Constitutional Crisis

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
corporations control the courts now too. i recall watching a documentary on hbo labor day about corporate money flowing into court elections.

Maybe in Canada. Most of our Judges are political appointees. I think it's mostly municipal court judges who get elected, depending on the city/county. There has definitely been some chicanery going on with District Attorney elections, though.

rickyb

You might be part of the problem yourself, mister "silence is violence". Equating speech or lack thereof to violence is probably one of the biggest contributing factors to this problem today.
“We have to condemn publicly the very idea that some people have the right to repress others,” Solzhenitsyn warned. “In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousandfold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers, we are not simply protecting their trivial old age, we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
american capitalism has always failed the poor...

but since its self destructing as well, it only appears to be even a partial success

Disagree. Our "poor" have a much higher standard of living than truly poor people in the rest of the world. Even many of today's poor worldwide have access to technological resources that couldn't have been had at any price as little as 50 years ago.

Any destruction of capitalism isn't a function of the system itself, rather the corruption of the people running the system. You could say that of any economic system, to be sure. But other systems just aren't as good at getting resources where they are needed.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Winter Soldier was a MCU Captain America movie, where S.H.I.E.L.D. (supposed to be the good guys) developed giant air bases with the technology to target and kill specific individuals, meant to be used against terrorists. Turns out Hydra infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D. and high level government positions. Thus, the bad guys now had the power to kill millions of targets, simultaneously, and they were in a position to redefine who the terrorists were. That is not that dissimilar to what we see unfolding before our very eyes in the real world. Regardless of the degree to which you believe that to be true, the story still acts as a warning against anyone having too much power.

Is their some other "winter soldier" reference that deals with the Vietnam war? That is another great, real life, example of the bad guys masquerading as good guys. They immorally conscripted people to commit atrocities under the supposed auspices of freedom and liberty, but really it was just so defense contractors could make lots of money.
If it’s Captain America., I’m out. The shied thing comes up when I’m youtubin , that’s all I know.
Don’t own a TV and never played a video game… Im not as old as all that sounds , I just decided to do other things… my 3 kids all have the latest crap and think their old man is a dinosaur. And claim they are scared forever for being deprived. Lol
Yeah.. there is another winter soldier. Some of you state is true except what was behind the story wasn’t for someone to get rich. I remember it being a moral/ humane/ rules of war dilemma.

Box Ox

“We have to condemn publicly the very idea that some people have the right to repress others,” Solzhenitsyn warned. “In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousandfold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers, we are not simply protecting their trivial old age, we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

Stupid wokie baloney that has no basis in the reality of the United States in 2021.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If it’s Captain America., I’m out. The shied thing comes up when I’m youtubin , that’s all I know.
Don’t own a TV and never played a video game… Im not as old as all that sounds , I just decided to do other things… my 3 kids all have the latest crap and think their old man is a dinosaur. And claim they are scared forever for being deprived. Lol
Yeah.. there is another winter soldier. Some of you state is true except what was behind the story wasn’t for someone to get rich. I remember it being a moral/ humane/ rules of war dilemma.

Agree to disagree about the motive behind the wars (I tend to agree with Ike on the matter). Our campaign to "end communism" around the world by sending unwilling people to various countries to butcher people who had nothing to do with communism did backfire on us, in many ways.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Agree to disagree about the motive behind the wars (I tend to agree with Ike on the matter). Our campaign to "end communism" around the world by sending unwilling people to various countries to butcher people who had nothing to do with communism did backfire on us, in many ways.
I was just focusing in on the Winter Soldier incident in Nam.
Overall, if you’re talking about the big picture, I would tend to agree with you.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Stupid wokie baloney that has no basis in the reality of the United States in 2021.

I actually agree with the sentiment, the wokeness comes in with the twisting of the idea to apply it to things to which it does not apply. Evil should not be allowed to flourish in the shadows until it has built up the strength to step into the light unopposed. But one of the tricks of evil is to deflect attention from itself by accusing other people and ideas of being evil, and getting zealots like Patricia to proselytize others to join in rebellion against the wrong things.

BeefiestMass

A strong majority of Americans feel like they're living under a gun that'll go off if they even say the "wrong" thing right now. I feel that way myself.

The Democrats will pay for it dearly at the polls next year and in 2024. Maybe that's not yet so clear because so many people are afraid to say anything about anything the way we fairly anonymously can here.

https://www.cato.org/survey-reports...itical-views-theyre-afraid-share#introduction

"A new Cato national survey finds that self‐censorship is on the rise in the United States. Nearly two-thirds—62%—of Americans say the political climate these days prevents them from saying things they believe because others might find them offensive. The share of Americans who self‐censor has risen several points since 2017 when 58% of Americans agreed with this statement.

These fears cross partisan lines. Majorities of Democrats (52%), independents (59%) and Republicans (77%) all agree they have political opinions they are afraid to share.

Strong liberals stand out, however, as the only political group who feel they can express themselves. Nearly 6 in 10 (58%) of staunch liberals feel they can say what they believe. However, centrist liberals feel differently. A slim majority (52%) of liberals feel they have to self‐censor, as do 64% of moderates, and 77% of conservatives. This demonstrates that political expression is an issue that divides the Democratic coalition between centrist Democrats and their left flank."

What’s changed? In 2017 most centrist liberals felt confident (54%) they could express their views. However today, slightly less than half (48%) feel the same. The share who feel they cannot be open increased 7 points from 45% in 2017 to 52% today. In fact, there have been shifts across the board, where more people among all political groups feel they are walking on eggshells."
That sounds like a personal problem.

Box Ox

"A new Cato national survey finds that self‐censorship is on the rise in the United States. Nearly two-thirds—62%—of Americans say the political climate these days prevents them from saying things they believe because others might find them offensive."
"These fears cross partisan lines. Majorities of Democrats (52%), independents (59%) and Republicans (77%) all agree they have political opinions they are afraid to share."
That sounds like a personal problem.

Sounds like it's not and you're in denial.

rickyb

The success is not in the system. That's been proven.
The success is measured by how many people for how long have lived in the misery it produces.
capitalist misery?

midlife crisis? foxcomm suicide nets? america has bloodiest labour battles of developed countries? anti unionization efforts?

rickyb

I actually agree with the sentiment, the wokeness comes in with the twisting of the idea to apply it to things to which it does not apply. Evil should not be allowed to flourish in the shadows until it has built up the strength to step into the light unopposed. But one of the tricks of evil is to deflect attention from itself by accusing other people and ideas of being evil, and getting zealots like Patricia to proselytize others to join in rebellion against the wrong things.
yes in matrix reloaded neo was offered to reform the matrix like previous versions did which wouldve been teh wrong thing to do. we dont want to reform capitalism, it is beyond reform because it is a system of exploitation like slavery, feudalism before it.

rickyb

Disagree. Our "poor" have a much higher standard of living than truly poor people in the rest of the world. Even many of today's poor worldwide have access to technological resources that couldn't have been had at any price as little as 50 years ago.

Any destruction of capitalism isn't a function of the system itself, rather the corruption of the people running the system. You could say that of any economic system, to be sure. But other systems just aren't as good at getting resources where they are needed.
it is a function of capitalism. piketty's book was on this too, so was karl marx's book. no other western countries poor have higher standard of living like 6weeks vacation, elimination of poverty, free college, etc. US fairs poorly. not sure if it was ever a success for those countries either. ur right technology evolves with capitalism

rickyb

Maybe in Canada. Most of our Judges are political appointees. I think it's mostly municipal court judges who get elected, depending on the city/county. There has definitely been some chicanery going on with District Attorney elections, though.
i think u lost ur rights through judicial fiat. for example the supreme court has ruled money is speech, or that if the govt was spying on you they would tell you lol.