Drivers: Walk Path ???????

Work right slow and safe

now lets say you have two car's parked in the drive way and you have to walk down the center of them ? then what take a chance of the diad hitting one car( in the diad pouch), tripping and droping the box on the cars. The customer needing a new paint job and calls in that you hit there car cause they see a scrach now.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you are asking for something in writing then, no, I don't have that. I was taught direct path from PC to door.

I don't believe anyone at UPS has the power to tell you to walk across peoples lawns. I know a few stops that I would love to see someone try. Its a wonder that some aggarent drivers like upstate haven't been shot.:peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
now lets say you have two car's parked in the drive way and you have to walk down the center of them ? then what take a chance of the diad hitting one car( in the diad pouch), tripping and droping the box on the cars. The customer needing a new paint job and calls in that you hit there car cause they see a scrach now.
Choices, choices. Here's the answer. You carry the package to the house and come back for the DIAD. If multiple pkgs add that many trips.

I don't believe anyone at UPS has the power to tell you to walk across peoples lawns. I know a few stops that I would love to see someone try. Its a wonder that some aggarent drivers like upstate haven't been shot.:peaceful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbXsZlPbN90

UPSGUY72

This really isn't to complicated if you think about. Every stop has a new set of circustances that we have to take into account on how we make the delivery. Sometimes it might make sence to use the driveway and side walk other times in might not. I take the shortest distance except when the circustances prohibit from doing so.

To say that walking across the grass makes you more prone to twisting your ankle is BS you have a better chance of twisting your ankle when getting out of your package car than on the grass if your scanning your working area like your area suppose to.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This really isn't to complicated if you think about. Every stop has a new set of circustances that we have to take into account on how we make the delivery. Sometimes it might make sence to use the driveway and side walk other times in might not. I take the shortest distance except when the circustances prohibit from doing so.

To say that walking across the grass makes you more prone to twisting your ankle is BS you have a better chance of twisting your ankle when getting out of your package car than on the grass if your scanning your working area like your area suppose to.
That's only half true, UG72. The grassy area may look inviting, but you never know what lies beneath. There could be dips, soft areas, twigs, rocks and maybe even a garden hose that you don't see. The man made walkway is by far, the safest and most customer friendly path.

over9five

Staff member
Lol! Some of you definitely got the "Runner and Gunner" training!

The rest of us professional drivers will be using sidewalks and walkways.

browned out

There was a driver in are center who went across a lawn and twisted his ankle of a "marble" sized rock. As per procedure; UPS sent the center manager or sup out there and they brought back the culprit; this little rock.

I wish the driver would have slipped on a piece of dog do do or a used condom; lets see em bring that for a visual at the PCM. Use the designated walk paths please

bigbrownhen

Use your own judgement on this one. Yes, 9 times out of 10 it is safer to use the sidewalk or driveway. If you have an oversize box, and trying to squeeze between the cars to reach the porch, then cut accross the grass. In my area, most people couldn't care less if you walk on their grass. The manacured lawns (no dandylions or clover) I tend to stay off of. I haven't had an issue with customers getting upset over footprints in a yard, half of them tell me its ok to turn the truck around in the grass, even when it has recently rained. Just make the best decision you can given the different circumstances we encounter on a daily basis. Common sense is all it takes.

SWORDFISH

Ok so this figuritive guy decides to walk across the lawn instead because hes worried about the cars. As he is doing so he steps in a hole tears his ACL, breaks his foot and his diad going flying into one of those cars and dents it. I will let you picture the meeting in the CMs office the next mourning.

SWORDFISH

Rod your old school though. Things have changed alot.