Disqualified Driver on Day One?! but then not...

Hi, here's a little back story.

I just started the 5 day training yesterday. I live 43 miles away from the training center and the traffic to get there is HORRIBLE. The training started at 8am and even with me leaving at 6am I still got there late. I was car pooling with another gentlemen who got the job at the same time as myself.

at 2:43pm later that day I got a voicemail from my local HR department saying I've been disqualified for showing up late. (mind you, I still left 2 hours before starting time. but cant' argue that I was late. guess i'm gonna have to leave 2.5 hours early)

what I wanna know is why is it that ONLY I was disqualified for being late but not the gentleman that I car pooled with? I sent her an email asking why and she didn't write back. so I called and she asked me to return my uniform. when I got to the UPS center she told me there was a "Miscommunication" and that I can continue training tomorrow.

this is great news for me as I really want to work for UPS but I already see how unfair this is going to be for me. i'm worried my HR rep has it out for me (which I have NO idea why. we just met not too long ago) and I wanna make sure i'm not kicked out unfairly again. any ideas on what I can do to make sure this doesn't happen again? I feel she's just looking for ANY reason to fire me.

*sorry if the post doesn't belong here. I'm very new to all this and just don't know where to look.

By The Book

I just started the 5 day training yesterday. I live 43 miles away from the training center and the traffic to get there is HORRIBLE. The training started at 8am and even with me leaving at 6am I still got there late. I was car pooling with another gentlemen who got the job at the same time as myself.

at 2:43pm later that day I got a voicemail from my local HR department saying I've been disqualified for showing up late. (mind you, I still left 2 hours before starting time. but cant' argue that I was late. guess i'm gonna have to leave 2.5 hours early)

what I wanna know is why is it that ONLY I was disqualified for being late but not the gentleman that I car pooled with? I sent her an email asking why and she didn't write back. so I called and she asked me to return my uniform. when I got to the UPS center she told me there was a "Miscommunication" and that I can continue training tomorrow.

this is great news for me as I really want to work for UPS but I already see how unfair this is going to be for me. i'm worried my HR rep has it out for me (which I have NO idea why. we just met not too long ago) and I wanna make sure i'm not kicked out unfairly again. any ideas on what I can do to make sure this doesn't happen again? I feel she's just looking for ANY reason to fire me.

*sorry if the post doesn't belong here. I'm very new to all this and just don't know where to look.
What is your work history with UPS?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
images-7.jpeg

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
None. I literally just started working with them. which is why this isn't making sense to me
You showed up late to your first day on the job? How far you live from the building is irrelevant to UPS...they don't care. Bottom line...show up on time everyday or you will not last long here.

You showed up late to your first day on the job...how far you live from the building is irrelevant to UPS...they don't care. Bottom line...show up on time everyday or you will not last long here

I understand. and will make sure not to show up late again. just don't see why I was the only one kicked when it happen with other people.

M

Mike hunt

None. I literally just started working with them. which is why this isn't making sense to me
One thing you need to understand first is that ups is not always a nice place to work. If you had worked part time or you were driving for some years your get a better feel. When you went in you probably had the public perception. Now you will see the real ups.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
The traffic was gods way of telling you , find work elsewhere!!! This ups job is not worth your agony...especially for a temp.....enjoy your holidays. Find different seasonal help. There is a lot out there. Good luck!!!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Theres guys that have been working here 30 years or more, and this job makes no sense to them either so don't even to try and understand it lol. Stuff happens jus learn and move on. That's all you can do dude.

clean hairy

Suppose you owned a business and hired a new employee.
That person is supposed to report for work at a specific time, and doesn't show up at that time, but at a later time.
Would you keep that person? I doubt it.
A person I know who does run a business has had that happen more than once. A new hire comes in late the first day, and is informed their services are not needed.
If they ask why, they are told "You quit when you did not show up on time."
Feel fortunate you were not given a trip right out the door when you walked in.

UPSGUY72

My commute is 52 each way and I'm never late. Stop making excuses why your late and just show up on time.

O

OLDMAN3

and I wanna make sure i'm not kicked out unfairly again. any ideas on what I can do to make sure this doesn't happen again? I feel she's just looking for ANY reason to fire me.
Kicked out unfairly?
You showed up late the first day!
You are not owed a job.
Get ready for the real working world.
UPS is about to kick you in the rear!

You've Got Mail

At least your sup doesn't tell you "I'll let you know tomorrow" when you text him asking what time to come in tomorrow. He'll text me at 8am and sometimes he says to come in at 830 and other times it's 1015. Wish he would stop screwing me around. Been training at the center for 3 days, drove most of my 3rd day but still didn't know where the hell I was going.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
At least your sup doesn't tell you "I'll let you know tomorrow" when you text him asking what time to come in tomorrow. He'll text me at 8am and sometimes he says to come in at 830 and other times it's 1015. Wish he would stop screwing me around. Been training at the center for 3 days, drove most of my 3rd day but still didn't know where the hell I was going.
I thought you said something about quitting?

Overpaid Union Thug

I've always thought it was silly for anyone to have to travel to another building to get training. Here's an idea UPS......
why not let us all get trained in our own centers!?!? By our own ON CAR supervisors maybe?

oldngray

nowhere special
I've always thought it was silly for anyone to have to travel to another building to get training. Here's an idea UPS......
why not let us all get trained in our own centers!?!? By our own ON CAR supervisors maybe?

Most new on cars don't know how to do it so can't train a new driver. But I agree sending drivers off to a school like Integrad is stupid.