Ethics and personal responsibilty

cino321

Watching tons of cars drive by a woman and her child as they walk to the grocery store in freezing weather. You could see the little girls ears practically glowing red.

Unfortunately, in our society, if I were a woman I wouldn't dare get into a stranger's car, especially if I had my child with me.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I haven't shined my shoes since I bought them 2 yrs ago.
All my shirt are wrinkled and pants too.
Yet they make me drive everyday.

pretzel_man

I haven't shined my shoes since I bought them 2 yrs ago.
All my shirt are wrinkled and pants too.
Yet they make me drive everyday.

Shame on your supervisor...

"When a driver does not have the complete uniform, or wears an odd sweater or overcoat — when his uniform is soiled, or his shirt has been worn for a week without washing — what kind of impression does that person create when making pick-ups or deliveries? And whose fault is that? The driver’s? No. It’s the fault of someone higher up for failing to insist that proper appearance be a requirement of the day’s work." -- Jim Casey (1946)

P-Man

Thorn

Remember the old RPS delivery guys. I wonder how many accounts they lost because they looked like a bunch of dirtballs.

Our uniform appearance presents a positive image that allows us into the front door of businesses when many trucking companies are directed to the back door or loading dock.

I have to disagree a little on this. RPS lost customers because they couldn't do what they said they would do which was deliver packages on time. The same can be said for DHL. They're not losing billions because their driver's won't shower or shave or shine their shoes, they're losing billions because they can't deliver their packages on time.

Maybe we should start a poll to find out how many drivers were told to go to the back door because their shoes weren't shined.

Good rapport between the driver and consignee or shipper, I think that trumps shined shoes any day. Throw in a dash of consistency, and that's really what gets drivers (and BD people) in the front door.

local804

Shame on your supervisor...

"When a driver does not have the complete uniform, or wears an odd sweater or overcoat — when his uniform is soiled, or his shirt has been worn for a week without washing — what kind of impression does that person create when making pick-ups or deliveries? And whose fault is that? The driver’s? No. It’s the fault of someone higher up for failing to insist that proper appearance be a requirement of the day’s work." -- Jim Casey (1946)

P-Man

:) clap

john346

No more Brown!
Awesome post Danny! Regarding the shine on the shoes, and personal appearance, isn't it as much about personal pride and integrity as anything else? Unfortunately, there are far too many folks out there who let the likes of Marilyn Manson, Axl Rose, and Shirley Manson raise their children. Further, these parents have the fervent belief that the school system is responsable for teaching the kids ethics, and morals which are as incomprehensable to them as Chinese math, yet the schools are the ones who are free sitters for the parents from 8:30 till 3:30, and somehow the kids are supposed to get taught these things.
When the kids grow up, and do EXACTLY as, or worse than the parents, the kid winds up in juvenile hall, it's always the "system" that has faild them. Generally there is some jerk lawyer who is willing to represent them to bargain the crimes down, so they can join the folks on the porch, and bitch over a cold case of Bohemia, about how the cops are just out to get them!
We have to face it, the scum always rises to the surface, and unfortunate for the rest of us, our only power seems to look on with distain, as their court-appointed lawyer would indeed love to sink his teeth into a good old discrimination case.
I've remarked for years on what type of a society it is that demands we have a license to drive a car, but anyone can have a child. We have, as a society, allowed some really crappy parenting to happen. Now they piss on the men's room floors.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Thorn

You are missing the point.

The uniform appearence that we have is one of dignity and efficiency. Just because of our uniform and the company we work for, we are allowed access to many places that no other company even dreams about.

It is the policy of that company that we always look the best we can under the day to day deliveries and issues we all face. And the best way is to start looking like a million bucks instead of a damn begger that slept in his browns the night before.

I always took pride in my appearance. My shoes might have missed a day getting polished, but they always looked good.

Im sorry the ones of you that dont get it dont understand the concept of being the best you can be. And that includes doing what the company asks you to do.

d

local804

Id prefer to look good just to look good not just because its required of me. You never have a second chance to make a good first impression and you never know who you will meet. If UPS wants my brown machine to llok like a dustball so be it, I know I will still look and feel good.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Everyone has pretty much picked up on the person responsibility and the dress code aspect of Daniels post. But hardly anyone has said anything about the companies ethics and treatment of its employees. Jim Casey was quoted. There have been many quotes in threads by Jim Casey. How do you think he would have felt about the treatment of employees nowadays.

"Any employee of UPS, regardless of his or her position within the company,
who violates our legal or ethical responsibilities, will be subject to appropriate
discipline, which may include dismissal. Non-compliance with
certain aspects of the​
Code and/or the Business Conduct and Compliance
Program also may subject the individual offender and UPS to civil and/or
criminal liability."

This quoted out of UPS's "Code of Business Conduct". Before Tie jumps in here and claims something like I hate the man and there is no mistreatment by mgt of employees (LOL), no I don't hate the man (although there are days when that is very difficult for me to say) and yes there is absolutely mistreatment by mgt. Some are very fortunate to have great mgt teams. It's to bad that not every center within this company has the same fortune.

tieguy

Banned
This quoted out of UPS's "Code of Business Conduct". Before Tie jumps in here and claims something like I hate the man and there is no mistreatment by mgt of employees (LOL), no I don't hate the man (although there are days when that is very difficult for me to say) and yes there is absolutely mistreatment by mgt. Some are very fortunate to have great mgt teams. It's to bad that not every center within this company has the same fortune.

While there are always exceptions to every rule , I often find that people are mistreated who allow theirselves to be mistreated.

Thorn

I guess I don't get it then.

I'll make you a deal. When my truck, windshield and cab gets washed, and the years of waterspots on my mirrors get removed, I'll polish my shoes.

Until then, I'll just blend in with my truck and continue to not get it.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have no problem going to work looking sharp, uniform with no wrinkles wearing the ups socks. One problem i have now ups has changed the uniform company and you have to guess the sizes to order because you will not fit into your regular sizes. These same uniforms fade and i understand they are free so i wont run on. However the socks that ups wants us to purchase are now the worst. I have no problem paying for my socks but i refuse to spend my hard earned money on garbage! the old sock company you could order every 2 years and get by. These new socks you cant even make it through your 9.5 day without the logo falling and within no time they are stretched out.

Ups get us a new vendor for the socks, try sewing the logo into the sock like the old logo no more of these iron ons.

Now when i wear polishable shoes they are spit shined, but in the summer in these hot trucks and over dispatched loads my feet just burn up. You need breathable shoes as in gym shoes to be comfortable for the day. I understand were alot of you old school upsers are coming from and i respect it. However this is not our daddys ups anymore and the times have changed a little. The work days are longer, the packages are heavier, the packages are bigger in size, while at the same time we are delivering to more residences now than ever before. Its alot more wear and tear on the feet, knees, hips and back. Theres nothing the matter with a nice pair of black or brown gym shoes that cant be polished if you can keep them in good shape.

daiku

I had to buy a GOOD jacket that was rain proof because the company would not provide me one. I paid a lot for it. I still wear it even though it has the old logo, which by the way is better than the weak one we have now. I ll wear it even if I have to take it in my back pack and take it out on road. I have ear rings that on occasion I wear, I am male. I have to say I would have loved to go home and get paid on the back end at the highest total hours worked that day by a senior member. Discrimination is just that. read the contract as it has been said in a post no larger than a dime. I have set in many many meetings with senior people. I still have a picture with our former CEO where clearly I have 2 earrings that are about dime sized. He had no problem with them as I have a excellent accident injury picture as well as a top revenue producer. I am also a steward - which really should not matter, but I put that out anyhow.

I am a younger guy, I would say however with 17 years in I am not too young. I tend to get a kick out of this kind of stuff. I actually can care less what you look like etc when I do business with you. I have found quite often that those " alternative" folks at my customers place of business tend to be some of the nicest and easiest people to work with. I will pay a premium for service, which is what UPS asks of its customers.

I am from CA and this I know makes a difference as to how MGMT freaks out on issues.

The truth is however our uniforms are really poorly made. The overall design quite frankly is crap as well. Our hats are terrible and we have people have custom ones made just so they do not look like elmer fudd. If the company would offer some decent gear we would even BUY it. YES remember when we bought the cotton shirts?

Anyhow how bout some Under Armour?

And to the people that quote Jim Casey like he was their brother. Jim Casey would Never have been so * as to go public and take the family aspect out of the company. I agree with much that he has said but the guy was around back in the day. He would KNOW that you do not have a large amount of vehicles that are NON power steering when you are putting ridiculous loads on people. He would KNOW that the cost for damaged employees will far outreach the cost of trying to get the next quarter earnings to make wall street happy. Gentlemen when the company overall ACTS like it really does care - I am all in. Until then, I will take every penny I earn and Ill still own no stock.

And tie guy, Ill always love your posts. Our safety committee put a longer hand rail in a car for a very short driver. The company FREAKED out. We were changing a vehicle, mind you it was from the 80's. This is a little thing. if you see now we have MANY of these same rails that have been put in cars. Our problem is that our management staff cannot get the balls to ask for what we need and not just be a sheep. As All of you know how many great managers sups have seen walk to the door out of just plain frustration.......the little things.

bellesotico

BOXstar

Actually theirselves is a reflexive pronoun, and limited to slang. In other words..it's a "shibboleth" :)

shib·bo·leth http://img.tfd.com/play.swf (sh
ibreve.gif
b
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-l
ibreve.gif
th, -l
ebreve.gif
th
lprime.gif
)n.1. A word or pronunciation that distinguishes people of one group or class from those of another.
2. a. A word or phrase identified with a particular group or cause; a catchword.
b. A commonplace saying or idea.

So actually you are both right. It is a word, but it is considered slang. :)

Channahon

This quoted out of UPS's "Code of Business Conduct". Before Tie jumps in here and claims something like I hate the man and there is no mistreatment by mgt of employees (LOL), no I don't hate the man (although there are days when that is very difficult for me to say) and yes there is absolutely mistreatment by mgt. Some are very fortunate to have great mgt teams. It's to bad that not every center within this company has the same fortune

Let's not forget the mistreatment of management by hourly employees as well. Life at UPS is a two way street, we are all working for UPS by choice, so ideally, mutual respect for UPS and our customers should be our common goal, along with making a good living and providing for our families.

UPS Lifer

I have always felt that UPS has the right to set reasonable grooming and appearance standards. The problem starts when management singles out certain "favorite" people for enforcement of those rules, or comes up with a totally arbitrary and unfair definition of "reasonable."
I have a tattoo, but it is not visible unless I pull my shirt sleeve up. Its fine to have a no visible tat rule, but it is unfair to inform the driver of that rule 15 years after you hire him with the tattoo already in place. Some sort of grandfather clause is required here. For new hires, it is entirely reasonable to say no visible tats is a condition of employment and they can make their personal choices accordingly.
As far as piercings go---we have a reasonable rule here, which is that both men and women are allowed to have earrings only, one per ear, but those earrings cannot be large enough to pass a dime thru. No nose, lip or other visible piercings allowed. It is unfair to allow women but not men to have an earring, but it is a resonable and safe compromise to have a size limit on that ring.
As long as UPS is fair and consistent in their implemntation of an appearance policy, I am OK with it.

Soberups - You just don't get it. It is not YOUR definition of what is reasonable.... It is UPS's definition of what is reasonable. and guess what.... It is reasonable to allow women a slightly different standard when it comes to appearance guidelines!

A "Grandfather Clause" indicates entitlement - When it comes to appearance (barring religious and personal health) there is no entitlement.

Take this discussion back to the tattoo thread or another appearance thread.

Getting back to the part of playing favorites... Call management on it. Hold them accountable. Get your steward and HR rep and have the person explain why it is OK for Jane or Jim but not OK for you.