Down The Toilet at Express

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm going to break my silence temporarily because I think it's obvious that Express is having a major meltdown right now. As mentioned by others, "something big" is in the pipeline, and we're already seeing the leading edge of the tsunami that is about to crash down upon us. While it's true that volumes are down, the level of scrutiny and oppression has reached an all-time high. Gap times, shortened pre-trips, and ever higher productivity expectations have created a lot of very unhappy employees. It's very obvious that the Memphoids have an extremely short-sighted view of the situation. All they see is ways to maximize profit, without regard to the eventual outcomes of their ineptitude. They might as well fly the white flag of surrender to UPS, which is kicking our ass right now.

Here's the silver lining. Employees are finally starting to rebel against all the BS. In my district, they cannot cover all the routes because the sick calls are so numerous. No more "borrowing" couriers from nearby stations, because they are experiencing the same problem. I've heard of several ramps that have had to combine CTV runs or delay runs because there weren't enough RTDs' to cover them. This is wonderful, because the great fake "machine" that is FedEx Express, is starting to come apart at the seams. So many experienced employees have left, that the bulk of the courier workforce cannot do the job correctly, leaving uncovered routes, missed pickups, and numerous shuttles to the ramp, which overloads the ramp and causes friend-delays and late hub sorts. Customers are starting to leave, and the morons in Memphis don't realize that the stellar service and employee commitment that brought Express to the top of the industry is gone, largely through being too cheap to treat employees with enough respect to retain the good ones. Maybe Fred should have spent some of those lobbying millions on increasing pay. You reap what you sow Fred.

Sad as it is, the Perfect Storm has started to gather, and Fred, Dave, and MT3 are paddling a K-Mart rubber raft upstream through rapids filled with angry sharks. The blood is already in the water. I wonder if MT3 tastes like chicken?

Back to silence.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Good to see you back MrFedEx.

The Memphoids just don't know when to quit do they? You can only push people so far and they're too damn shortsighted to realize it. They don't know the first thing about working with people.

Had the company started out like this way back when, it would have belly flopped.

SmithBarney

Figure this one out. We are overstaffed, they just transferred in 4 crr's, and there isn't enough work for them
the van line up changes daily(they can't seem to figure out which way is up),
a bunch of drivers were forced 4x10(no more OT for them)
the new Ground PPAD2(I'm pretty sure its the same one ground uses) is coming soon...

its gonna get ugly..

bbsam

Staff member
Big meeting out in Vegas for all Ground senior managers past few days. Management had reduced bonus checks this week because "Express didn't make their numbers." I'm guessing this isn't all coincidence.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Big meeting out in Vegas for all Ground senior managers past few days. Management had reduced bonus checks this week because "Express didn't make their numbers." I'm guessing this isn't all coincidence.

When they keep setting the bar higher and higher, sooner or later, no one's gonna make their numbers. Plain and simple.

newgirl

When they keep setting the bar higher and higher, sooner or later, no one's gonna make their numbers. Plain and simple.

Especially us old-timers.

The tide is turning, and it's not in our favor. I do hope some of the managers can appreciate the coming storm and know that, they,too, are going to be effected. Less employees means less managers. How many senior managers have 2 or more stations? How long will it be before the managers start to cover other domiciles?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Maybe the transition of all 2D and ES to ground is happening! MFE said that he had all kinds of proof of it. As for the stuff he mentioned in his post, none of it is happening in my district. One station is having to borrow couriers at times because a manager has been slowing in hiring for open positions.

End of the world, etc.

The Mayor

Or maybe if u read our 4 qtr earnings, it would show in the GAAP report section the $128 million used to combine FedEx Freight, and another $70 million used for the political contributions to keep the union legislation. Also, don't forget...the pure existence of the Ground division is due to the financial distributions from Express...

The Mayor

Glad to see you back for a minute. You couldn't be more right if u tried. We are "combining" or "collapsing" routes all together on a daily basis and expected to still make our current on road sph goals and rtb times. Its absolutely ridiculous. We are getting so far away from actually servicing the customer its pathetic. The only criteria now is productivity, plain and simple. Some of our managers have even said that its "ok to have lates, just run your numbers." What? isn't that what we do? Provide a service....well, I guess not now according to MT3's plan....its all about on road now... I would like to see ONE, just one manager go on road and be held accountable for what we do on any given day. Seems to me like if you can't do it, you shouldn't expect to ask someone else to do it either. Oh yeah, especially in 90 to 100 degree weather...

TUT

The coming storm? It's been here for a while now. As Republican's state you can't raise taxes that will stop companies from hiring. Right now companies all across the landscape are making more money then ever and they still aren't hiring. Why can't someone on the tube ask the next logical question "Why aren't companies hiring today"?. All corporations are now completely locked into W.S., too much is controlled by what investors think or want and not what is ultimately good for the company. So the OP can come here and tell us all gloom and doom, yep could be true, but to me you are talking about a lot of companies in general and not just Fedex or UPS.

bbsam

Staff member
Or maybe if u read our 4 qtr earnings, it would show in the GAAP report section the $128 million used to combine FedEx Freight, and another $70 million used for the political contributions to keep the union legislation. Also, don't forget...the pure existence of the Ground division is due to the financial distributions from Express...
Now that is silly. Maybe if you do your homework, you'll find Ground has been making a killing. "financial distributions from Express..." Really? Or are you saying that Memphis has been investing more in the Ground and HD network? I've been saying that for years. But that we owe our existence to Express? Please be careful not to choke on that piece of arrogance.

vantexan

Now that is silly. Maybe if you do your homework, you'll find Ground has been making a killing. "financial distributions from Express..." Really? Or are you saying that Memphis has been investing more in the Ground and HD network? I've been saying that for years. But that we owe our existence to Express? Please be careful not to choke on that piece of arrogance.
More like we owe our demise to Gound than their existence to us. Have to wonder if Roadway(or was it Rodeway?) had been bought out by FedEx in the early 70's would Express as we know it even exist?

vantexan

I'm seeing ALOT of handler postings in JCATS. Just curious, is it legally possible to have an airline with permanent ramp employees plus handlers at stations, and have everyone else be contractors and their employees? At Express?

bbsam

Staff member
More like we owe our demise to Gound than their existence to us. Have to wonder if Roadway(or was it Rodeway?) had been bought out by FedEx in the early 70's would Express as we know it even exist?
The "demise" at Express has to do with two factors: Technology, since documents can be E-mailed and price. Oh, and that Ground can go overnight to alot of places anyway.

FedEx2000

Glad to see you back for a minute. You couldn't be more right if u tried. We are "combining" or "collapsing" routes all together on a daily basis and expected to still make our current on road sph goals and rtb times. Its absolutely ridiculous. We are getting so far away from actually servicing the customer its pathetic. The only criteria now is productivity, plain and simple. Some of our managers have even said that its "ok to have lates, just run your numbers." What? isn't that what we do? Provide a service....well, I guess not now according to MT3's plan....its all about on road now... I would like to see ONE, just one manager go on road and be held accountable for what we do on any given day. Seems to me like if you can't do it, you shouldn't expect to ask someone else to do it either. Oh yeah, especially in 90 to 100 degree weather...

Newsflash: Managers are accountable for what their employees do onroad everyday. If their workgroup isn't making their onroad goals, they/we are being held accountable just the same. Or at least they are supposed to be, I can't say for sure what your Sr. Mgr is doing. I agree, some of the things being done are a bit ridiculous.......there are plenty of mgr openings if you are looking for a change, but you're in for a shock if you think mgrs aren't held accountable for anything.