Counterfeit scam leaves UPS driver to foot the bill

Discussion in 'The Latest UPS Headlines' started by cheryl, Jul 22, 2009.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

Counterfeit scam leaves UPS driver to foot the bill - KXXV

A truck driver is left with a $1000 bill, an innocent victim of a nationwide scam.

A few months ago, United Parcel Service driver Karl Daniels unknowingly delivered bogus jerseys and tennis shoes to three people in downtown Marlin. He was then handed two counterfeit checks to pay for the knockoffs and is now left to pay a very expensive bill.

"All of our drivers are trained to read the labels. The driver never read the label properly on the package. He took this to a grievance panel with a union and agreed with us," said Dan McMackin, Spokesman for UPS.
  2. upsman68

upsman68 Active Member

I hate Article 10 of the contract. It sucks.
  3. things2auction

things2auction New Member

At lease he didnt have to cover the full $20,000, but I still feel really bad for him. From the sounds of it there is no way he could have seen that the checks were fake.

Just say no to CODs :)
  4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

"The driver never read the label properly on the package" indicates to me that he was supposed to collect certified funds for the COD.
  5. maserlaser

maserlaser New Member

he is only responsible if the label said certified check or money order. if not then he would be fine
  6. starglacier

starglacier Member

drivers are not responsible for bad checks. Banks and phony customers should foot the bill!!!!:knockedout:
  7. shrimpfire

shrimpfire shrimpfire

I never was trained on how to tell if a ck was counterfit or not; only thing we have to wory about is whether it says cert or not.
  8. UPS Lifer

UPS Lifer Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a sign for you to ask some questions with your boss or security supervisor. What you don't know can hurt you!!