Cigarette Tax Increase in New York

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/19/nyregion/19tax.html?src=mv

Governor David Patterson has proposed a $1.60/pack increase in the tax on cigarettes, which would bring the total tax to $4.35/pack. This would be the highest in the nation. Residents of NYC would pay $5.85 in taxes alone on a pack of smokes. This proposed tax increase would extend to smokeless tobacco. The Governor also intends to begin taxing cigarettes sold on Indian reservations, a move which has sparked violence in the past. The revenue from these proposed taxes would be roughly $1B, which would help the state close a $9.2B budget deficit.

klein

Für Meno :)
Needless to say, the cheap brands are $10 a pack here in Alberta.
Paid $1.60 a pack in Mexico for mexican cigs, and $2.50 for marlboros.
Brought back a bunch of Marls :)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Nothing like helping the working class poor. No wonder I have so many former New Yorkers moving to my area the last few years. They tell me their taxes were so high, they couldn't afford to live in New York anymore. I have several neighborhoods where every other driveway has a car in the driveway with a Brooklyn or Long Island tags on the front. Their property taxes were about 8-10 times what we have here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nothing like helping the working class poor. No wonder I have so many former New Yorkers moving to my area the last few years. They tell me their taxes were so high, they couldn't afford to live in New York anymore. I have several neighborhoods where every other driveway has a car in the driveway with a Brooklyn or Long Island tags on the front. Their property taxes were about 8-10 times what we have here.

Scratch, this is among the reasons UPS moved corporate down to Atlanta. The cost of living along the I-95 corridor is very high.

klein

is this how you support yourself......smuggler ?

Hey, got to make sure the trip paid for itself, also brought back 2 and a half boxes of cuban cigars. 1 of those boxes here is over $100... got it down there for $20 and $25.
Plus I added to my whiskey collection. Have the whole Johnnie Walker Series now (Blue, Gold, Green, Black, and Red Label), plus some other 21 year old scotch.)

upsgrunt

Klein-
I'm not trying to be an A-hole here, but I must be doing something wrong. How can you afford to travel so often and buy, buy, buy WITHOUT AN INCOME? If you have a secret, give it up; I work everyday and can't afford a third of what you do.

klein

Was the 21 year old Scotch a blond or brunette?:wink2:

Seriously, that was a trip, I should have been alone. Oh well, I'm checking out Cuba now. Dirt cheap from here, too.
I already did some internet research about Cuba.
Probably the only place on earth where US dollars are not accepted, or a credit card issued from an American Bank.
But, don't think it's Cuba's fault, just the US Banks can't deal with Cuba.

Look how cheap it is, and it's far from me... http://www.aircanadavacations.com/l...iginSearch=1003&destinationCity=-1&priceValue=

I paid that much just for airline tickets to Florida... nothing included.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Klein-
I'm not trying to be an A-hole here, but I must be doing something wrong. How can you afford to travel so often and buy, buy, buy WITHOUT AN INCOME? If you have a secret, give it up; I work everyday and can't afford a third of what you do.

I wonder the same thing about all the welfare freeloaders that have iphones and big 50inch TVs...govt assistance pays good.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I wonder the same thing about all the welfare freeloaders that have iphones and big 50inch TVs...govt assistance pays good.
When I think of poor, I think of people with no phones, not even a land line, and a b&w tv if any and no cable. And meatloaf so full of corn flakes you dont know whether to put ketchup or milk on it, if you have those. Todays poor cart whole sides of ribs, the finest in meats, the finest in pre-prepared food out of the store. Seems since they dont work they should have time to cook.
I dont think anyone on assistance should be allowed to buy cell phones, cigarettes, alcohol or lotto. But what do I know, I just work for my stuff.
They need more of what I have.

It sounds obvious to me that the people of NY need to start up a Tea Party type organization that will rid some of the Tax and give away politicians y'all have.

DS

Fenderbender
Taxing cigarettes and liquor in in my opinion,a great way to help the USA get a grip on it's national debt.

I was trying to find a link about our high tobacco tax up here and I happened upon this youtube video.
I know it has nothing to do with the subject really but it freaked me out so much I had to share it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz0YYkvG_Lg

tieguy

Banned
I'm not opposed to user tax's. Hopefully it encourages people to quit smoking. I'm not sure if there is any single vice that causes as many health issues as cigarettes.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
NC is a big big tobacco state and the proceeds kepp taxes down and roads fixed, etc.
But, I am an ex smoker (30+ years) and see no value whatsoever with smoking.
I realize that many people smoke and will defend their right to enjoy a smoke, but it's bad all around.
I recall cabbage cigarettes back in the early 70's. LOL.
I say tax 'em!

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm not opposed to user tax's. Hopefully it encourages people to quit smoking. I'm not sure if there is any single vice that causes as many health issues as cigarettes.

I'd put 'likor' right up there too because of the additional impairment to driving and causing so many traffic deaths along with the liver disease etc. I think much money could be raised from high taxes on liquor & cigs.

You could also make a fortune taxing ice cream & jello in Utah and Spam in Hawaii.