Before August 1, 2018 / After August 1, 2018 PT Wages

Package Stick

"Send it."
My seniority date is early July 2018 (I have confirmed with my BA), not August.

My current pay rate is $14.50.

"All part-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2018 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year but will in no case receive less than the hourly start rate specified on August 1st 2018-2022 as set forth in (b) below. The total wage increase for each year will be as follows:

2018 seventy cents ($0.70)
2019 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2020 eighty cents ($0.80)
2021 ninety cents ($0.90)
2022 one dollar ($1.00)

My pay rate should be $14.80??? Or I'm I reading the NMA wrong?

Talked to management (not my BA face too face, yet) and they have no clue what to do, or if I'm entitled to the ($0.80).

File a greve??????

MattM

Lots of variables at play here. Is there still a 30 days or 90 day’s probationary period? I was hired in February of a contract end year and obtained ‘seniority’ the end of May. So I jumped in with the new contract. Others I know started in May and officially obtained ‘seniority’ in early August. But that seniority date isn’t really used for anything. My hire day is one thing, my anniversary date is another, and the 90 day probationary date isn’t even known any more.

What was your starting wage in 2018? I realize it was probably under the old contract, so you had backpay in the $3.00 range.

The way I remember it, it took many 4 plus years until they got the GWi, because they were always on their own pay table. You can’t get both the $3.00 raise in 2018 and the $0.70. Same with 2019. Did you get a dollar or $0.75?

I’ll ask around. I feel it’s only the 4-5 year vets who are now at 14.80, and all new hires/ workers under 4 are all together at 14.50

MattM

Another distinction. Some call your seniority date the day you were hired. One still needs to attain seniority. Some places it’s 30 days up to 70 working days.
When were you hired?

Package Stick

"Send it."
Early July 2018 is when I was hired, my BA says that's when my seniority date is. I worked EVERY single day, and I've never called in or missed a workday.

I would've passed probation at the end of August, then it goes back to day one.

My pay rate in 2018 was $10.35.

Guys with a year or two on me went up to $13 with the new contract (as I did, got a mad retro check), then we all went up to $14 in 2019.

Now we're in 2020, I got $14.50, they got $14.80.

I'm 100% sure I get the $0.80 because my seniority date is before August 1st, 2018. I'll look at the list tonight to make 100% sure.

(a) Part-time Employees

All part-time employees who have attained seniority as of August
1, 2018 will receive the following general wage increases for each
contract year but will in no case receive less than the hourly start
rate specified on August 1st 2018-2022 as set forth in (b) below.

The total wage increase for each year will be as follows:

2022 one dollar ($1.00)

(b) Newly hired part-time employees

In recognition of the fact that all of the Company’s part-time jobs
require skills and to eliminate the two (2) tier progression existing
in prior contracts, the parties have agreed to establish one uniform
hourly rate for part-time employees who would have been subject
to a progression. As such, all part-time employees, who are hired
or reach seniority after August 1, 2018 will be paid according to the
following wage schedules:

August 1, 2018 $13.00
August 1, 2019 $14.00
August 1, 2020 $14.50
August 1, 2021 $15.00
August 1, 2022 $15.50

Am I reading the contract wrong??

MattM

Looks right. You had NOT attained seniority by 8/1/2018, if you were merely hired a month prior. It takes 1-3 months to attain seniority, even when they call your hire date your seniority date.

Boston25

Early July 2018 is when I was hired, my BA says that's when my seniority date is. I worked EVERY single day, and I've never called in or missed a workday.

I would've passed probation at the end of August, then it goes back to day one.

My pay rate in 2018 was $10.35.

Guys with a year or two on me went up to $13 with the new contract (as I did, got a mad retro check), then we all went up to $14 in 2019.

Now we're in 2020, I got $14.50, they got $14.80.

I'm 100% sure I get the $0.80 because my seniority date is before August 1st, 2018. I'll look at the list tonight to make 100% sure.

(a) Part-time Employees

All part-time employees who have attained seniority as of August
1, 2018 will receive the following general wage increases for each
contract year but will in no case receive less than the hourly start
rate specified on August 1st 2018-2022 as set forth in (b) below.

The total wage increase for each year will be as follows:

2022 one dollar ($1.00)

(b) Newly hired part-time employees

In recognition of the fact that all of the Company’s part-time jobs
require skills and to eliminate the two (2) tier progression existing
in prior contracts, the parties have agreed to establish one uniform
hourly rate for part-time employees who would have been subject
to a progression. As such, all part-time employees, who are hired
or reach seniority after August 1, 2018 will be paid according to the
following wage schedules:

August 1, 2018 $13.00
August 1, 2019 $14.00
August 1, 2020 $14.50
August 1, 2021 $15.00
August 1, 2022 $15.50

Am I reading the contract wrong??
You are reading it right. But it in the case of the New England supplement once you made seniority your date goes back to the day you started. But not every area is the same.

DriverNerd

I had the same issue come up when I was hired in a contract year (July 2002). My seniority date is my hire date (July 2002), but since I didn't make seniority before August 1, 2002 I made a substantial amount less than everyone else, and every year fell farther behind. Back then those with seniority got $1 year raises and I got 50 cents. Be happy you are close. I was making 10 while those that started 6 months before me made 13.

MattM

Seniority date wording is used as hire date. It’s used for bid lists and vacation forms.

ATTAINING seniority is a different beast for $$$ reasons

I work with a guy who randomly got a $.10 cola increase from 4 months prior to when I started. And yet I was making some $.50-$.80 more then a friend who started just three months after me.
Bottom line, don’t get hired during contract years near or around August 1st.

I worked peak starting in November and was let go in December. My hire date is November 20__. But my seniority date is my newly hired date in March. And my attained seniority date is somewhere is May-June. For union purposes, it’s one date. For insurance reasons, it’s another date. And for monetary reasons, it’s a different date too.

I have a different company hire date than a true seniority date. And it all changes when it comes to vacation forms.
UPS is sloppy. Sloppy but they’ve been surprisingly accurate, payroll wise.

Last edited:

Package Stick

"Send it."
Seniority date wording is used as hire date. It’s used for bid lists and vacation forms.

ATTAINING seniority is a different beast for $$$ reasons

I work with a guy who randomly got a $.10 cola increase from 4 months prior to when I started. And yet I was making some $.50-$.80 more then a friend who started just three months after me.
Bottom line, don’t get hired during contract years near or around August 1st.

I worked peak starting in November and was let go in December. My hire date is November 20__. But my seniority date is my newly hired date in March. And my attained seniority date is somewhere is May-June. For union purposes, it’s one date. For insurance reasons, it’s another date. And for monetary reasons, it’s a different date too.

I have a different company hire date than a true seniority date. And it all changes when it comes to vacation forms.
UPS is sloppy. Sloppy but they’ve been surprisingly accurate, payroll wise.
Everything is the same date for me.

Vacation, insurance, seniority list.

I even got a retro check for all hours up to August 1st (added up the hours when I got it).