Are Political Parties Nearing Extinction?

It will be fine

Those locked into a strict political party identification will say No but we are nearing a point in which half of the electorate don't identify with any political party. 48% of Millennials no longer identify with either democratic or republican party.

In 2014', a new record was set for the number of people polled who identify as independent.

Even the "REAL" liberals are understanding this and daring to talk about it.

I don't think it matters much how people identify themselves. The money and the votes all end up going to the 2 parties. It'll be the same as it ever was with the 2 parties slowing adjusting their stances to attract voters.

wkmac

I don't think it matters much how people identify themselves. The money and the votes all end up going to the 2 parties. It'll be the same as it ever was with the 2 parties slowing adjusting their stances to attract voters.

For the moment, this is true, but as the people themselves begin to shift away, so too will the money as in the end, it is the people themselves that the money is intended to sway. Noam Chomsky's Manufactured Consent comes to mind.

Bernie Sanders recently sat down with Trump voters and the conversation took an interesting turn. This streak of independence may well be far deeper than either party wants to dare contemplate.

Many Sanders supporters feel that the Clinton machine in league with the Democratic machinery scuttled the Sanders effort (I think they have cause too) and more are abandoning this side of the party state even while Sanders himself seems to try and hold it together.

Similar efforts were used in 2012' to show Dennis Kucinich the door as we as on the republican side in 2008 and 2012' Ron Paul was the GOP's victim. Trump, regardless if he's good or bad, in time I think will either be crushed by the same forces, some call the Deep State or if Trump caves and plays ball, the same people still get hurt and when I say people I mean the working class (a class made up across an working class economic strata and not an exclusive economic class) whose backs are against the wall. When this working class does comes to realize how both parties play and have played them, then we cross the event horizon and this may be the extinction event I question about.

Should this occur, I look forward to see how this new conversation begins to play out.

It will be fine

For the moment, this is true, but as the people themselves begin to shift away, so too will the money as in the end, it is the people themselves that the money is intended to sway. Noam Chomsky's Manufactured Consent comes to mind.

Bernie Sanders recently sat down with Trump voters and the conversation took an interesting turn. This streak of independence may well be far deeper than either party wants to dare contemplate.

Many Sanders supporters feel that the Clinton machine in league with the Democratic machinery scuttled the Sanders effort (I think they have cause too) and more are abandoning this side of the party state even while Sanders himself seems to try and hold it together.

Similar efforts were used in 2012' to show Dennis Kucinich the door as we as on the republican side in 2008 and 2012' Ron Paul was the GOP's victim. Trump, regardless if he's good or bad, in time I think will either be crushed by the same forces, some call the Deep State or if Trump caves and plays ball, the same people still get hurt and when I say people I mean the working class (a class made up across an working class economic strata and not an exclusive economic class) whose backs are against the wall. When this working class does comes to realize how both parties play and have played them, then we cross the event horizon and this may be the extinction event I question about.

Should this occur, I look forward to see how this new conversation begins to play out.
Bernie and Trump are both examples of what I'm taking about. Bernie spent his entire political career as an independent, but when he wanted to make a run he did it as a democrat. He went through the party because they have the resources to support a national campaign. The result will likely be the democrats moving to the left to attract his voters. Bernie knew there was no chance to run as an independent and when he lost the primary he fully supported the democratic nominee.

I always vote 3rd party when given the option, but I don't think the 2 party system is going anywhere.

wkmac

Bernie and Trump are both examples of what I'm taking about. Bernie spent his entire political career as an independent, but when he wanted to make a run he did it as a democrat. He went through the party because they have the resources to support a national campaign. The result will likely be the democrats moving to the left to attract his voters. Bernie knew there was no chance to run as an independent and when he lost the primary he fully supported the democratic nominee.

I always vote 3rd party when given the option, but I don't think the 2 party system is going anywhere.

At the moment you are correct in your observation regarding Bernie but as the number of independents grow, this undermines the primary system that selects the 2 party candidates that do run for President. The other problem for independents that works against independents is the monopoly that the 2 parties hold over elective politics. As independents grow and start to feel disenfranchised, the pressures will grow locally and it is on the local level where the most effective change can begin to take place but it is the easiest to elect an independent. Some of this is beginning to already occur across the country and this is what becomes the conversation changer. The fact that half of millennials are themselves independent itself makes for an interesting conversation.