Explain to me the progression in pay

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Throwing a bumper on a car, and doing the job at the level of our veteran package car drivers is hardly an item to be compared. I mean, how much better can you learn how to screw one thing to another over time? On the other hand, a dedicated and long tenured package car driver is going to blow away some shmuck straight off the street. They deserve to be compensated accordingly. I just fail to follow your logic...regardless of your examples. Basically.....sucks to be steelworkers???

Thats a theory no where near based on reality.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No I'm not trolling at all. In the Steelworkers union, I would work alongside guys with 20 years seniority. If we were both doing the same job, we would get the same hourly wage and tonnage.I believe this is the same with the UAW. If you're putting bumpers on cars, doesn't matter if you've been doing it for 10 years or 10 months, that job pay grade is the same.

The UAW uses a four-year pay progression scale (and top rate still doesn't match the top rate of employees hired prior to the bankruptcy. Most other unionized companies also use pay progression scales... most airlines, for example, have ten-year progression scales. It's the norm, not the exception.

Not all that long ago pretty much all unions had a 30 day probationary period. After that was up you went to full scale. This is not the case anymore.