cell phone while driving

CAFAL

They discipline drivers who are caught by supervisors in person while driving the bulkhead door open. They cannot discipline drivers who show up on a report. It must be an observed offense. This guy probably has a lazy center team that doesn't go out on the road, he knows it, and he exploits it. Doesn't make it smart, though.

The sad thing is that some suit in atlanta can look at these reports from their desk. If an accident were to happen, this management team would be held accountable. It also creates a paper trail if this driver has an issue.

W

want to retire

The sad thing is that some suit in atlanta can look at these reports from their desk. If an accident were to happen, this management team would be held accountable. It also creates a paper trail if this driver has an issue.

Way way back as a rookie pkg I drove with the blkhd open.......pretty much stopped when a heavy pkg came rolling out the blkhd and into the street while moving. Will get your attention.

CAFAL

As I understand it there is a Federal law for CDL drivers of $2750, $8500 is really over the top. Unfortunately this may not be enforced because the cop may feel sorry for the driver.

According to AAA driving and talking on a hand-held device is the equivalent of drunken driving. If the penalties were appropraite and enforced on people driving cars maybe less people would drive this way. I see people constantly driving with a phone held to their ear, even cops, some example they set.

Another trick is to put the phone on speaker and hold it.

I had heard this law was a result of driving fatalities from cell use surpassed that of alcohol related fatalities. Not sure if true

HomeDelivery

[video=youtube;aPlnNaHGZY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPlnNaHGZY8[/video]

over9five said:
The thing I hate about these laws is that there is different laws or a stiffer penalty for CDL holders. It should be the same for everybody.

well, those professional drivers has more training & the stiffer fines reflect that... slightly offtopic; will talking while driving a semi also be towards CB radios?

[video=youtube;fDlYSPVro0Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDlYSPVro0Q[/video]

the younger generation scares me... my younger brother was like that & had to smack him behind the head. "you want the consequence of killing a kid crossing the street because you were texting while driving?"... it can wait.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We had a semi plow in to a line of cars which had stopped due to road construction. 6 people died, including the daughter of a UPSer. The part of the road in question was flat with unlimited visibility, the road was dry and the weather was clear. The semi driver was distracted. Had the semi been a passenger vehicle the resulting damage and number of fatalities would have been much lower. CDL holders are professional drivers and as such should be held to a higher standard.
This occurred within 10 miles of my center. It was very sad. RIP to all those involved and my prayers to the families.

W

want to retire

I'll go ahead and add all the :censored2:s I see in work zones...speeding and texting....at night....semis and all. We have radar digital readout signs of your speed and it is shocking to see someone going 80 with workers all around....some literally inches from the speeding cars. I almost never see a cop in work zones here.

W

want to retire

Cops will sometimes dress as construction workers in our work zones.

How much more would it cost to add cameras to the speed signs?

They're getting rid of intersection/red light cameras here. Concerns of Constitutionality. Here, you can just not pay the fine and nothing happens. Kinda optional, so I hear.

over9five

Staff member
We had a semi plow in to a line of cars which had stopped due to road construction. 6 people died, including the daughter of a UPSer. The part of the road in question was flat with unlimited visibility, the road was dry and the weather was clear. The semi driver was distracted. Had the semi been a passenger vehicle the resulting damage and number of fatalities would have been much lower. CDL holders are professional drivers and as such should be held to a higher standard.

That was one unfortunate accident. Countrywide, you could probably save hundreds of lives if car drivers were held to the same laws/penalties as CDL holders.

Way way back as a rookie pkg I drove with the blkhd open.......pretty much stopped when a heavy pkg came rolling out the blkhd and into the street while moving. Will get your attention.

One day I was in a P5 slowing down as I was approaching a stop sign. A 50 lb 8' tube slid from my section 1 landing square on my foot that was on the brake pedal. Luckily, no-one was behind me.

... slightly offtopic; will talking while driving a semi also be towards CB radios?

Yup, why are CBs exempt from the talking while driving rule? It's the same thing.