Corporate Response?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by jacket6504, Jan 23, 2015.

1. jacket6504

jacket6504 Member

Been with the company for 11 years and have a chance to go full time package car in the next few weeks if I accept the position. But this 4th quarter news has me a little scared jumping in knowing that management will overreact to the headlines! What do you guys think? Will this be one the worst years ever for a package car driver?

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ual-profit-2015-outlook.360229/#ixzz3PhQEC4CL

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I think you are worrying for no reason.

Make the move.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Why wait? Get thru your progression asap. Then make coin

4. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

Lmfao. They will not be using the lower 3/4ths of the workforce they have till summer. They will not be hiring " in the next few weeks"....

5. jacket6504

jacket6504 Member

OK, well numerous people informed me that our hub was hiring fourteen new drivers and possibly more later in the year. Three different centers. The answer to your next question is NC :)

6. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

I made more last year then in the last 15 years, I'm bullish $DRVR.

7. RonBurgandy??????????

same here.

8. RonBurgandy??????????

Ok , well numerous people were misinformed. Those 14 and possibly more , are no more. Good luck.

9. jacket6504

jacket6504 Member

You could be right Johnny football! I remember a few years ago when they posted four package car bids and not award them due to "not enough volume" But stay on topic with me here. The question I have is this. Will UPS ever change there strategy and put on more drivers to cut down on overtime? Isn't paying guys 10 plus hours of over time a week not killing them?

10. RonBurgandy??????????

Nope. Saving them way more by not paying the 8 hour guarantee ,benefits ,and pension.

11. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Nope. Less drivers less trucks less supervisors less mechanics less loaders less, well you get the idea.

12. jacket6504

jacket6504 Member

So then either package car drivers except no family life ,for the most part, or give a little on pay wages/ and pension in future contracts so it doesn't save them money. I don't see having best of both worlds right? So I guess what I'm asking is have we as union members created this monster?

13. PT Car Washer

Mostly because of greed. There are a lot more protections now for excessive work hours then there ever was before. The job is a blue collar Union job. Maybe you should have studied harder when you were in school.

14. jacket6504

jacket6504 Member

I did. Masters/Seminary. Greed on which side? UPS or Union or both?

15. PT Car Washer

UPS of course. We are just workers trying to feed our families and put a roof over their heads to keep the rain and snow off.

16. jacket6504

jacket6504 Member

Well said!

17. jacket6504

jacket6504 Member

I don't know if I agree that all blue collar Union jobs automatically presuppose long hours!

18. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Actually the opposite. One of the first things unions fought hard for was a 40 hour work week.

19. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Go. Drive. Truck.

20. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Is UPS going out of business? Please keep me informed so I can cash out my sick, vacations, and optionals.