Daily 3.5 hour guarantee

Nimnim

The Nim
Don't be surprised if your grievance gets "traded" as part of a mgt/BA deal over a larger issue.

I hate when that's done without talking to the people who lose their grievances because of it, but it does happen, and sometimes it's for the better. Usually though it's for someone who screwed up and tossing a bunch of grievances if the only way for the company to let go of an issue where someone screwed up majorly.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Rules to live buy is never trade a personal grievance for larger issue.There is always compromise or give and take on management-labor issues but it never should be at the expense of someones grievance.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I hate when that's done without talking to the people who lose their grievances because of it, but it does happen, and sometimes it's for the better. Usually though it's for someone who screwed up and tossing a bunch of grievances if the only way for the company to let go of an issue where someone screwed up majorly.

No, it's not. Your stewards and business agents should NEVER horse-trade grievances. It's a slippery slope and once you start doing it, the company has you by the short and curlies.

Nimnim

The Nim
No, it's not. Your stewards and business agents should NEVER horse-trade grievances. It's a slippery slope and once you start doing it, the company has you by the short and curlies.

I'm not saying they should do it. There can be advantages to it, but it should never be without the grievants consent. It's one thing to trade grievances for something, bigger, but it's another to do it behind a grievants back. If it's done it should be rare and with the grievants knowledge.

Nimnim

The Nim
What exactly does "trading grievances" mean?

Trading grievances is where some grievances are basically withdrawn for a favorable outcome with another grievance.

Thrown under the bus.

It can be. I've known a couple stewards though who have used their own sup working grievances to help another person with their grievances.

I still contend it should be done with full knowledge of the grievant who is having their grievances withdrawn. If they don't agree find another person who will or another way.

If I had a few hours of sup working grievances in the system and someone has a grievance in for some nonsense like not knowing the dok but they didn't start the paper process til it was at a warning letter because they didn't know better I'd trade some hours of sups working to get that warning letter grievance going.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My BA doesn't tell you he's going to trade your grievance. I get the reasoning behind wanting to trade a grievance, but it just shows management that you are willing :censored2: on the contract. It's hard standing up for what's right. It's hard doing the right thing. But, that's what should be done. As Piedmont says, slippery slope. At what point do you draw the line?

Ever think the company is papering people just to get a grievance traded?

Nimnim

The Nim
My BA doesn't tell you he's going to trade your grievance. I get the reasoning behind wanting to trade a grievance, but it just shows management that you are willing :censored2: on the contract. It's hard standing up for what's right. It's hard doing the right thing. But, that's what should be done. As Piedmont says, slippery slope. At what point do you draw the line?

Ever think the company is papering people just to get a grievance traded?

I think people get papered either for quota or someone trying to make themselves look good.

I'm going out on a limb here a little, but I think it's fair that most people here would be in favor of either not allowing trading grievances, or getting approval from grievants who would have their grievances traded. Nothing in between. Obviously there'd still be some issues, but it'd be better than the current under the table system that isn't even across the board.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think people get papered either for quota or someone trying to make themselves look good.

I'm going out on a limb here a little, but I think it's fair that most people here would be in favor of either not allowing trading grievances, or getting approval from grievants who would have their grievances traded. Nothing in between. Obviously there'd still be some issues, but it'd be better than the current under the table system that isn't even across the board.
I don't think there should be an option. Eliminates any confusion.

Nimnim

The Nim
There is no quota system for discipline.

I can't prove a quota, but it does seem like there is one at times. This doesn't negate the second point I made of "someone trying to look good."

There is valid discipline, and then there's cheap shots just to try and score points with a higher up.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I can't prove a quota, but it does seem like there is one at times. This doesn't negate the second point I made of "someone trying to look good."

There is valid discipline, and then there's cheap shots just to try and score points with a higher up.
They were on a mission at my building to get every preloader on Art 7. Denise and I were the only ones they couldn't get. Go figure we got injured a few months later. I have looked the Labor sup in the face and told him I think it was intentional. Why didn't they sue me? Why wasn't anything done to me, if it wasn't true?

Rallyguy

Just curious Menotyou, Why would ups allow management to institute a quota system for discipline? That to me sounds like company endorsed harassment. If that was ever the case and someone reported it, it would lead to very bad things for the company in a PR perspective.