Contract Handbook Availability

M

my2cents

Since the Teamster/UPS contract is ratified, I was wondering if anyone knows when the new contract handbooks will be available. In my local, these handbooks become available about a year later. I ask around about why it takes so long for this handbook to be printed and nobody seems to know why. If the past is anything like the present, these handbooks will be handed out about this time next year. So in short, I'll throw this out to the gallery. Does anyone know why it takes so long to print up the handbooks and is this a problem in other locals? Additionally, when these handbooks are ready for distribution, is this fact adequately communicated to the membership? Where I work, this is communicated poorly. Many people are unaware when copies of the collective bargaining agreement are available. Thanks in advance for any replies and I plan on raising this issue at work in the near future.

D

deliver_man

Does anyone know why it takes so long to print up the handbooks and is this a problem in other locals?
I dunno, maybe the same reason that me and a lot of other guys never got our ballots in the mail? I'm pretty unhappy with the teamsters right now, and am considering filling out my withdrawl card to send that message. A lot of guys in my bld feel the same way. Noone denies that we need a union, but I'm about sick of Hoffa. Raised our dues to feed a strike fund for a strike that was never going to happen, and I can guarantee that those dues won't be going back down again either.
Settled early in negotiations (read: got punked out by the company). And then half the guys in my local never even got a chance to vote? They can get their 58$ a month somewhere else for the next 6 years.

(Message edited by deliver_man on August 31, 2002)

T

tieguy

And therein lies the crux of the problem with trying to settle early. This contract will net about twice the amount that Carey got with a strike. Yet there are the hardliners who believe like this guy that Hoffa got punked simply because he settled early. If Hoffa had dragged it out though this guy would have blamed the company for stalling and not negotiating in good faith.

D

deliver_man

Who's a hardliner? I suppose in your book that's anyone who thinks we need a union at all. My point was that Hoffa used the excuse of a looming strike to raise our dues, and then settled early. It's pretty clear that he himself never thought the strike was much of a possibilty. I like the idea of settling early, I don't like the idea of a strike, but I am infuriated that this guy used fearmongering tactics to gain more money for himself and his cronies, and then couldn't even insure that all the members recieved their ballots so they could vote their conscience. Say what what you want about Carey, I know you company boys think he is the devil, but he cut union salaries and double dipping, and was commited to cleaning up corruption in the international. Hoffa is going in the opposite direction, like father like son.

D

deliver_man

If Hoffa had dragged it out though this guy would have blamed the company for stalling and not negotiating in good faith.
Well Mr tieguy, in addition to being a manager do you also fancy yourself to be some sort of mindreader who can predict what other peoples reactions would be in some alternate reality? Don't try to put words in my mouth, if you want to know my opinion you can just ask me.

T

tieguy

No need to put any words in your money you have enough BS coming out of it already. By the way Mr. Center Manager would be a compliment. Let me know if you need some cheese with that whine.

D

deliver_man

No need to put any words in your money
What does that mean?

By the way Mr. Center Manager would be a compliment. Let me know if you need some cheese with that whine.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here either. Have you been drinking?

U

upsmule

"ROFL"<font color="ff0000"> ???????? I'm thinking your tie is to tight and beginning to cut off the oxygen to YOUR BRAIN!
wink4.gif
</font>

T

tieguy

Another fine example why the boss kicks your but so much. Any attempt at dialogue is clearly a waste with Mr. Non Deliver Man.

D

deliver_man

Another fine example why the boss kicks your but so much.
Who is this comment directed at? Me or UPSMule? Either way I'm not sure where you are coming from, as noone was complaining about the boss.

Any attempt at dialogue is clearly a waste with Mr. Non Deliver Man.
Well, if you actually attempted a dialogue, instead of just being snide, you might reach a different conclusion. It really is possible to disagree with someone and still remain civil, you know. Notice I have yet to refer to you as "Mr Non Tieguy". Perhaps my comment about Hoffa getting punked out by the company was a little off the mark, the problem is noone really knows what happened in that room. I will say it again, I have no problem with settling early, and I have no problem with a 6 year contract. What I DO have a problem with is Hoffa talking all tough about a strike, using that as an excuse to raise our dues, and then apparently the talks weren't really all that contentious (the early settlement is a big clue). And then to top it all off, Myself and quite a few other drivers in my bldg never recieved our ballots, and so had no voice in the voting process. My complaint here is with the union, NOT with the company, so don't get all worked up and take it personal.

O

over9five

"...why it takes so long for this handbook to be printed ....."

Because its being printed by a UNION print shop!!