Driver terminated using gps info

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The quote by Shrimpfire had one important phrase--"...if you just run air..." We have had several drivers disciplined for late NDA that had delivered ground pkgs not in conjunction with a NDA stop before having delivered all of their NDA. Of course, if you can do that and still get all the air off on time, there is no problem, as I do that all of the time.

As I asked earlier and Heffernan also asked, I would be curious as to what time Brown Dog actually delivered the late NDA.

Last edited:

tourists24

The quote by Shrimpfire had one important phrase--"...if you just run air..." We have had several drivers disciplined for late NDA that had delivered ground pkgs not in conjunction with a NDA stop before having delivered all of their NDA.

You are right about this NY... we've had drivers disciplined for the same thing.

One thing I might add,,, what does it matter what the actual delivery time is? The customer pays for a definite commit time (10:30, 12:00 etc). That time is very specific. It is our job to get it there BEFORE that time. Whether it was 10:31 or 1:31 is irrelevent. You either make it or you dont.

barnyard

KTM rider
This could have started with a customer concern.

My wife works at a company that is a $10M account with UPS. Just about everything she sends out is NDA. One of the places that she ships to regularly was not getting their NDA packages before 10:30. Keep in mind, this was all for the same address; one was sheeted 'moved' at 10:28, delivered at 11:15; another sheeted as closed at 10:15, delivered at 11:30 (this business opens at 8a, she also sends EAMs that are delivered by 9a). In all, she had a dozen examples of packages sheeted before 10:30 as not delivered, then reattempted and delivered after 11.

Anyways, I told her not to call UPS (avoid official concerns) and talked to the sales rep that handles the account. He called the center (upstate NY) and fixed it.

This became an issue because the company that my wife ships to schedules their day's work at 10:30, completes the work and ships out that night NDA. Those late packages cost a day because they were not tested till the next day.

There are alot of businesses that all looking for an excuse to switch carriers, we don't need to give them one. Since that episode, I sheet everything by the methods, I let my bosses know if stuff will be late and let them deal with it. I will not use a method that could cost us a large account.

TB

One of the places that she ships to regularly was not getting their NDA packages before 10:30. Keep in mind, this was all for the same address; one was sheeted 'moved' at 10:28, delivered at 11:15; another sheeted as closed at 10:15, delivered at 11:30 (this business opens at 8a, she also sends EAMs that are delivered by 9a). In all, she had a dozen examples of packages sheeted before 10:30 as not delivered, then reattempted and delivered after 11.
I would love to hear the drivers account of those discrepancies. Also, are all the packages delivered at the same point in the address location or do they go to different offices within the building. Is this one stop or multi stops?

barnyard

KTM rider
It is a 1 stop office. Packages are delivered through the front door (office building) to the receptionist.

It would have been nice to hear what they had to do to resolve this. My wife said that when the sales guy was in, he made a point to stop by her cube and let her know that he took care of it.

TB

Thanks for the reply, I'm not trying to erase the drivers responsibility, just wanting to understand how he/she thought they could get away with that kind of recording. To your knowledge was any NDA to that address delivered on time that day?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Here's an idea. Go back to 8 or 8:10 start times instead of 9. I'm not skipping a 100 piece dump stop to get some clowns resi NDA letter off. Give us the time to serve the damn customer. All of them.

barnyard

KTM rider
It was multiple days that it happened. It happened for at least a month, my wife did not have the time to check back any further, but when they were late, they were late with everything.

Since it has happened all the people in her office check the progress of NDAs to make sure they are delivered on time. This is the biggest issue, because now, this group of people do not trust us to do the honest thing. UPS took an integrity hit in that office and it will take a while, if ever, to build that back.

Another concern that I have is that now, instead of the building that was delivered late, another area is being delivered late instead of having air drivers insure that all NDAa are delivered on time. In that respect, I almost wish my wife had called it in and made it an official concern.

This is getting to be the norm, unfortunately. The same company tried Fedex and they sheeted packages one day and delivered them the next. DHL had either damage issues or late issues or lost issues with 25-30% of the volume that they shipped with them. Right now, it appears that UPS is the one that lies the least.

That's disappointing to me.

TB

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
And all 3 companies push their drivers to go out and drum up more business. Start proving you can handle the volume and serve the customers you have and maybe we'll look for more.

Ghost in the Darkness

Just curious as to why you would have to type a stop in manually, even after deleting the pkg from EDD as "not found". As long as you have a stop left in EDD, you can go back to a stop that you have deleted simply by scanning the pkg. However, if your EDD is complete, then, yes, you would have to enter it manually.

That is why I said type it in manually. Unfortunately we have preloaders who can't read and supervisors who forget (?) to move splits in EDD so its not all that uncommon to get packages in the load that aren't in EDD. I also am one who gets sent to help out other drivers and its normally after I'm done with my work. I'm just mentioning it because its something I've observed... not because its a way to buck their system. Its just a reminder to me that most of us drivers are smarter and more reliable than their PAS system and their GPS. Essentially its flaws in their new system that I take as compliments that I'm good at what I do... like an unspoken pat on the back :happy2:.

over9five

Staff member
We had a driver here who was expecting an urgent EAM he needed to get before he left for work. Didn't come, so when he got in, he tracked it.
Came up "need directions" at 7:50, then delivered at 8:10. (He lives on a main street). He was Bravo Sierra! Went straight to the center and yelled at a sup that this was dishonest and he was going to report it when he demanded his refund. The sup went into the computer and changed it so it would show late.

I don't know what happened to the air driver who was dishonest. Hopefully, he got taught a lesson.

Brownnblue

As far as the GPS tracking... I have stops every day where i'm at the right place and the diad will go nuts with the 'winnin slot machine tune' it plays when your 'out of area' Is the Diad area and the GPS one in the same or are they different systems?

Same with my E-brake, I can set it at every stop but the dash still lights up reminding me i need to set the ebrake and plays the ongoing beep beep beep

Good points here, especially if disciplinary action can now occur with this new technology.

Just how accurate is this GPS? I did the lat/long check by hitting 8 in the communication screen one day while waiting for late air. I then did it with another driver's DIAD, and the numbers were not even remotely close.

My e-brake light on the dash goes off when the e-brake is applied, this happens at every stop. Sometimes when I return to the truck after completing the stop it is still going off.

Same thing with the seat belt light. My seat belt is always engaged, but the light on the dash is on. (this does not happen as often as the e-brake light)

rod

Retired 22 years
It is a 1 stop office. Packages are delivered through the front door (office building) to the receptionist.

It would have been nice to hear what they had to do to resolve this. My wife said that when the sales guy was in, he made a point to stop by her cube and let her know that he took care of it.

TB
Won't happen again until the next time some beatup UPS driver gets fed up with being yelled at constantly for late air after being ignored when he warns them he can't get his air off in time. Many times I would tell the preload sup that a few of my airs would be late only to have him turn around and walk away yelling "just do it".

tourists24

rod;306233 Many times I would tell the preload sup that a few of my airs would be late only to have him turn around and walk away yelling "just do it".[/quote said:
good thing about this is that your butt is covered once you've told them you will have late. Let em get mad but if you cant cover them then you cant cover them. Some around here get threatened disciplined if they arent off on time, but as long as you run air only, there is no argument for them

barnyard

KTM rider
Won't happen again until the next time some beatup UPS driver gets fed up with being yelled at constantly for late air after being ignored when he warns them he can't get his air off in time. Many times I would tell the preload sup that a few of my airs would be late only to have him turn around and walk away yelling "just do it".

I have had the same thing happen. I then send a message via the diad and wait for the response. I have asked to have diad messages printed up for a particular day, so they know I am CMA. Once I started doing that, I was hassled less.

TB

tieguy

Banned
Sure, she falsified, but what about the managers who falsify on a daily basis to make their numbers look good?
:angry:

and those managers would say and what about the other managers or the divison managers that falsify their numbers.

Better to not get yourself caught up in that bag of excuses.

I do agree that Honesty is the best policy, no bout adoubt it. I do, however, see it as very ironic that some managers stress integrity to the lengths of using it to fire someone, when they, themselves, are the worst offenders. Maybe not as ironic as hypocritical.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

There is nothing wrong with the new contract if you having nothing to hide.

It's not what is IN the contract, but what was failed to be addressed. the language is very weak; any employee is not to be disciplined due to information gathered by GPS only....so, GPS plus a managers word, versus employee IS good enough? It's really sad that this work process and technology has come to this point in a way. Most drivers are honest, hard working people and could still face unnecessary discipline because of the vague language.

mikestrek

I've Scanned a NDA before the 10:30 mark, but i've never released the package prior to getting there...I "THINK" your okay if you just scan it...and then release it once you get there.

As far as the GPS tracking... I have stops every day where i'm at the right place and the diad will go nuts with the 'winnin slot machine tune' it plays when your 'out of area' Is the Diad area and the GPS one in the same or are they different systems?

Same with my E-brake, I can set it at every stop but the dash still lights up reminding me i need to set the ebrake and plays the ongoing beep beep beep

LEDDY, I wouldn't count on that. I believe when you push "stop complete". That promps the time stamp for that stop. Just like if you pre-record a NDA and forget about it until after the commit time. When you stop complete it, even though you scaned it earlier. It will promp for a reason delivered late.