Archives

D

dannyboy

The load is less, but the time commit is there, all day. Then of course there is the I gotta get home for the picnick this afternoon, I stayed out too late friday night at the party after the game/date and the list goes on and on. While they have many less packages to deliver in a day than you or I, the pressures, time deadlines etc are all there.

Then couple that with the "even" dispatch that goes on and the shortage of area and delivery knowledge, the risk is multiplied many times over. And without the training and maturity that most delivery drivers have.......well you can see where that thought is going.

d

M

mojobuc

know a guy that hit mailbox in his first 30 days, didn't report it and from what i understood, was to fired. But was back on the job, a week later. Back driving within 30 days, which I thought if you had an accidnet within 30, was an automatic year off the road.
Anyway, he apperently hit another mailbox with a week or 2, and the ustomer saw him. He begged her not to tell and he would take care of it. She called anyway, he did not report it, and again, I thought he was gone. This was over 6 months ago, and he is currently driving every day.\clipart {blagube} who knows.

F

feederdude

This is for all the people feeling picked on.

Get over it!!!
Feederdude

R

rushfan

We had a person break a window because bulkhead door was open, and hand truck rolled out of the back. Nothing happened.
We will get dinged with an accident if a mirror is broken though.
It's all just one of those "UPS" Things.

B

bonusking

welcome to UPS's idea of treating every employee fair!

B

bonusking

Compared to that last center manager, who btw- was fired not transfered, we are too happy.

Your right though, they always ship the ones out somewhere if they get along to well with the people they have to work with.....why the hell is that!?!

G

gman

Sqeeky wheel gets the grease!

I just tell 'em how it is. If they can't handle the truth then I guess I'll have to deal with their Wrath! The customer is always right, not the boss or another driver. Everybody has a job to do and when they take advantage of someone, it's not right. Starting the ball rolling when they are wrong (driver or sup) and abusing their power can put them on the street as fast as me. We have had several top sups including a division manager fired for going too far in trying to make numbers look good. That truly made me feel a lot more confident in upper management.

(Message edited by gman on February 29, 2004)

O

omegaman

Bonusking, they only win when we let them single us out and treat us as they wish with no repercussions. If you and the rest of your center punished management for their bad actions, they might act differently. Thankfully, most of us stick together in my center and make management pay dearly when they act like criminals. If you use your collective power, they can never win.

M

muncher

I know what you mean mojobuc, we had a guy fired 3 times for the same thing and everytime he got his job back, also whay mannbrn said is so true about part-timers and the car wash smashing up the trucks, I see how the car washers drive at night, you would think it was a nascar race. I also know that most of the drivers will not report a minor accident if they can get away with it. Some of them have a saying around the center, hry just blame it on the car wash!, I mean once someone jumps in and drives your truck its on them. 99% of the time the iddiots never look at the trucks.

T

tranham

Question: As a PT cover driver in Tennessee I get to keep my cover driver rate if I win a FT driver position(or at least that's what the contract says). Now, since that is impossible here becuase FT combo people get first choice, I took a combo job. If I do get a FT driving job now do I start at the bottom pay rate or do I get to keep my old cover driver rate until I top out? Company here says no, contract is too vague. Anyone know any people who got to keep the cover driver rate in this scenario??? Thanks!

Robert

T

tranham

I worked the car wash for several years, these guys scratch cars and break mirrors on a daily basis. Keep in mind that car washers are not held to the standards of a package car driver most of time. But it's who wants to push the issue that matters. I hit (really just moved it 4 inches) a plastic trashcan parking a package car on car wash. A safety guy tried to get my boss to file it as an accident. On the other hand a PT sup got fustrated at the car wash one night. He wanted work for his unloaders and took a 1200 out of the line up. 8 ft gash, cut the side open in one small section! Bumber nearly }ripped off other car. No time off for him. Another example: FT driver sup has had 3 accidents in the last year. No time off, but his promotion is not looking good. I think there is a double standard sometimes but if you are smart you play the nice guy and don't file frivilious grevenices. If they like you or you work hard you can get a break if you make a mistake. It's not fair, but it's a fact.

D

dannyboy

Gman

If you are telling the truth, and your posts happened the way you describe, then as a driver and shop steward, Im very suprised that you still work for UPS. Your management team are leaving themselves open for a major lawsuit, and I have a hard time believing that. See thread Interesting tidbit.

So I figure Mark pegged you. Lies.

d

M

mojobuc

starting to wonder about some 'fairness' myself.
Went through all the procedures to be a p/t sup. I was supposed to be a lock becuase the building was short 4, now 5 sups since the night guy just quit.
Seems they already have hired 2 in the AM, and I have yet to hear anything.
Starting to think they are afraid of me, maybe since they refused to let me drive since I am a safety concern, I may be some sort of 'concern' as a sup.
Now, not to blow my own horn, but I know I am more then qualified, since I run my own small business, that is steadily growing.

Guess I just unload packages for a while, get my exercise, make some cash, and concentrate like my life depends on it(closing on 40, and unloading feeders, it actually may), to build the business into a monster success, and then go.

N

nevadapaul

If they are aware of your successful part-time business they may be hesitant to promote you and lose you later down the road due to your commitment to the other enterprise. JMO

F

feeder

We'll I passed my UPS road test driving a pkg-car and I never ever drove stick in my life years ago. Same thing in feeders, never stepped in a tractor in my life, but qualified in 2 weeks( 10 training days) Passed my UPS road test and obtained my CDL.. When you know you can make up to 65 to 70k a year driving, Its amazing what you can do to pass and succeed........

M

mojobuc

Just got the call, I am to report to work tommorrow as a P/T sup.
I was told I have actually been one for 2 weeks, but ...
Well guess the hard-work part is over, and the mental anquish begins.
And I had already talked myself up to unloading for another 6 months. Figured it was a good way to get in shape and get paid for it for my 20 year reunion. Now I may have to actually join a gym, or try doing it on my own at home.

T

toonertoo

This center seems to be unknown to the rest of the ups family because things happen here that dont seem to happen anywhere else. Although violence is not the answer or condoned, it is self preservation to stick up for your self. When a route that starts 3 miles from point A gets help with air, But one that starts 20 miles away doesnt and is expected to help with the closer driver, it is favoritism, because one driver will do it and pay for it by working til 8, and the other will sail in at 5pm. But the closer driver only wants help because it is inconvienient to his day to not get air and ground off at the same time. This type of driver knows nothing of servicing his customers, its all about his day. But to avoid the hassles, management gives the whiner help. So when you have to say NO, and sometimes profusely refuse, its not about violence or Lying, it is about making everyone work for their money, as this is not a cushy job, or an 8hr job, or a stress free job. Everyone works hard and no one should push his load on anyone else. The person you are assuming is a liar is not and is one of the first to volunteer to go help other drivers with an overload in the evening, long after the whiners are gone home.

T

toonertoo

Good luck, and if past precedence is any measure of things to come, you wont need a
gym.

You will do well! Keep us posted on the overtime pay, the doubles, the hours etc, because I would bet there is a silent bunch of people wanting to try it..

M

mojobuc

and UPS says I am a 'safety concern' we those type of drivers out there? (not directed towards you, destad8)
I actually passed my test drive on the way to cover school. Manager that graded me, said it was the highest grade he ever gave, but had to mark off 2 demerits, cause "I can't give you a perfect score"
1 was at first take off, 1 st to 2nd, I grinded a bit, and I didn't stop far enough behind the white stripe at a stop light, once.
Have driven just about everything, 30' goosenecks, 16' stepvans, 24-26' box, pulled 24' trailers behind the box into NYC, Chicago all over for about 18 years but.....

Seems they should consider taken in work and driving experience more into the equation and not a physical limitation alone as a safety issue.
I'll be sure and remember that as I hopefully move upward in the company.