Express volume finally moving to Ground...

floridays

Mine was a 7. Needed the wheelbase for wheeling in Colorado and because I’m too big for a 5.
My grandaddy always owned a jeep, some of the best times I remember were spent in that jeep. I think my sister would agree. Goodtimes,
you still have one where you live or do you have to head west?

bbsam

Staff member
What kind do you have? I used to have an old CJ, but it became garage art and didn’t get driven much.
I have a 2000 TJ and a 1980 CJ with a 350 Chevy/th3550 shoved in it. The TJ I would drive anywhere. The CJ is an animal that is fun but the driving experience is pretty much on edge sometimes.

floridays

No more Jeeps in my house. Had 4, now zero. Still have AWD and a true 4wd with a real transfer case, but no Jeeps.
Goodtimes, still on 10th st@ 35th ave that was my question. or dol you have to head to the mountains, just guessin you like burgers.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
They did.

Yeah but.
Cite it, I'll give it a read.
I have been clear in how to get the designation reviewed, the ways I have offered would compel the courts to force a union vote, there is no other alternative if fedex prefers to maintain domestic service. The court has no other power, there is no bargaining unit to serve and compel their membership to return to work. That is simply a fact, the question would be who flinches first. re.

I'm not a party, it makes no difference to me. You are, and you do not do the work that puts food on your table, it's the reason you resist.
Sigh

Chicago Truck Drivers, Helpers, and Warehouse Workers Union vs NLRB 1978

Yawn

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Because in the pleading the designation would be the first claim.
I know alot more than you buddy.
Then why don't you make any sense?

"They have to defend their designation."
They have no control over their designation, it's conferred upon them by a government agency based upon criteria set forth in federal law. To have that designation you would have to sue the agency that conferred that designation upon them, which has already happened, and already failed.
"But DERP."

Awfully nice of you (and others) to bring up these things that have already shot down as if they are new.

floridays

That is n
Sigh

Chicago Truck Drivers, Helpers, and Warehouse Workers Union vs NLRB 1978

Yawn

Chicago Truck Drivers, Helpers and Warehouse Workers Union(independent), Plaintiff-appellant, v. National Mediation Board, Defendant-appellee, 670 friend.2d 665 (7th Cir. 1982)​

A real citation.

Part of the reasoning,
To be sure, this holding gives considerable latitude to the NMB and NLRB to divide their respective jurisdictions-at least in the abstract-prior to initiation of their statutory processes. When jurisdiction is given to the NMB, unless the jurisdictional division runs afoul of a clear and specific statutory directive, local unions unable to represent an employer's whole craft or class of employees will be without judicial review. Although this result may seem harsh, it comports with the recent Supreme Court decision of Federal Election Commission v. Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, --- U.S. ----, ----, 102 S. Ct. 38, 46, 70 L. Ed. 2d ---- defining the deference to be given to the Federal Election Commission's construction of its enabling statute:

To be certain, no airline designation has ever been upheld to place fedex drivers under the airline umbrella, it was simply a ruling and then this apellant challenge. These facts heard by the District Court and the 7th Circuit would not be those offered if what I have pushed for were [presented.

I have offered two separate employee actions, the first, not to report for work on dayside or nightside, their choice to force fedex to hear the concerns, those concerns would be addressed before the fleet blocked.

Secondly,
This week I mentioned an idea of all Western District drivers not appearing for work, this forces Fedex hand in dealing with a labor dispute, a small incident in Chicago, 40+ years ago that essentially affirmed RLA 1926, amended twice. The facts have changed, the law is antiquated and deserves a challenge.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That is n

Chicago Truck Drivers, Helpers and Warehouse Workers Union(independent), Plaintiff-appellant, v. National Mediation Board, Defendant-appellee, 670 friend.2d 665 (7th Cir. 1982)​

A real citation.

Part of the reasoning,
To be sure, this holding gives considerable latitude to the NMB and NLRB to divide their respective jurisdictions-at least in the abstract-prior to initiation of their statutory processes. When jurisdiction is given to the NMB, unless the jurisdictional division runs afoul of a clear and specific statutory directive, local unions unable to represent an employer's whole craft or class of employees will be without judicial review. Although this result may seem harsh, it comports with the recent Supreme Court decision of Federal Election Commission v. Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, --- U.S. ----, ----, 102 S. Ct. 38, 46, 70 L. Ed. 2d ---- defining the deference to be given to the Federal Election Commission's construction of its enabling statute:

To be certain, no airline designation has ever been upheld to place fedex drivers under the airline umbrella, it was simply a ruling and then this apellant challenge. These facts heard by the District Court and the 7th Circuit would not be those offered if what I have pushed for were [presented.

I have offered two separate employee actions, the first, not to report for work on dayside or nightside, their choice to force fedex to hear the concerns, those concerns would be addressed before the fleet blocked.

Secondly,
This week I mentioned an idea of all Western District drivers not appearing for work, this forces Fedex hand in dealing with a labor dispute, a small incident in Chicago, 40+ years ago that essentially affirmed RLA 1926, amended twice. The facts have changed, the law is antiquated and deserves a challenge.
FedEx posts the 1934 version of the RLA in all locations. They also (illegally) restrict access to union materials because distribution of such is a ticket out the door, even if it's done on break time. Express locations also severely limit who can come onto the property, even when it's something "non-union" like the State Police discussing driver safety or charitable organizations. By keeping everyone out, nobody can say they're unfairly targeting The Teamsters, when that is exactly what they are doing. They don't want a Business Agent telling you the truth about how much better the pay, benefits, and pension are, or that dues are reasonable and even cheap considering what you get in return. How about Weingarten Rights? I'll bet 80% of Express employees don't even know what I'm talking about. They give your job some actual security, of which you currently have zero.

When we held our pro-union meetings off-premises during the mid-1990s, FedEx management would always show up and be promptly thrown out. Their biggest concern was that we would be able to orchestrate a Purple Flu or walkout, especially among CTV drivers. It is extremely difficult to convince employees that the only way to really get management's attention is to disrupt the operation. Imagine what would happen if ALL the CTV drivers called-in, or decided to take their lunch at 0600 or other steps designed to screw it all up.

A courier walkout would be even better, but getting the numbers isn't as easy as an RTD that controls 5 positions of freight. Belt slowdowns, walking off the belt and Purple Flu would also be useful.

Here's the truth, and that it is meaningless to discuss improved pay and working conditions with Express UPPER management until you have some leverage on them. Shut down a big market for a few days and see what happens. Plus, on the East Coast, you can mess with them on TWO shifts and give them the double fist.

No pain, no gain.

floridays

FedEx posts the 1934 version of the RLA in all locations. They also (illegally) restrict access to union materials because distribution of such is a ticket out the door, even if it's done on break time. Express locations also severely limit who can come onto the property, even when it's something "non-union" like the State Police discussing driver safety or charitable organizations. By keeping everyone out, nobody can say they're unfairly targeting The Teamsters, when that is exactly what they are doing. They don't want a Business Agent telling you the truth about how much better the pay, benefits, and pension are, or that dues are reasonable and even cheap considering what you get in return. How about Weingarten Rights? I'll bet 80% of Express employees don't even know what I'm talking about. They give your job some actual security, of which you currently have zero.

When we held our pro-union meetings off-premises during the mid-1990s, FedEx management would always show up and be promptly thrown out. Their biggest concern was that we would be able to orchestrate a Purple Flu or walkout, especially among CTV drivers. It is extremely difficult to convince employees that the only way to really get management's attention is to disrupt the operation. Imagine what would happen if ALL the CTV drivers called-in, or decided to take their lunch at 0600 or other steps designed to screw it all up.

A courier walkout would be even better, but getting the numbers isn't as easy as an RTD that controls 5 positions of freight. Belt slowdowns, walking off the belt and Purple Flu would also be useful.

Here's the truth, and that it is meaningless to discuss improved pay and working conditions with Express UPPER management until you have some leverage on them. Shut down a big market for a few days and see what happens. Plus, on the East Coast, you can mess with them on TWO shifts and give them the double fist.

No pain, no gain.
I agree in part, I'm not a party to your earlier organizing efforts, therefore I cannot agree in full.

I will agree a two by four is needed to get their attention if there is any chance for representation, air operations included, will take a unified effort,

Force the issue, they cannot fire all that refuse to report, it's just my opinion, and that is all a court renders, an opinion.

I'll add, no court or labor dispute board can force employees to report, there is no contract to enforce or agent to serve.

New facts need to be argued to an antiquated statute.

That is my opinion.

My further opinion is Ground ops of AGFS and the ligitimate airline operation employees will never do this.

Last edited:

yadig

I agree in part, I'm not a party to your earlier organizing efforts, therefore I cannot agree in full.

I will agree a two by four is needed to get their attention if there is any chance for representation, air operations included, will take a unified effort,

Force the issue, they cannot fire all that refuse to report, it's just my opinion, and that is all a court renders, an opinion.

I'll add, no court or labor dispute board can force employees to report, there is no contract to enforce or agent to serve.

New facts need to be argued to an antiquated statute.

That is my opinion.

My further opinion is Ground ops of AGFS and the ligitimate airline operation employees will never do this.
Spot on

It will be fine

Well the investor meeting made it pretty clear the plan is to move the majority of day definite freight from Express to Ground. They are going to co-locate both services in most buildings to make the transfer even easier. Express will focus on time definite and international freight.

bbsam

Staff member
Well the investor meeting made it pretty clear the plan is to move the majority of day definite freight from Express to Ground. They are going to co-locate both services in most buildings to make the transfer even easier. Express will focus on time definite and international freight.
Gee. What could go wrong?

bacha29

Hello Teamsters !. If contractors think this will be their salvation and Raj thinks this will improve margins then to that I say....what are you basing it on? Well that's easy to see. They think that there's still enough unused cheap labor out there. The only thing I could see is by lining them all up in the same building Express PT's will be able to finish out a full week of hours by going over to the Ground side....for an even lower wage and even less hope for a benefit plan.

yadig

Should work out well for everyone!

bbsam

Staff member
Hello Teamsters !. If contractors think this will be their salvation and Raj thinks this will improve margins then to that I say....what are you basing it on? Well that's easy to see. They think that there's still enough unused cheap labor out there. The only thing I could see is by lining them all up in the same building Express PT's will be able to finish out a full week of hours by going over to the Ground side....for an even lower wage and even less hope for a benefit plan.
I don’t think there is a single contractor in the country that believes margins will improve before on time delivery drops substantially again. There aren’t enough drivers willing to do the work for what Ground pays. And do you know what contractors do in that case? We shrug our shoulders. There’s nothing left to do until FedEx revisits how they value contractors and their drivers.

Interestingly, when asked about contractor turnover, the company had absolutely nothing to say and that speaks volumes. The entire network is primed for failure and the only thing that stops that from happening, in my opinion, is far higher rates. Like immediately.

bbsam

Staff member
This sounds like a win for ground! I thought you’d be happy
Happy? Nah. Bemused. Seems like the company wants to double and triple down on everything that hasn’t worked so far. Oh, and we’ve been telling them it’s horribly broken for months now. So when it all starts falling apart, we kinda just shrug and go on about our days.

bacha29

I don’t think there is a single contractor in the country that believes margins will improve before on time delivery drops substantially again. There aren’t enough drivers willing to do the work for what Ground pays. And do you know what contractors do in that case? We shrug our shoulders. There’s nothing left to do until FedEx revisits how they value contractors and their drivers.

Interestingly, when asked about contractor turnover, the company had absolutely nothing to say and that speaks volumes. The entire network is primed for failure and the only thing that stops that from happening, in my opinion, is far higher rates. Like immediately.
That has to be the only outcome. Contractors simply allow the network to collapse. Only a complete collapse of the network will actually get Raj, Fat Freddy , his holding company and the institutional investors who together have controlling interest attention. Little insurrections here and there won't do. When entire regions of the country grind to a halt and their means of responding are totally ineffective then that might bring about change. Contractors are not going to be any better off. They're simply going to be exposed to even greater risks with little to nothing additional to show for it.

As for what Raj will be doing in the meantime? What he's always done. Out there grinning like a possum to the media while pumping the company stock price.