Being sent home because work is slow...waiting for a call to come back?

Started as a Seasonal sorter back in September of 2013. Shop stewart never gave me union papers to fill out, so I am not part of the union (don't pay union dues). Was advised in January I would be kept on as a permanent. Filed the "New HIRE" paper work received my ID and officially started Jan 15th. Still no union paper work and still not paying Union Dues. Just today I was sent home 10 Minutes after start time, Full Time Sup told me to go home, that it will be slow for a while and not to return to work until I get a call too. This normal?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It can be until you get seniority.
There is only one thing worse than having the least seniority where you work, and that is having none.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I am retired and removed from your situation.
There will be others that will give you better and specific advice latter on.

And I just noticed that you are new to Brown Cafe.
Welcome and enjoy yourself here and I hope you come back and visit often.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Started as a Seasonal sorter back in September of 2013. Shop stewart never gave me union papers to fill out, so I am not part of the union (don't pay union dues). Was advised in January I would be kept on as a permanent. Filed the "New HIRE" paper work received my ID and officially started Jan 15th. Still no union paper work and still not paying Union Dues. Just today I was sent home 10 Minutes after start time, Full Time Sup told me to go home, that it will be slow for a while and not to return to work until I get a call too. This normal?

That's :censored2:ty. You probably "almost" made seniority before the free period starting in November (typically, depending on region, you need 30 working days out of 90 calendar days.) Are you working the preload? Preload is notorious for laying off new hires.

Once you have seniority, they can't send you home against your will if you haven't gotten your 3.5 hour/day guarantee unless they formally lay you off -- which means you can file for unemployment.

Yup preload. I will look forward to filing for unemployment....

*edit* Wait a minute since technically I started Jan 15th doesn't that put me within the 90day Probation period to which I can be let go without reason? Can I still file for unemployment?

Last edited:

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Yup preload. I will look forward to filing for unemployment....

*edit* Wait a minute since technically I started Jan 15th doesn't that put me within the 90day Probation period to which I can be let go without reason? Can I still file for unemployment?

Easy buddy, don't file for unemployment if you want to continue your unemployment at UPS, you'll be let go. Try to make book, that should be your only priority right now. By the way, what state, city do you work in?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Being a new guy sucks because of that. It will be semi common for a bit. Give it a month and you'll hope UPS is calling to lay you off everytime the phone rings.

UPS Preloader

Check your local supplement as you may already be a seniority employee. In my area (New England) If your called back to work within 60 days of the peak season ending your start date goes back to your September start date which would give you seniority.

RealPerson

Check your local supplement as you may already be a seniority employee. In my area (New England) If your called back to work within 60 days of the peak season ending your start date goes back to your September start date which would give you seniority.
Exactly, Check your Local Supplement. If you are called back and do not miss any days after peak, then you "should" be considered a regular employee.
I was hired Oct 18th WAY Back in the day. They had my Sen date as Jan 2nd, but since I never missed a day, it was reverted back to 18 Oct of the year I started.

I'm the newest guy in my area, so I don't think seniority would make a difference. I've accepted if someone has to go home and know one volunteers, I'm next. The issue I'm having and why I created this discussion is concerning why I have to wait on my shop stewert to join the union, and if it was normal to be sent home for extended periods of time. Luckily for me it wasn't too long off, but what if this happens again for even longer? Sucks really but I guess that's what you guy's all went through.

Exactly, Check your Local Supplement. If you are called back and do not miss any days after peak, then you "should" be considered a regular employee.
I was hired Oct 18th WAY Back in the day. They had my Sen date as Jan 2nd, but since I never missed a day, it was reverted back to 18 Oct of the year I started.
I was hired Oct. 17 and that was my seniority date for over 10 years. Changed it to January 3. When I asked about it I was told it was a typo and don't worry about it. Still listed as Jan. 3.

Nimnim

The Nim
I was hired Oct. 17 and that was my seniority date for over 10 years. Changed it to January 3. When I asked about it I was told it was a typo and don't worry about it. Still listed as Jan. 3.

I understand things like this get passed off a lot, but did you mention it more than once? By now it's not really an issue though since I'm pretty sure you're got somewhere around 30 years.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
True. Was told it would not make any difference for retirement or vacations. Still the idea that it took over 10 years to change it.
Similar date change happened to me.
It was when they went to a new HR system back in the early nineties I think.
The system would not allow Union employee position seniority dates in October - December range.

Another guy, like you, lost almost three months with did affect his vacation weeks available.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I'm the newest guy in my area, so I don't think seniority would make a difference. I've accepted if someone has to go home and know one volunteers, I'm next. The issue I'm having and why I created this discussion is concerning why I have to wait on my shop stewert to join the union, and if it was normal to be sent home for extended periods of time. Luckily for me it wasn't too long off, but what if this happens again for even longer? Sucks really but I guess that's what you guy's all went through.

You're in VA, which means you're covered by the Atlantic Area supplement. You have to work 30 days within 90 consecutive calendar days to attain seniority -- days work in November/December do not count towards seniority. If you were hired before Nov. 1, the days before November do count towards making book.

As far as joining the union, you should approach your steward and/or call the union hall. Dues won't be deducted until you make seniority. As a seasonal, you "fell between the cracks." You're in a right to work state and regular hires are given a 15 minute orientation by a steward with the opportunity to join the union; this usually doesn't happen during orientation for seasonals.

If you show up to work after you make seniority, you're guaranteed 3.5 hours of work. If the company is trying to give you a one day lay-off, they must inform you by telephone call prior to your start time. If they fail to do so, grieve them for your guarantee every time. Additionally, if it fits in your schedule and you work in a hub, you might want to consider transferring to the local sort ASAP (Day, Twilight, Midnight) as there are fewer problems with being laid off on the sorts.

You're in VA, which means you're covered by the Atlantic Area supplement. You have to work 30 days within 90 consecutive calendar days to attain seniority -- days work in November/December do not count towards seniority. If you were hired before Nov. 1, the days before November do count towards making book.

As far as joining the union, you should approach your steward and/or call the union hall. Dues won't be deducted until you make seniority. As a seasonal, you "fell between the cracks." You're in a right to work state and regular hires are given a 15 minute orientation by a steward with the opportunity to join the union; this usually doesn't happen during orientation for seasonals.

If you show up to work after you make seniority, you're guaranteed 3.5 hours of work. If the company is trying to give you a one day lay-off, they must inform you by telephone call prior to your start time. If they fail to do so, grieve them for your guarantee every time. Additionally, if it fits in your schedule and you work in a hub, you might want to consider transferring to the local sort ASAP (Day, Twilight, Midnight) as there are fewer problems with being laid off on the sorts.

So I currently do not have seniority, but I will shortly and I'll be keeping track of the days. And thanks for the heads up about Sorting.