Economics

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
People sometimes choose Express to 'guarantee' next day service. Just because Ground CAN get it there the next day, there's no guarantee it will be there.

That's right. Ground might get it to the wrong adress the next day or maybe even the day after that. They aren't exactly known for service excellence.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
No way! Married men are off limits for me. Too much drama. :) Mitchel, on the other hand, sounds like he has the total package. No wife, no kids, large and a nice bank account. What's not to like? Lol.
Tread carefully now...He didn't mention exactly what aspect of him is "large".....What if it's his ears? He could look like Prince Charles. After all, it's not like it would be the first time anyone on this forum used ambiguity to promote their agenda.

bbsam

Staff member
Tread carefully now...He didn't mention exactly what aspect of him is "large".....What if it's his ears? He could look like Prince Charles. After all, it's not like it would be the first time anyone on this forum used ambiguity to promote their agenda.

I'm wondering when you will get to your organizing agenda...if ever.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I'm wondering when you will get to your organizing agenda...if ever.

come on now sam, how would you know that I'm not?...just because I'm not reporting my activities back here (wouldn't be a real smart move), or you haven't seen anything about it on the 6 o'clock news? (we all know that none of us are that important to Mr. and Mrs. Joe Schmoe)...I have no idea what you do during the day, how could you possibly know what I'm doing?

Yes, I hear the clock ticking - tick tock tick tock (just in case northbound would like to take a rest) so rest assured I'm doing my part....but I'm just one little individual here and this is a pretty mammoth mountain I'm attempting to move. Will it amount to anything other than my slightly pre-mature involuntary exit? Who the hell knows. But the insinuation that I'm just sitting back waiting for the union to come to me is totally unfounded. Scoff if you like.

BTW, hard as it may be to believe, the (slightly) facetious comment I made on my previous post wasn't directed at you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Now I know why Basketball sneakers are so big.

Ask Sarah Palin about basketball players and big..uh...feet. Back to Economics, OK? Ground is cheap because they pay very low wages for the type of work performed....that's it. Code82 has a valid point regarding freight that is within the overnight zone for trucks, but he misses the larger point about Ground, and that goes back to the low wages/no benefits business model. Take away the low wages, make them employees, and a lot of that freight goes back to Express because of better service, less damage, and a better customer experience. The only reason people even consider Ground is because it is cheap.

STFXG

So wages are the only factor? Not that trucks are cheaper than planes? There's nothing else about the operation of a trucking company that is cheaper than an airline?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So wages are the only factor? Not that trucks are cheaper than planes? There's nothing else about the operation of a trucking company that is cheaper than an airline?

A "vendor" shows his ignorance about how Express operates. Express trucks everything they can to avoid putting it on a plane. There is a massive amount of volume trucked interstate every night. If you'd ever been to an Express hub you'd see hundreds of semis full of P1 and E2 that is within trucking range. They used to be mainly Express semis, but Fred contracted most of that out during the Tracy Schidt era. Thanks, Fred!!

STFXG

It's not ignorance. You're just making a ridiculous argument. You're slipping lately. "Wages" are the ONLY thing keeping the cost of ground lower than express.

MAKAVELI

It's not ignorance. You're just making a ridiculous argument. You're slipping lately. "Wages" are the ONLY thing keeping the cost of ground lower than express.
How much money would FedEx save if they combined Express and Ground? There is a lot of extra expenses involved having separate opco. The only reason they sesperate them is because of the huge advantage of having cheap labor and keeping the union out.