does anyone know anything about teamster dot net discussion boards?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by anonymous6, Nov 29, 2013.

1. anonymous6

anonymous6 Guest

h or so ago got an email to join teamster dot net discussion board. seemed legit so gave it a try. got a Trojan horse warning from avg while on it and thought I had avoided any trouble.

today my computer has no favorites listed and all my pictures are gone. I'm wondering if the contents of my computer have been hijacked or I should be worried.

I ran a scan and it said my computer is protected but showed 2 detected Trojan horses that were fixed. my computer seems to run fine but am worried that everything that I saved is gone,

anyone here familiar with discussion boards. I don't suggest logging on.
  2. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

Have you tried some of the free undelete software out there? Depending on what the Trojan did, that software could reclaim your lost files. Just because the computer does not see the files doesn't mean that they are off your hard drive. I have used a couple of them, and seem to work well. Good luck.
  3. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Malwarebytes is very good at cleaning things up. It will catch things Norton (or other anti virus) miss as well as spyware CCleaner misses.
  4. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Many sites offer free online quick virus scanning. Make sure AVG is up to date and do a full scan.
  5. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

AVG is OK but I like Avast better for a free anti virus program.
  6. After several problems with Norton and Mcafee, I switched to Trend Micro....havent had a problem since.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I never tried Trend Micro. I agree with you to avoid McAfee but Norton is very good now. It did have some problems a few years ago but seems to be fixed now.
  8. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

Have been a member of TNet for many years. Never heard of this invitation thingy tho, so I would be worried more about the source of that than the TNet site.

P.S. TNet has so little activity lately, it's not even worth signing up.
  9. I found a 5 user online for under $30 bucks! Cant beat that. only 5 bucks per computer.
  10. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Avast is free and probably as good.
  11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I used to use Webroot but switched when Charter started offering free anti-virus software.
  12. Trend Micro also gives you protection for your smartphone .
  13. anonymous6

anonymous6 Guest

ya it was probably from the email . thanks for all the advice. i'll try things out. I'm in the process of changing all passwords to be on the safe side.
  14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

NEVER click a link from a email. If you respond open your browser and go from there. Many viruses can be spread through emails if you click the link.
  15. Benben

Benben Active Member

OldnGray gave the best advice. Malwarebytes, and be sure to toss it into your favorites for when you have to startup in safe mode, is unbeatable IMO. Avast is rock solid and is much better than Viper which I paid for and used until I found Avast.
  16. anonymous6

anonymous6 Guest

I forgot to mention that the last thing I did was update AVG to the 2014 version and then restarted the computer as directed. that's when everything disappeared.