current ups health ins. may move to union ins??

ups hero

This was posted on the Teamster's public website:

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamst...e_march_28.pdf

In national negotiations, we focused on healthcare.
Today the Company proposed moving all employees that are currently in the Company health insurance plan into a Union plan.

My question is do you think this is good or bad? I'm not quite sure yet. However, as ken said they have to evaluate this proposal, so it still is just idea right now

Last edited by a moderator:

ups hero

My insurance has always been through my local. My experience says it's a good idea.

Just out of curiosity, do you think it is just as good as the company's ins. Coverage wise? Also, if the union takes over the insurance nationwide, does UPS actually pay for it?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have no idea what the company plans cover but in local 344 we have excellent insurance. UPS pays a negotiated amount each week to my local and the local contracts with Humana to run our insurance.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'm on the company pt plan. It's run through BCBSIL (medical), AEtna (Dental), and Express Scripts (Prescriptions)...oh and VSP for vision. Medical is $10 for office $25 for non emergency visit and $0 for emergency. They cover most of it although I've gotten bills after insurance...which pisses me off. Dental is covered at 100% for yearly visits and cleanings. 80% for fills and 75% for dental surgery. Prescriptions are covered at 100% for generic and mail order prescriptions...which I use for testosterone. If I went to the pharmacy to fill that one, it would cost me $300 for a month. Mail order is super though. VSP covers for all intents and purposes $150 for contacts or glasses and the exam is covered for single vision. Contact exam may cost $20 if your office separates the exams. Great insurance. Hopefully a teamster plan would be close.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was always to the understanding that PTers were covered by UPS an FTers were covered by Teamsters. Is this only depending on your particular local?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It will be interesting if the union takes over all the healthcare and the costs start spiraling out of control. Where is the blame going to be placed then?

Notretiredyet

My issue with this is the statements by hall in the past about walking away if this wasn't done by March 31. So now it's the end of April, he's quickly losing his credibility from myself and many others. And I've always had great faith in his ability to negotiate in the past. Now back to the Tiki Bar for a Yuengling and making a plan for tonites pub crawl.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It will be interesting if the union takes over all the healthcare and the costs start spiraling out of control. Where is the blame going to be placed then?
Hot potato is what's going in here. UPS wanting us to pay is padding the uncertainty with Obamacare, possible tax implications, and rising costs there of.

CaptainObvious

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was always to the understanding that PTers were covered by UPS an FTers were covered by Teamsters. Is this only depending on your particular local?

I always thought this was the case as well. At least that is the way it is under our local.

Our Teamster health care plan is excellent for those who were asking.

J

jibbs

My issue with this is the statements by hall in the past about walking away if this wasn't done by March 31. So now it's the end of April, he's quickly losing his credibility from myself and many others. And I've always had great faith in his ability to negotiate in the past. Now back to the Tiki Bar for a Yuengling and making a plan for tonites pub crawl.

The end of April? My calendar says March 28th...

I always thought this was the case as well. At least that is the way it is under our local.

Our Teamster health care plan is excellent for those who were asking.

My understanding of health insurance in my center is that PTers are provided for by IBT. Or, you know... our Teamster local. I'm still not well-versed in these union semantics.