Driver gets fired

tieguy

Banned
Big brown santa asks a good question. What did the driver steal? is it a bonus center? Do they know for sure that there were not more over 70's on his truck. next question did the guy have any priors for bad dR's or was this his first incident?

705 your argument is good if drivers are being made to pay for dr's that were correct procedurely but bad decisions. But in this case the package was in plain sight not out of sight. If the package was dr'd out of sight and the consignee did not recieve then that would be a different issue. UPS does not empower the driver to leave a packaage out in plain sight exposed to weather.

SWORDFISH

red705 Im w/ you. Fortunatley where I am they cant make us pay for anything but if I had a package I dr'd that was stolen and UPS made me pay I wouldnt ever dr to them again. I would envolve the police and I would start geting signatures to make sure I had record of all pkgs being recieved by the customer.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Mike

There have been a lot of things change since the new sheriff came to town in Tennessee.

And handing out warning letters and dumping drivers is just for starters.

Look for more in the future.

As for the over 70's, claiming work that gives you more time allowance is stealing one way or another. Its just easier to prove and stick in a bonus center. But it has been done in non bonus centers as well, just not as common.

d

Overpaid Union Thug

Mike

There have been a lot of things change since the new sheriff came to town in Tennessee.

And handing out warning letters and dumping drivers is just for starters.

Look for more in the future.

As for the over 70's, claiming work that gives you more time allowance is stealing one way or another. Its just easier to prove and stick in a bonus center. But it has been done in non bonus centers as well, just not as common.

d

The daily "Safety Alerts" are starting to get on my nerves!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
he should have stopped and had supervisor give him something in writing, signed and dated, and kept for his protection.

I do not have to give you anything sign and dated. You work as instructed. Grieve it if you do not like it. We don't work for you, you work for us. If you have any doubt check your pay stub it says UPS not Teamsters !!

If Mark put it out of sight and out of weather (its called a method) he would not have had to pay for it.

RoyalFlush

One of Them
If mark dred a package at a safe dr spot in a safe dr neighborhood and was charged with its loss, it is at marks discretion to dr. A sup cannot force you to dr packages that you feel is an unsafe dr as mark seems to have felt. We have drivers here who do the exact same thing and the only time i was put on notive of payment for a so called bad dr i did the same. On monday i brought back 40 n/ins, on tuesday i brought back 70 n/ins, on wed i brought back 90plus n/ins, on thursday i brought back 60 or so n/ins but more than 50 missed, and on friday they had to put in a half day route to clean my area. I was pulled in the office and i informed the company that i refuse to dr any package for the rest of my career if they plan to hold me accountable for a good d.r that they FELT was a bad dr. Needless to say they stopped pursuing the issue, because as an employee we have been trained to use good judgement, and if we do then we should not be held responsible for a freak theft or bogus customer claim.

I fail to see the logic in intentionally putting a target on oneself. You can be difficult to make a point, but you are subjecting yourself to discipline and retaliation from the people in control of your destiny. I know there are a lot of people that think they are safe as long as the do their job, but sooner or later you're likely to make a mistake and the person or people making the decision on how to deal with that mistake are the same people you've been poking in the eye with a stick. It's kinda like screwing with the cops when you live in a one cop town. They have to follow the law, but they sure can make you legally miserable and they can make sure the rules are enforced to the strictest possible limits. Even when you win, they don't lose and if you lose once, you're finished. It's not worth the chance in my opinion.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Without substantial proof and, apparently, without being allowed to face his accuser, Mark is being sent a bill for an item that disappeared despite him doing everything within his control.

Thats the problem here Mark did not do everything within his control. Out of sight out of weather was only half done. Mark thought he had the right to decide it was ok to leave the pkg in plain view dependent on his opinion of what is and is not a good neighborhood. Mark was then made to pay for his poor dr and thought he would retaliate by getting signatures when the package is missing because he didn't do the delivery right the first time. So he is still not accepting any blame for his poor dr decision. So now he escalated his response and turned this event into a P___ing contest.

On another thought anyone ever ask to file a theft report with the police department when they were made to pay for a lost package? If I had to pay for one I think I'd be asking the police to meet me at that house and investigate the theft.
That's a good point. Here all DFUs' are accompanied by a google map showing the area in question, with address makers on each building, and a icon indicating the Diad's position when the stop was completed. If the customer still claims they didn't receive a package, they are notified that due to our evidence, UPS requires a police theft report (case number) in order to pay the claim.

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
That's a good point. Here all DFUs' are accompanied by a google map showing the area in question, with address makers on each building, and a icon indicating the Diad's position when the stop was completed. If the customer still claims they didn't receive a package, they are notified that due to our evidence, UPS requires a police theft report (case number) in order to pay the claim.

Now this is a good idea and should be used by everyone. Great post Signature.

govols019

You smell that?
he should have stopped and had supervisor give him something in writing, signed and dated, and kept for his protection.

I do not have to give you anything sign and dated. You work as instructed. Grieve it if you do not like it. We don't work for you, you work for us. If you have any doubt check your pay stub it says UPS not Teamsters !!

If Mark put it out of sight and out of weather (its called a method) he would not have had to pay for it.

Wow. Someone is full of themselves.

Overpaid Union Thug

Why? I actually think they are a good idea. They make you think about what you're doing.

See brownmonster's response below to see why I hate them. Our center has already appeared in one of those messages. LOL!

I like reading them when a busy customer is waiting to sign and move on. Dear Mgmnt. Please include a prerecord option when sending me time wasting info.

slantnosechevy

chances are the customer is lying..

75% of them lie, but it costs too much money to go after them unless it's a slam dunk. Easier to blame the driver especially one they don't like or one who doesn't like them. Best solution is like someone else mentioned, have the customer listed in the DIAD as a level 4 claim. Deliver as instructed you get paid by the hour. How simple does it get?

QKRSTKR

Here we can file a grievance before we have to pay for anything. Then the company can present it's case at a hearing, and if nothing else, sometimes the union can get the cost down.

I do agree however that if it's clearly a bad DR and it gets stolen, it's your fault. What was wrong with the back door, side door, deck etc. If you feel there is no safe place to leave a pkg then by all means, bring it back. Corner houses are sometimes very hard to find a place out of site. But to do what he did by not DR ing anything is ridiculous.

DFU's are going to be a very hot issue this year with the economy not getting any better. UPS doesn't want to pay for anything. I have also heard that if a driver knows someone at the house gets the package after you put porch, side door, etc. and try to file a claim, UPS is taking the rte. the consignee need to file a police report for stolen property. Also use the remarks column on the diad. I use it if I hide under mat, inside of door, that way you may remember exactly what u did with said package and can tell mgmt is was out of site.

And as for UPS not being able to use diad info. to terminate is wrong. If you are putting in wrong info purposefully, why can't they fire you? They can't use calculated time based on time study info to fire you. 1 hour over or 1 hour under doensn't matter. Putting in 10 pkgs at a p/u when you only pick up 5 is a sure way to get fired. Same with over 70lbs. Either you had 5 or you didn't. I too follow the label on package. If there is a big H I use it. If not or if it feels heavier I don't. Who the hell am I? Weight and measures?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
In the latest update to the DIAD (mid-year 2009) your management team can add additional locations in the diad to reflect different locations you may leave it so you do not have to add it to remarks column. It is posted on I-gate website if your team cares to look for it.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I fail to see the logic in intentionally putting a target on oneself. You can be difficult to make a point, but you are subjecting yourself to discipline and retaliation from the people in control of your destiny. I know there are a lot of people that think they are safe as long as the do their job, but sooner or later you're likely to make a mistake and the person or people making the decision on how to deal with that mistake are the same people you've been poking in the eye with a stick. It's kinda like screwing with the cops when you live in a one cop town. They have to follow the law, but they sure can make you legally miserable and they can make sure the rules are enforced to the strictest possible limits. Even when you win, they don't lose and if you lose once, you're finished. It's not worth the chance in my opinion.

When would you stand up for yourself? I dont let sups work or charge me for bs bad dr's. That is money out of my pocket that I worked really hard to earn.
The key is not to put yourself in that position. I do not care if I am not liked, this is a job not a personality contest.