Contraband in your home

texan

Will you have contraband in your home on 1 January 2012?

100 Watt Incandescent light bulbs will no longer be imported or manufactured in the US as of 1 January 2012.

No it is not contaband to posses them if you have them. But do not sell one to your neighbor.

"Unsatisfied with the meager market share earned by compact fluorescent lamps and other energy-efficient alternatives, federal lawmakers decided to tip the scales in favor of CFLs."

"No matter that many consumers think CFL bulbs are dim, slow to brighten and inconvenient. No matter that CFLs contain mercury and must be disposed of as hazardous waste."

"If the ban was such a great idea, one wonders why lawmakers didn’t rush to the microphones to announce it in 2007. In fact, a 2009 survey by Sylvania found that three out of four people were unaware of the provision and fewer than one in five knew that 100-watt bulbs would be banned in 2012."

satellitedriver

Thomas Edison invented the first incandescent light bulb in 1879.
Not really, the technology was already well known.
What Edison did was exhaustive research, to find the longest lasting filament.
His teams research produced the first practical incandescent light bulb.
Here is a link about the worlds longest burning incandescent light bulb.
Still glowing strong after 109 years: the world's oldest lightbulb | Mail Online

BTW;
I hate the light given off by the new bulbs.
Very poor lighting and a horrible wavelength to do any long term reading under.
I am willing to bet a dollar to a donut hole -(tribute to TRP)- that the negative health and environmental impact of this "green" bulb will rear it's ugly head,
in the decades to come.:future:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Soon to be on the market a newer version screw in bulb that uses LEDs, also priced in the $20-$30 range @ .

I have posted this before and I'm still waiting for this to happen;
a thief goes into a store or bank and demands cash of else he'll break one or more curly bulbs, thus creating a Hazard Mat site which forces the store or bank to shut down and pay thousands for a clean up.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Not really, the technology was already well known.
What Edison did was exhaustive research, to find the longest lasting filament.
His teams research produced the first practical incandescent light bulb.
Here is a link about the worlds longest burning incandescent light bulb.
Still glowing strong after 109 years: the world's oldest lightbulb | Mail Online

BTW;
I hate the light given off by the new bulbs.
Very poor lighting and a horrible wavelength to do any long term reading under.
I am willing to bet a dollar to a donut hole -(tribute to TRP)- that the negative health and environmental impact of this "green" bulb will rear it's ugly head,
in the decades to come.:future:
I thought I heard that light finally burned out. ??
That "green" P.O.S. will be nowhere in my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soon to be on the market a newer version screw in bulb that uses LEDs, also priced in the $20-$30 range @ .

I have posted this before and I'm still waiting for this to happen;
a thief goes into a store or bank and demands cash of else he'll break one or more curly bulbs, thus creating a Hazard Mat site which forces the store or bank to shut down and pay thousands for a clean up.
HERE ya go.

P

pickup

I was working on a built in ventilation fan above my kitchen. And I had to turn the fuse off. Once I finished working on the fan, I turned the fuse back in and a little battery operated radio with the power off emitted about a second of a radio show. The radio was located under one of the new compact fluorescent bulbs that I put in (in an effort to keep my electric bill under a certain amount that was a multiple of $10) . When the bulb went on, the radio emitted a station frequency for about one sec. If you read the side of the box of a c.friend.b, you will see something about it radiating radio waves.

I also read something about incandescent bulbs still being available but under the label of "heavy duty" ,"rough" , or some term like that. Bulbs that are used on construction sites or in railroad tunnels. So with a clever twist of terminology, the bulbs we have known for our lifetimes might still be available commercially. I saw some bulbs at home depot with that designation that I am trying to remember. It will come to me.