Drip Drip Drip - Wikileaks

rickyb

P: They’re not even informed, which is a question in a liberal democracy about who is in charge of the military? Who is in charge of the shadows? Right after 9/11, Vice President Dick Cheney famously said, “Well now it’s time to work in the shadows.” Who’s in charge of the shadows? Vice President Cheney? In a liberal democracy you assume that the political branch, which includes the State Department, is leading some of these matters and is the one you hold accountable. After all, Chris, you can’t hold the shadows accountable. We don’t know what’s happening in the shadows. If you’re going to permit the shadows to operate—people to operate in the shadows—then the only agency that’s accountable to the citizenry is the State Department. I don’t mean to sound naive here. I don’t mean to sound like “Oh my god, how silly of him,” because what happens is, there’s a kind of patina of cynicism that enters the public. The public says, “Of course it’s going to be like that.” That “of course” is the road to authoritarianism. You have to hold your values very close to you, not just close to your chest but you’ve got to hold those values out there in public because once you start taking a cynical attitude to the institutions and ideology of your society, you’re going to end up giving license for authoritarianism.

CH: We’ve just watched with the seizure of Assange, the violation of several laws, of international law, the right to political asylum, the violation of sovereignty under the Ecuadorian institution. You can’t—on Ecuadorian soil which is what the embassy is considered—you can’t send foreign police in. The whole imprisonment of Assange, who has never committed a crime or even—certainly within Britain—been charged for a crime. This whole bail thing was resolved. The Swedish charges were dropped. This is a kind of microcosm of how these global elites and this imperial power creates the kind of facade of law, but behind the scenes eviscerate the law. It’s how we in the United States have a right to privacy with no privacy. It’s how we have due process with no due process. It’s how our rights are supposedly protected and the executive authorizes—under Obama—assassinate Anwar al-Awlaki and his 16-year-old son. Both U.S. citizens. It’s how you have the mirage of free elections that are corporate funded, corporate controlled and reported on by a corporate media. I look at what’s happened to Assange as a window into the breakdown of the rule of law.

First Julian Assange, Then Us

rickyb

EFF‏Verified account @EFF Apr 11

The US government has been trying to punish publication of government misconduct for years. With this indictment, the government uses the thinnest of covers—attempted assistance with figuring out a password—as a cover for criminalizing journalism.

42 replies 828 retweets 1,388 likes

EFF‏Verified account @EFF

Much of this indictment appears to cover ordinary journalistic activity, like protecting sources. The indictment even casts the use of common free software tools like Linux and Jabber as evidence of a criminal conspiracy. This is an alarming day for friends of press freedom.

10:40 AM - 11 Apr 2019

rickyb

america looking more like china all the time:

D7Vvar5X4AUoy5L

vantexan

america looking more like china all the time:

D7Vvar5X4AUoy5L
If the U.S. was like China then reporters who make up stuff in efforts to remove political leaders would disappear. If we were like China then reporters wouldn't even voice such things out loud. If America was like China and if you lived here Ricky you would have disappeared long ago. In America people are allowed to screech nonsense 24/7 without consequence. They are just as culpable in making our democracy less palatable as anyone else. The Chinese value harmony and obedience and are willing to kill to maintain that. That sounds like a lot of things but not the United States.

rickyb

If the U.S. was like China then reporters who make up stuff in efforts to remove political leaders would disappear. If we were like China then reporters wouldn't even voice such things out loud. If America was like China and if you lived here Ricky you would have disappeared long ago. In America people are allowed to screech nonsense 24/7 without consequence. They are just as culpable in making our democracy less palatable as anyone else. The Chinese value harmony and obedience and are willing to kill to maintain that. That sounds like a lot of things but not the United States.
im guessing the west in general is sliding towards authoritarianism, but i know america is:

upload_2020-4-20_16-1-5.png

rickyb

1601919360473.png

i feel like our society punishes certain ppl on the spectrum with unwritten rules. you can have political clothes across the border just not too much. you can do journalism but not too much. you can have maybe some left wing views, but not too much otherwise you will be blacklisted from MSM and worst case have to leave your country like has happened in america's past.

rickyb

Renegade Inc.

@Renegade_Inc

·
Mar 30

Leadership...
Quote Tweet

iH4BdNIT_mini.jpg

Stella Moris #DropTheCharges

@StellaMoris1
· Mar 28
After a hard night, Julian woke up this morning to a kind, personal message from Pope Francis @pontifex delivered to his cell door by the prison priest. Our family wishes to express our gratitude to the many Catholics and other Christians campaigning for his freedom. #Assange
Show this thread

bbsam

Staff member
View attachment 312216
i feel like our society punishes certain ppl on the spectrum with unwritten rules. you can have political clothes across the border just not too much. you can do journalism but not too much. you can have maybe some left wing views, but not too much otherwise you will be blacklisted from MSM and worst case have to leave your country like has happened in america's past.
I guess I’m more stunned by how they do it. Toss the perpetrator in a dark cell and move on. Let the news cycle turn to the next days’ outrages and soon people forget. Or even if they don’t forget, the story loses a lot of it’s power.

rickyb

I guess I’m more stunned by how they do it. Toss the perpetrator in a dark cell and move on. Let the news cycle turn to the next days’ outrages and soon people forget. Or even if they don’t forget, the story loses a lot of it’s power.
Yea wat describes this the 24 hr news cycle? the news is in bed with the govt they depend on govt for access. wikileaks was also a prime example of news producing flak against assange.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

bbsam

Staff member
Why is the crooked Biden administration refusing to release the tapes of Joe's call with the Ukrainian President. Democrats had a fake impeachment over this issue.
Look. Trump isn’t going to be president again. The Republican Party should just sacrifice him on the political altar and open everything up about him. Get it over with once and for all. His brand is fading. It’s over.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Look. Trump isn’t going to be president again. The Republican Party should just sacrifice him on the political altar and open everything up about him. Get it over with once and for all. His brand is fading. It’s over.
Can you describe his brand?

vantexan

Until Democrats can demonstrate that the Clintons got legitimately rich without influence peddling, that the Biden family never traded on Joe's positions as senator and vice president to rake in millions, you are just going to have to make up stuff about Trump like you always have and hope it sticks.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You quoted my question, yet instead of answering it, you just cried about President Trump
Try again homie:
Why is the crooked Biden administration refusing to release the tapes of Joe's call with the Ukrainian President. Democrats had a fake impeachment over this issue.

bbsam

Staff member
Until Democrats can demonstrate that the Clintons got legitimately rich without influence peddling, that the Biden family never traded on Joe's positions as senator and vice president to rake in millions, you are just going to have to make up stuff about Trump like you always have and hope it sticks.
Why would I make up anything?

You want evidence that the Bidens never traded on their positions? That the Clintons got rich legitimately? Lol. Cmon man. I know you’re not that naive.

The Clintons and the Bidens are filthy and everyone knows it. They are swamp creatures playing swamp games.

But you’re not fooling anybody suggesting that the Trump gang is any less so and pointing fingers across the aisle doesn’t do you any good at all.

And the Republican Party leadership would love nothing more than to turn on Trump and be done with him already. They grow very weary of bowing and scraping before the Orange Messiah and fear only losing political support by turning on his lies and deceit. They won’t stay fearful forever. They may as well rip the band-aid off and be done with it.

bbsam

Staff member
You quoted my question, yet instead of answering it, you just cried about President Trump
Try again homie:
Why? Because nobody cares. It comes of as the same old political crying about the other side. It’s boring. The general consensus is that politicians are corrupt. Trump (for “not being a politician”) is no different. My opinion is that Trump Is beginning to lose his luster and holding on to his coattails and spreading his lies are not going to remain politically profitable. When that happens, it’s time for the swamp creatures to eat their own.