Do you feel like a good father?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Obviously this goes out to the dads. I sometimes feel like I'm letting my family down by not being home as much due to the late hours we have to work. It's a passing feeling that doesn't linger too long. I wish I could be home more but the offset is providing for the family through my paychecks.
Anyone else get that feeling?
I don't.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I'll present it from a whole new angle,..I was both Mom and Dad to my daughters after Mom passed away when the girls were aged 12 and 9,..yet I kept working full-time, and bending the rules to participate in my girls extracurricular activities...it required alot of late nights (after school stuff, phone calls, homework checking), and early mornings (laundry, housework, making lunches) in order to make sure that they did in fact thrive,..and they did indeed....It probably took a dozen years off of my life, but I'd make that sacrifice in order to see them be a success
You da man Bomber, biggups to you for being there and doing what you had to do for the good of your family and the sacrifices you made, mad respect to you dude.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
The hardest thing is trying to balance work and family. I try so hard to be a good Dad but long hours make it very difficult. I pray that my son learns that sometimes you must sacrifice what you want in order to be a provider.

Rainman

Its all good.
We miss a lot of time from our families. But we are showing our kids the reality of the world, that what they see on TV isn't how the world works. We work long hours, but our spouses are freed up to work PT, or not at all if they choose. Our kids learn to get something, you often have to give up something else. My kids and wife have always hated my hours, but they understand what benefits we derive from this. My kids stay out of trouble, make good grades, and are well regarded by the people around us.
I go to all of the events they participate in that I am able to, so they know I'm not ditching them when I'm not there.
It's not easy, or fun to be gone all those hours,but if we give our families quality time then the quantity isn't as important.

Brownsfan

Obviously this goes out to the dads. I sometimes feel like I'm letting my family down by not being home as much due to the late hours we have to work. It's a passing feeling that doesn't linger too long. I wish I could be home more but the offset is providing for the family through my paychecks.
Anyone else get that feeling?
I feel your pain. I am in the same situation but I rationalize it much differently. The less my kids see me the better. I am the only one working in my house. I have a four year old and a 2 year old. My boys love and cherish me. I also try to make every second I have with them count.
My gift to them is the time their mother gets to spend with them. I feel that her being home teaching and guideing them us worth it. The only time I feel like a terrible father is when my oldest wants to play with cars. I hate it! I don't know why but it drives me mad. I'm down for a scooter ride, blocks and the like. But damn the plastic toys.

I'm returning to UPS after my enlistment is up. Although I'm home a lot when my squadron is on shore, I will never leave my family for 6-10 months again...