Electric vehicles

FedupExpress

I didn't see a thread on it,

What's the deal with these, our station just got em, I did the training recently

The lady who briefed me on the truck said, "they are only meant to last for 1 year!".

Ours are already falling apart, chargers aren't functioning, and apparently w
Fedex is leasing them lol

I figured you guys could add to the thread so I can at me get some kicks

bacha29

I didn't see a thread on it,

What's the deal with these, our station just got em, I did the training recently

The lady who briefed me on the truck said, "they are only meant to last for 1 year!".

Ours are already falling apart, chargers aren't functioning, and apparently w
Fedex is leasing them lol

I figured you guys could add to the thread so I can at me get some kicks
Most likely they were acquired using R&D money. However as FDX continues to cut costs the R&D budget will be cut significantly. It's my understanding that the delivery robot program has ended as well.

qdg2

What exactly is R&D money?
UPS and likely FDX are heavily subsidized with "govt grants' and "tax breaks" to develop "green" crap. Like CNG.....which thanks to the same liberals have become the reason for climate change....natural gas. R&D money is probably such. Electric vehicles have never worked at UPS and "robotic"(drones) deliveries are a current fantasy too.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
UPS and likely FDX are heavily subsidized with "govt grants' and "tax breaks" to develop "green" crap. Like CNG.....which thanks to the same liberals have become the reason for climate change....natural gas. R&D money is probably such. Electric vehicles have never worked at UPS and "robotic"(drones) deliveries are a current fantasy too.
For once, I agree with you. These are "feel good" projects that make it look like companies actually care about going Green, Same for hybrid locomotives and alternative fuels for jets. They don't pencil out.

Artee

The trucks will help boost the ESG score of FDX.

They are supposed to last more that one year. Mechanic said first year all they have to check is fluids. Second year they will be taught how to do brake jobs on them. Third year will be taught how to replace batteries.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
While they aren't very "Green", locomotives have been diesel/electric hybrids for nearly a century.
No. A traditional diesel-electric locomotive has a diesel prime mover that powers a generator. That electricity then goes to traction motors on each axle. Not hybrid, and they burn a lot of fuel. Early diesel electrics started running as switchers in the 1920s and then, as power and reliability increased, they became capable of long haul service, which eliminated the steam locomotive.

FedupExpress

I was told they will be swapped out yearly with new models, nothing will be fixed as fedex does not own them.

Another reason we are not allowed to mess with the vehicle settings.

qdg2

Don't forget diesel/electric submarines......been around100 years too. but like electric whatever......short range and horribly complicated.

qdg2

The trucks will help boost the ESG score of FDX.

They are supposed to last more that one year. Mechanic said first year all they have to check is fluids. Second year they will be taught how to do brake jobs on them. Third year will be taught how to replace batteries.
A trip to the local Tractor Supply showed (all battery) zero turn mowers. Easily twice as expensive as gas models. They had one(electric) open for display.....all batteries. I cannot wait for some yahoo to start trying to "repair""modify" etc. on all that juice. Let the electrocution begin. Can't happen? Oh, you bet. And where you gonna take them to.....dispose or throw away? There are plenty of gas models sitting in yards around here(country).......I can buy parts for my John Deere on Amazon and fix anything on it, including the gasoline engine. Settled technology that can be accomplished by just about anyone with a modicum of mechanical ability....likely your neighbor or Uncle etc. It would be tough for me to just park a $7000 mower.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Don't forget diesel/electric submarines......been around100 years too. but like electric whatever......short range and horribly complicated.
Diesel/electric submarines are an actual hybrid, because they use the diesel to charge batteries that actually run the vessel underwater. That's why the old subs had to surface or use the snorkel...so they could get air to run the diesel and recharge the batteries.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A trip to the local Tractor Supply showed (all battery) zero turn mowers. Easily twice as expensive as gas models. They had one(electric) open for display.....all batteries. I cannot wait for some yahoo to start trying to "repair""modify" etc. on all that juice. Let the electrocution begin. Can't happen? Oh, you bet. And where you gonna take them to.....dispose or throw away? There are plenty of gas models sitting in yards around here(country).......I can buy parts for my John Deere on Amazon and fix anything on it, including the gasoline engine. Settled technology that can be accomplished by just about anyone with a modicum of mechanical ability....likely your neighbor or Uncle etc. It would be tough for me to just park a $7000 mower.
In SoCal, you can't even buy new yard equipment. It must be battery or have an electric cord. I recently bought a Honda generator and it's clearly labeled as "Illegal for Sale In California".

zeev

Electric vehicles just another publicity stunt by FedEx, have a few vehicles than send out endless press releases. Till Tesla makes an electric van nothing will change. Model Y biggest selling car in the world everybody else at starting line.

BoxDriver

Not a good day at the show for Dewalt.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Electric vehicles just another publicity stunt by FedEx, have a few vehicles than send out endless press releases. Till Tesla makes an electric van nothing will change. Model Y biggest selling car in the world everybody else at starting line.
I saw a Tesla Class 8 tractor recently on a trip to CA. Pepsi is using them, but only locally because there's no way to charge them except at their home terminals, and it takes a long time. The driver said they might run them over the mountains but he didn't sound very positive. They're mostly just for show. The Rivian electric vans are already widely used by Amazon. They're huge, extremely ugly, but probably a decent delivery vehicle.

qdg2

I saw a Tesla Class 8 tractor recently on a trip to CA. Pepsi is using them, but only locally because there's no way to charge them except at their home terminals, and it takes a long time. The driver said they might run them over the mountains but he didn't sound very positive. They're mostly just for show. The Rivian electric vans are already widely used by Amazon. They're huge, extremely ugly, but probably a decent delivery vehicle.
OTR electric tractors not feasible(not possible). Fantasy.