DOT hours in package car

I’m curious. What does DOT have to do with package car? Package car does not have a E log book like in a 18 wheeler or IVIS in feeder truck.. I help an old friend (Not ups) with a California run (Team driver). Ran Thursday 0100 to Saturday 0300 and then came back to run my route Saturday at 915.. yes it’s DOT violation but when I told my sup to check my DOT hours he said I was good.. help me understand guys

Because we have package cars that are rated at 10,001+ lbs, you must have a DOT card. If you have to have a DOT card, you must abide by DOT regulations.
Make sense. Do our hours In UPS get reported to the FMCSA? My sup said they just add up the hours during the week and tell you if you’re about to violate DOT hours

Make sense. Do our hours In UPS get reported to the FMCSA? My sup said they just add up the hours during the week and tell you if you’re about to violate DOT hours
No hours get reported to any agency. If you :censored2: up, they can look into your employer(s) and total your hours to find out if you're in violation, but that's usually the only way. Any side work you do needs to be under the table if you're gonna try it. I don't recommend it, UPS pays well and it has a future, not a good risk to get a small side hustle.

No hours get reported to any agency. If you :censored2: up, they can look into your employer(s) and total your hours to find out if you're in violation, but that's usually the only way. Any side work you do needs to be under the table if you're gonna try it. I don't recommend it, UPS pays well and it has a future, not a good risk to get a small side hustle.
When you mean 🤬 up I guess you mean if I have any accident either with a side hustle or UPS or get pull over by a police or state trooper?? The goal is UPS but with management sending the 22.4 up and down with hub work and driving I just needed that extra cash. Usually when I know I’m working the hub the whole week I usually go help my old friend with truck driving. And pay attention to my hours.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
When you mean 🤬 up I guess you mean if I have any accident either with a side hustle or UPS or get pull over by a police or state trooper?? The goal is UPS but with management sending the 22.4 up and down with hub work and driving I just needed that extra cash. Usually when I know I’m working the hub the whole week I usually go help my old friend with truck driving. And pay attention to my hours.
Easy honcho

Trucker Clock

I’m curious. What does DOT have to do with package car? Package car does not have a E log book like in a 18 wheeler or IVIS in feeder truck.. I help an old friend (Not ups) with a California run (Team driver). Ran Thursday 0100 to Saturday 0300 and then came back to run my route Saturday at 915.. yes it’s DOT violation but when I told my sup to check my DOT hours he said I was good.. help me understand guys

You are still governed by DOT HOS (Hours of Service). Package drivers are covered under the Short Haul Exemption. Staying within 150 air miles and working less than 14 hours. You are exempt from having to keep a record of duty status, log book or ELD. Your still bound by 11 hours drive time, 14 hours on duty (if driving) and 10 hours off. Package drivers rarely need to keep track of drive time, because 99.9% of the routes come nowhere near 11 hours actual drive time.

And your DOT violation? That could cost you and/or the company between $1,000 and $16,000 if the DOT found out. UPS does not report your hours, but if you were ever audited, pulled over, or snitched on...Good luck with that fine. Your sup only had your UPS hours of service. If you told him you team drove, for 3 full days and then only had 6 hours off, he wouldn't have let you work.

Let me take that back. Half the sups probably don't know what the HOS are, or would just overlook your hours because they needed you to drive. But, this sup would also be opening up UPS to that same $1,000 to $16,000 fine.

The DOT takes people like you, and/or your sup, that violate HOS very seriously. But ultimately, keeping track of your hours is your responsibility. And the fines are pretty hefty for a reason.

Get into an accident and the lawyer will find out how many hours is working another job.
You didn't want to be guilty of that

You are still governed by DOT HOS (Hours of Service). Package drivers are covered under the Short Haul Exemption. Staying within 150 air miles and working less than 14 hours. You are exempt from having to keep a record of duty status, log book or ELD. Your still bound by 11 hours drive time, 14 hours on duty (if driving) and 10 hours off. Package drivers rarely need to keep track of drive time, because 99.9% of the routes come nowhere near 11 hours actual drive time.

And your DOT violation? That could cost you and/or the company between $1,000 and $16,000 if the DOT found out. UPS does not report your hours, but if you were ever audited, pulled over, or snitched on...Good luck with that fine. Your sup only had your UPS hours of service. If you told him you team drove, for 3 full days and then only had 6 hours off, he wouldn't have let you work.

Let me take that back. Half the sups probably don't know what the HOS are, or would just overlook your hours because they needed you to drive. But, this sup would also be opening up UPS to that same $1,000 to $16,000 fine.

The DOT takes people like you, and/or your sup, that violate HOS very seriously. But ultimately, keeping track of your hours is your responsibility. And the fines are pretty hefty for a reason.
I understand and that makes sense. I don’t think anyone wants to pay big fines like that. I’ll remember that for next time. Thanks for explaining how DOT mixes with package car.

Cowboy Mac

I understand and that makes sense. I don’t think anyone wants to pay big fines like that. I’ll remember that for next time. Thanks for explaining how DOT mixes with package car.
In the UPS HOS training, it says that you are required to report all hours, even at other jobs to your supervisor. This is the only way they know accurately how many hours you have and reset times.

And sups look fiercely down upon us working other jobs because they want us at their beck and call, and god forbid they ever have to use their brain to think about how many hours someone has.

It’s so stupid that even within UPS their HOS systems don’t communicate. I’m a feeder cover driver and if I work package 4 days then feeder on Friday, when I log into the ivis it still says 60 hours available. So I have to go on my Timecard viewer and know how many hours I have before I start my shift, and let dispatch know if it’s less than 14.

Cowboy Mac

The pandemic is over
207AB7FD-000A-4468-9781-DCC5CBAEF82B.gif

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
As far as this particular scenario goes, if you spent the last part of that road run in the sleeper berth/passenger seat (out of driver's seat-logged out of driving and into sleeper berth- no later than 2300 Friday), you should be good. And you certainly did the right thing by reporting to the company that you have HoS outside of their system to factor in.

But I would be very leary of trusting a package supervisor regarding HoS, and you're opening yourself up to potential discipline if you were in fact ineligible to start work (driving) at the scheduled 0915 Saturday.

Last edited:

Cowboy Mac

I wonder how much profit the company made over delivering the vaccine
The government was throwing around a lot of money during that time and I know Carol was one of the ones in the White House catching it.

What I wonder is how much of the vaccine side effects people have is because of us delivering late NDA covid packages.