cover driver forced to work local sort?

gr247

Hey guys just wondering if I don't drive can I be forced to work the local sort because the pt supervisor is telling all cover drivers they are required to call in berfore 2 o clock for start time if they do not drive that day, let me know what you think

Don't forget you'll still have to have 10 hours off before your potential am start time.

As for working the sort, what does your local contract say?

UPSGUY72

In my area if you get laid off you have the option of working the pre-load and local sort to make your 8.
Hey guys just wondering if I don't drive can I be forced to work the local sort because the pt supervisor is telling all cover drivers they are required to call in berfore 2 o clock for start time if they do not drive that day, let me know what you think

The deciding factor would be are you a FT cover of PT cover driver ???? IF your a PT cover driver than your SOL. If your a FT Cover driver than it could be a different story depending on what your rider / supplement says.

In my area we currently don't have PT cover drivers only FT cover driver that are guaranteed 8 hrs a day just like any other driver. If your a FT cover driver I would request my 8 hrs every day. By doing this they might lay off some of the lowest seniority cover drivers but if you get laid off you have the option of working either the preload, local sort or both. The other options are working one or both and collecting or taking the layoff and just collecting depending on your state unemployment laws.

It all comes done to what your are PT or FT cover and what your supplement says about being guaranteed hours if your a FT cover driver....

Nimnim

The Nim
I work a midnight sort and know a few PT cover drivers who were on my shift. The way I understand it is that a PT cover driver reports to the sort they were on when they went cover driver, but midnight sorts conflict with the DOT time off requirements so unless they know they won't be needed to drive for more than one day they just take the day off. For the most part they drive and maybe a couple times during the year do we see them on the midnight sort, but every location is different. If you have concerns talk to your steward, they can give you a better answer for your building than we can.

upschuck

If you are a FT cover driver you are guaranteed your 8 hours every day.
We have FT utility drivers that are not guaranteed anything unless they have a start time. They can bump PTers if they have been laid off for a week. They can file for unemployment if they are laid off for the day. We have no PT drivers.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you have a FT bid and are being forced to work a PT gig, you get your FT pay for the PT hours. If you are laid off and refuse offered work, you will not receive unemployment.

UPSGUY72

If you have a FT bid and are being forced to work a PT gig, you get your FT pay for the PT hours. If you are laid off and refuse offered work, you will not receive unemployment.

No true. You need to read your local rider / supplement and see what it says. In my area if you get laid off and work one or two pt shifts you get the PT rate that you would have had if you stayed PT. If your laid off they didn't offer you other work. In my area if your laid off you can work PT or take the lay off and collect or work PT and collect....

Also in my area if you get laid off and still are in your progression you only can work 1 PT shift.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you are FORCED to work a PT gig, you get FT pay. If you are being offered work instead of being laid off, you get PT rate. Pretty sure that is national language.

The key is being FORCED to cover a PT shift because they are short of help not being forced because you are applying for unemployment.