Break no longer an option in DIAD IV

surviv'n_it

Here in chicago they moved it to other work in the board. They are also paying us if we dont take our lunch or breaks, we only put in what we take. Its almost like bonus for me i can work thru my lunch get off earlier and get paid to drive home to see my kids. Plus 9.5 comes earlier and 8 hour requests are now at a 430 punchout if we dont take our lunch.

Exactly. Here in Wisconsin it is the same way. We were just told we had to enter something for our lunch, even if its only five minutes. They do not care about the breaks but if we do not enter some time period for our lunch, we show up on a report the next morning. I usually take my 2 10 min breaks and enter 5 min for a lunch. That way its close to my 30 min lunch and I only lose the 5 min of pay.

Cole

That's on them if it's not in the board because it sure is in the contract. Ask the center on how they want you to record the break.

As far as 0.5 or pay actual, it is ok but they have to let everyone do it and not just select people. Especially if it only benefits them, when say someone calls needing help with business stops, so now they tell you to 05, whereas they said earlier it has to be approved etc...

What's good for 1 is good for all.

browniehound

Here in chicago they moved it to other work in the board. They are also paying us if we dont take our lunch or breaks, we only put in what we take. Its almost like bonus for me i can work thru my lunch get off earlier and get paid to drive home to see my kids. Plus 9.5 comes earlier and 8 hour requests are now at a 430 punchout if we dont take our lunch.

This is the way it should be. I wish it were like this here in Boston. Our day is long enough, it doesn't need to be extended longer by an hour lunch. So a 9 hour day is really a 10 hour day.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sorry Red, your wrong again, we get two paid 10 min breaks and half hour for lunch. We were told we MUST take all and receive a message daily to remind us to put them in the DIAD.
30 you have never proved me wrong once, here in chicago its a one hour lunch and 1 10 minute paid break, but some of the guys are still under old contracts and get 2 10 minute paid breaks. Im really starting to beleive your in management, because your not bright enough to be a driver.

laborer

But we're a bonus center and can only file for over 9.5 if we are actually on road over that and then only if we are over 9.5 for 3 out of 5 days in the week. I feel that planned day and on road should make no difference, but since the union doesn't recognize time standards it is on road time that counts towards grievences. Am I wrong that dispatched time and on road time should not matter, if we are a bonus center?

I'm in a bonus center and 9.5's are based on hours worked, not planned day for grievences. We don't get any paid breaks here.....

satellitedriver

I'm in a bonus center and 9.5's are based on hours worked, not planned day for grievences. We don't get any paid breaks here.....
Ditto. 1 hour lunch and no paid breaks. New time study at our center took an average of 1 1/2 hrs off most routes. Now, no one can make bonus, even skipping lunch.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Take an hour and twenty minute lunch. I usually end up doing that anyway, I put both my breaks back to back after lunch. Never have had anyone say anything about it.
they would probably WANT you to do that. dispatching flows a lot better when you're not taking a 10 min break between pickups.

and hey, if you enjoy the one long break, all the power to you. :thumbup1:

Dutch Dawg

... here in chicago it's a one hour lunch and 1 10 minute paid break, but some of the guys are still under old contracts and get 2 10 minute paid breaks....
Now you've really confused me on this one. Why would some in your group be working under the terms of an old contract when it comes to break and be entitled to more? I presume you're referring to 705?

710 to my understanding receive an hour total to be taken as 15-30-15 or 10-40-10, with 10 paid either way, is this correct?

Do either 705 or 710 employees recieve any additional break time for hours worked beyond 9 or 10? Just wondering if that could be the answer to my first question.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hi gang. I just wanted to see if this was happening elsewhere in UPS land. Starting Monday of last week, our Center Manager stated that we were required to enter our lunch and breaks into the DIAD. I knew it was coming after the Cali lawsuit (thanks for the heads up, Brown Cafe members!) However, after just one day, the break option in the Break/Lunch menu is gone and only the lunch option is left. Is this happening anywhere else? I wonder where they are going with this?

Today it happened in my Center. The two break fields were gone, and replaced by four lunch periods. I asked my Supervisor about it before I headed for the Gate, and was told this is because for some reason the breaks weren't showing up on their precious reports. It has worked fine for years, now all of a sudden its messing up their numbers. We still get the full sixty minutes deducted for lunch whether we enter the time or not. I think the lunch question could be easily solved if the Master Contract could be changed to guarantee up to sixty minutes. If you only took thirty, then you would be paid for the other thirty minutes and go home a half hour sooner.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Now you've really confused me on this one. Why would some in your group be working under the terms of an old contract when it comes to break and be entitled to more? I presume you're referring to 705?

710 to my understanding receive an hour total to be taken as 15-30-15 or 10-40-10, with 10 paid either way, is this correct?

Do either 705 or 710 employees recieve any additional break time for hours worked beyond 9 or 10? Just wondering if that could be the answer to my first question.
We have fulltimers who still receive 2 10 minute paid breaks, most of us get 1 10 minute paid break. All ftimers get a 1 hour lunch. In 705 we dont get extra time for going over 9,10,11 hours.

Foamer Pyle

Division manager gave the pcm today at our facility about this. Basically he said that UPS will no longer take an hour out for lunch and to put whatever time we do take for lunch in the diad every day. No more code 5's. You will be paid by the hours your work in the diad.

brown bomber

brown bomber
us folks up north have basically been told we must take a lunch...the full alloted time..for us it's 30 minutes..and no work is to be done during the lunch break

brown bomber

brown bomber
just working as instructed...I are a dumb TRUK DRYVER..not really, double major BBS..was a few courses short of an MBA..then made the choice to go full-time w/ United Parcel Service..at least that's what they were once known as

vin

Here in New England, all full timers (and part timers who work doubles) are entitled to 1 hour unpaid lunch, 2 10 minute paid breaks, and an additional 20 minute paid break if working over 10 hours.

R

ROCKETMAN 79

whats abouns center. we were told take lunch. it could be broken up 1 hr or divide it in to 3 breaks totaling an hour. and do not do any pickups or deliveries. it will be checked. they made it clear. the early start times 8 815 820. I wish wed have a start time like that. we have 9 am i dont see the hub gate behind me untill. 920 945. with 11 1030 committs and 12 12 oclock commits .i can get some ground, befor 12 notmany. keep the wheels on the ground and close your eyes while baking it makes the impact less misrebale.

rushfan

Here we got a message to make sure to put break/lunch info in board. Then, within 2 hours got a message Who will be over 9.5? IMHO, in our area, there is no way one can take a lunch and break and be under 9.5.

Here we have to go to other work then type in V for "paid break" and input the time it just started last week and you will get in trouble for not doing this everyda. lunch is always where it used to be.