Contemplating PT management in IE

There's a load planner position (part time) that I'm interested in acquiring. From reading the job details I get a vague picture of what is involved, but anymore details about it would be appreciated.

Further, I'll be at UPS for 7 years at the end of the month as a part time hourly. What happens with my accrued retirement benefit if I was offered the position and I accepted it?

The posting also asks if I'm willing to work flexible shift hours. I am willing to do so. If it got to the point of salary negotiation would it be unwise to mention a higher salary due to the opportunity cost of working flexible hours that may interfere with finding a stable second job and the solidarity I've had with the company?

Edit - No badgering about why I'd make this decision please. I'm not obliged to disclose my reasons.

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Why would you do that job and or go into management when you been there part time for 7 years, full time driving is probably around the corner
patience-yoda.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will not ask you why you are contemplating this move other than to say it doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a purely financial point of view.

If you accept the position, your PT pension will be put on hold until you turn 65.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You will receive a competitive offer that considers the job responsibilities, hours and your years of service. There will be very little, if any, flexibility in it. FT, yes, PT no.

IE at UPS is generic. A real degree in Industrial Engineering can be quite lucrative.

The term "industrial engineering" at UPS is generic and refers to a department covering an array of positions at UPS. There are full-time positions within this department that prefer, but do not require, a degree so there is room for advancement. However, there are also full-time positions within this department that require at least a four-year degree majoring in... industrial engineering. These positions (obviously) pay significantly more than others within the department. UPS is the largest recruiter in the country for IE majors.

beentheredonethat

Only you can decide what you want to do. Do you want to stay at UPS until retirement? Or do you want to get some good job experience and leave to another company? It seems that you decided you do not want to be a driver, but are you sure? A PT load planner is a pretty good job, you will need some basic computer skills, (Excel, Word, Outlook) and Access is also very helpful. You should make a quick spreadsheet up of your current hourly pay at the hours they said you will work per week and convert to a monthly salary to give you an idea of what the conversion is from hourly rate to monthly salary. Are you married, single? with kids? The benefits for mgmt costs more out of pocket then it does for hourly, so you should make extra to make up for that. Also, if you discuss the job with HR, I'd also recomend before making a final decision is to talk to who you'd be reporting to in order to get from them what your responsibility will be and hours you will work. Also, do you have a BS degree? if you do not, then it is most likely you will not get promoted to FT without getting one, or at least going back to school and working on getting one.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You will receive a competitive offer that considers the job responsibilities, hours and your years of service. There will be very little, if any, flexibility in it. FT, yes, PT no.

The term "industrial engineering" at UPS is generic and refers to a department covering an array of positions at UPS. There are full-time positions within this department that prefer, but do not require, a degree so there is room for advancement. However, there are also full-time positions within this department that require at least a four-year degree majoring in... industrial engineering. These positions (obviously) pay significantly more than others within the department. UPS is the largest recruiter in the country for IE majors.
My kid is an IE major with a year to go. He hasn't talked to UPS yet. Looks like he will be working for GE Medical this summer.

You must make that decision on your own. Some of the comment on here are correct and some are not. As far as saying goodbye to 70 to 95 k per year I don't agree. Full time driver is a tough job and so is management. If you have your degree or planning on getting one management has room to go up. I started as a part time preloader with no college and made well over 120k per year during the end of my career (even more on good mip years). Yes thing have changed but, I do know that the pay is still good for qualified applicants. I would not do the on road job but, if you are good at what you do then it will not happen except to get some experience. Bottom line think it out do what YOU think is best for you and don't ever look back.

beentheredonethat

My son has his MBA in Supply Chain. He talked to UPS. It was a waste of his time.
How so? Was it no current openings? UPS does have positions where degrees in supply chain are useful. However, UPS often still tries to promote from within and getting experienced people into those positions is what is often done, vs a new college grad.

I have completed a bachelors degree to make that point, but it is not in industrial engineering. To what full time positions could someone in a part time IE job such as the one I mentioned branch out to?