can i be fired?

Grouchy

Heres the situation....Ive been at my hub since last august. Ive had 1 sick call in and one no call no show, which was my first. Today, however, I completly missed my alarms to wake up for my preload shift. Ive never been suspended or received any letter of any sort as well. I called in today after I woke up to explain the situation and they were like, technically calling 2hrs after the shift was supposed to start can be treated as a no call no show. I bust my butt for these people, they know Im a hardworker and Im also the only one who wants to go about 40miles out of my way to driver help because i know they need the help. I know volume will start to go down soon....so can I be fired for it?

Indecisi0n

They could careless how hard you work. They want you there on time everyday. If this is your second time sleeping through an alarm then its obvious you have an issues somewhere that you need to fix ASAP.

over9five

Staff member
I don't think you should lose sleep (haha) over it. They can't fire you, there's no progression of discipline, right? Have you received any warning letters for this?
The most they can do is give you a warning letter. Frame it, and put it up on the bathroom wall.

Time to correct this, tho. Set more alarms!

PS, post back what happens.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Isn't there a 0% tolerance for that?

No call no show? I believe you have to have three in a year to be fired. Often let more than that slide. At least for preload they do. It's a job that starts at 3 am with mostly 18-25 year olds working. They realize there are going to be a few no call no show.

wayfair

swollen member
it's been 15 years since I preloaded... I would just say no one answered the phone when I called... different now with Cell phones lol

A

anonymous6

speak to your steward for a definitive answer. on preload this happens all the time.

sleeping thru happened to me once in feeder in 25 years. i use two battery operated alarm clocks one set about 15 minutes past the other one.

btw, the one time i overslept it was 2 hrs and they had me come in anyway and do my job. most of the time they need bodies.

i suggest 2 alarm clocks ( not electric in case power goes out. )

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Heres the situation....Ive been at my hub since last august. Ive had 1 sick call in and one no call no show, which was my first. Today, however, I completly missed my alarms to wake up for my preload shift. Ive never been suspended or received any letter of any sort as well. I called in today after I woke up to explain the situation and they were like, technically calling 2hrs after the shift was supposed to start can be treated as a no call no show. I bust my butt for these people, they know Im a hardworker and Im also the only one who wants to go about 40miles out of my way to driver help because i know they need the help. I know volume will start to go down soon....so can I be fired for it?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Depends on your supplemental. My supplemental states that an employee no-call no-showing for 3 days in a row is assumed to have voluntarily quit and forfeit their job. Pretty sure all of them state that 3 no-calls in a row results in a termination.

If you don't make a habit of it, it's really not that big of a deal. I always set 2-3 alarms on my cell phone when I have to be up early.

EDIT: brownbaggin basically beat me to it.

Ms.PacMan

I sleep thru most alarms, even blaring music. What finally worked for me was getting a TV with a sleep timer years ago. Voices talking or maybe just the topic (I set it to the news) wakes me up.

ryansox

During peak 2011 I was 2 1/2 hours late one day and it wasn't really a problem (I had to stay late and help out). Now I usually have 2 alarm clocks just in case I don't wake up or push snooze and don't want to wake up.

iruhnman630

Set more alarms. Put them across the room so you are forced to get up and turn them off.

I know the frustration and embarrassment of not waking up for preload all too well.

I'm going on year 20 with UPS, but in my preload days I could've been fired several times for being late, when those alarms would become part of my dreams. Served 1 suspension. I guess I had very patient managers back then.

btw -- In contrast, in 7 years being full time, I've only been woken up by the ringing phone once. I honestly thought it was a Saturday.

Grouchy

Ive got some interesting news....Everything seem fine today at work. I wasn't told anything. Today was treated just as any other day...however, one of my sups talked to me about a management position they have available. He told me I should consider pursuing it if that's what I want. So here I am freaking out and now I have the possibility of moving on up already..

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ive got some interesting news....Everything seem fine today at work. I wasn't told anything. Today was treated just as any other day...however, one of my sups talked to me about a management position they have available. He told me I should consider pursuing it if that's what I want. So here I am freaking out and now I have the possibility of moving on up already..

Spend the next hour searching this forum about part time management. I think you'll realize its not exactly a move up.

Of course as a pt sup, being non union, they can fire you just for S&G. Might want to consider that Sleepy.