Cracks in DHL's operation?

A

afups

"Where are all the happy UPSers?"

I am right here in my favorite easy chair, having a glass of wine and watching some good football.

N

nymetsfan

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what is PAS? For that matter, what is EDD and ERI? I'm new around here

Also watching good football, go JETS!

I

ironylife

has anyone heard that in a few years, dhl parent company is going to loose the rights to deliver mail in germany??

U

upsdawg

OK2B---dawg, you seem to be a can't do guy.
The union keeps you from being able to do anything even for our own workers and we stand no chance against fred and soon against dhl according to you

Your trying to spin what I said----and not doing a very good job of it!! I am just giving you the facts about Fed Ex and DHL--we stand every chance if we stop the blame game and focus on keeping the competition out of our accounts.As I mentioned---DHL will continue to come. There will always be customers who want the cheapest deal---and that is what they will offer ( nothing different from the old Airborne approach)

Regarding as to when I am leaving, thank you for your concern------I will be retiring next July and would hope that the next generation of UPSers is going to take care of the business and continue to maintain our volume/revenue/customer satifaction. "WE" can do it....."I" can't...."YOU" can't...but together, I have no doubt that we can do anything that we set our mind's eye to.........as in Jim Casey's philosophy about the future of UPS.

O

ok2bclever

Words like spin and dance seem to flow out of you easily, perhaps you should have gone into politics.

Actually, it's not too late unless UPS retirement has restrictions against it, regardless I wish you a happy retirement.

A

afups

"Our horizon is as distant as our minds eye wishes it to be" Jim Casey

"Determined men, working together, can accomplish anything". Jim Casey (perhaps not exact)

G

gman

About a mile down the road from our center is what used to be an Airborn terminal. Very small. There were always a few vans (wrecked) sitting outside. Now I don't know all the details about how things were run but apparently these terminals were franchised out and run by private brokers, similar to RPS/FedEx ground private contractors. Well the locals went Union and the guy closed the franchise. There are now about 30 DHL vans parked in the lot. I guess DHL had to rent unmarked vans to keep the packages moving. The guy with the franchise, according to the driver who works the area, was barely making a buck before it went union. Now he's losing money. Is this good or bad. We gain volume but lose members. Your basic catch 22.

U

upsdawg

OK2B---thanks for your kind words, but at this time I am not in a position to hold public office. It is comforting to know that I have your support, and vote, if needed in the future!

If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve!!

dhlsucks

peacock,

I hope as much as the next person, that DHL doesn't take any UPS business. However, taking a picture of a DHL driver who was taking a 20 minute break, and then assuming that it was not a legitimate break is indicative of the problem that lies within UPS.

Myself, I see an employee that is saving his company money by not running the AC (yes, DHL has AC--FDX too) during his break.
most dhl trucks still dont have ac yet .

D

DHL Customer

Cracks in DHL's operation? 6/6/2008

Our DHL driver told us that he and other DHL employees were told by DHL Mgmt. that DHL was soon closing its door. Too many loses, mis-management, and fuel costs. Has anyone else heard from any DHL line employees?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I live about 2 miles from a large DHL station. Every Sunday I see a fair number of their trucks out on the road, apparently making Sunday deliveries. FedEx offered Sunday deliveries for a very short time because it was a big money-loser. I would imagine that it's not profitable for DHL either, so why are they doing it, especially in the context of huge operational losses?

UPS_UK

Brown Brown & more Brown
probabaly not out of choice, they probabaly need to do it to get rid of the late packages from the previous week so that they can atleats make an effort to deliver ontime.

Same thing is happening in the UK.

I have also noticed that DHL are flying fewer and fewer DHL branded aircraft into the UK. Most of their airhubs have Lufthansa Air Cargo aircraft parked outside.....think the rumors that UPS will be doing their European air movements in 2009 have credability...??

drewed

Shankman
I have also noticed that DHL are flying fewer and fewer DHL branded aircraft into the UK. Most of their airhubs have Lufthansa Air Cargo aircraft parked outside.....think the rumors that UPS will be doing their European air movements in 2009 have credability...??

i believe the airlift agreement was just for domestic (US) volume. i think if UPS does take on the european airlift it maybe a couple years out, last i heard we were having to pull airframes out of retirement to make the current agreement work....could we def, UPS has enough cash/credit to make it happen if they knew it was going to give an upper hand on fdx, the hard part is getting pilots to fly those flights and ground personell to maintain the planes

A

Anonymous7

Go to YouTube and enter: "This is the real DHL-UPS deal" and then try "Deutsche Post, DHL & UPS Antitrust scam". These vids shed credible light...

sano

Go to YouTube and enter: "This is the real DHL-UPS deal" and then try "Deutsche Post, DHL & UPS Antitrust scam". These vids shed credible light...
Possibly some of the points are valid. I don't know. However the maker of that video lost all credibility by using childish editing. Hitler mustaches, devils horns and demon eyes are hardly mature ways of getting a point across.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
From Logistics Management:
—“DHL may have figured out it can get better service and a lower price from
UPS Ground than the USPS.
“DHL needs to pick up the pace at which it is right-sizing US operations,”
said the source. “They have to rationalize their expenses with their income
far more rapidly than they have been doing it [in his Judiciary Committee
testimony this week, DHL Express CEO John Mullen said DHL is suffering operating
losses of about $5 million per day], and they might have figured out that it
might be better to outsource deliveries to UPS rather than the USPS because
of better cost and service.”
“Both parties are committed to reaching an agreement,” a DHL spokesperson
told LM. “Discussions between DHL and UPS are ongoing and details about the
proposed arrangements and the timing of a final agreement are still subject to
negotiation and confidentiality requirements. We regret that we are not in a
position to provide more details at this time.”

Maybe the added volume will mean another route or 2 per center!