If they have written any of these proposals down, can't any of you believers cut and paste so that we could read the proposals. I have been to meetings similar to these. They usually are nothing more then fist pumpings and loud outburst about the unfair treatment people have received. "WE ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE", so on and so on. They usually take place on Sunday. You walk in for coffee, bagels, and donuts. To greet you also is a bucket requesting a donation to pay for the motel room and donuts. You leave, wake monday, go to work and nothing has changed. You missed out on a day of leaf raking, nascar, or NFL football.
Brett you are right.

D

ddomino

APWA's page where they claim they can produce a return on assetts of 12.34% over 30 years, giving each member a monthly pension of $7000.00. Right seven thousand dollars.

Don't take this as I am a believer, because I am not. I have investments that are now down money, and our 401k plan is only even to up slightly. I think what these guys are doing is providing the best senario if they were to choose the right funds at the right time to buy or sell. Another claim "our pension manager only charges you 1/10 of one percent to manage". That number alone is way below industrie standards.

The thing I am left with is more questions.

O

ok2bclever

So they show how they can invest our money and make a killing for us.

Means nothing.

That reminds me how you can go to any investment guru's site and find out how you could have turned ten bucks into two hundred thousand dollars some time in the past.

Including a few I have used during the period they are using as an example and somehow I am still closer to the ten bucks level than the two hundred thousand.

I am not stating I am against the APWA, but I am less than impressed by the legal representation they have acquired and a paranoid man would think this would be an excellent ploy to try to take the membership from a valid (if less than stellar) union to rookie organization with optimistic, well meaning dreamers led by nefarious legal dogs in the employee of anti-union corporations.

30 and nospin, you ask for us to investigate and then condemn those that do and don't agree with your faith based thoughts.

I think the feeder founders of this group are actually well meaning and sincere, but having them come and talk would still just be talk.

The same thing as a revival, but with the same requirements, trust them on faith.

It will require far more than good intentions and fervent voices saying Amen! to convince me this would be a good move in an environment that is very anti-union and runs over the innocent without looking back or slowing down.

So as unsatisfactory as the Teamsters are saying anything would be better is naive and frankly dangerous.

30andout

OK2 I am already screwed by UPS and the teamsters I have 33 years in and am looking at another 7 to 10. I have very little to gain by the APWA but they have found a way to offer better and cheaper ins. as well as other things. Yes you and everyone else could have something to gain by listening to them. What could it hurt, are you afraid of being wrong?

O

ok2bclever

No, more afraid of being right.

Nothing wrong with going to a meeting and listening.

Just stating that talk, even really good sounding talk doesn't prove anything.

Because talk is cheap.

Results, now that is something to be considered.

D

ddomino

All politicians promise the world till they get what they want, then they do as they please. I think this would happen here also because, as ok said, talk is cheap. As a UPSer we should all know that. We have been fed so much :censored2: from mgmg over the years.