Extended center seniority question?

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I am about to transfer to this extended center as a preloader. I have a question. Do the people in the main center of the extended center have seniority in the extended seniority? Can they bid on full time positions whenever there is a vacancy in the extended center? Say I have 5 yrs of seniority in an extended center, and a guy has 6 yrs of seniority in the main center of the extended I work in, and there is an open position for a driving position, and we both bid on it, who will get the job?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
14926.jpg
14926.jpg

P

pickup

I am about to transfer to this extended center as a preloader. I have a question. Do the people in the main center of the extended center have seniority in the extended seniority? Can they bid on full time positions whenever there is a vacancy in the extended center? Say I have 5 yrs of seniority in an extended center, and a guy has 6 yrs of seniority in the main center of the extended I work in, and there is an open position for a driving position, and we both bid on it, who will get the job?

No one cares to answer because no one cares to help you. I thought trolls couldn't start threads.

Overpaid Union Thug

i did. :)

What is an extender center?

An extended center is a small hub that is considered an extension of an actual hub. They are usually located in suburban or rural areas outside of cities or towns that have large hubs. They are fed packages from the hubs and most of the packages that are picked up by the drivers in the extended centers are fed into the hubs they are extended from. The best way to understand it is to look at a map of the U.S.. If you assume that each major city has a hub then imagine having a bunch of extended centers that fill in the vast areas between the hubs. For that is their purpose. In my district an extended center has it's own separate seniority list and hourly employees can't bid into jobs in the hubs and vice versa. I've heard that in other areas that can be done though. It is possible to transfer from one to the other but you go to the bottom of the seniority list. That means people with less company seniority have more building seniority than those that transferred there.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Must be a regional thing. There are multiple facilities in my area, ranging from a very small rural building (handful of drivers who load & unload their own package car) to mulicenter buildings with nearly 350 drivers. You hire into each building separately, and can only sign the FT bids within the building (you may transfer within the union local, but seniority is endtailed). But even the smallest building receives trailers from the regional hubs. In fact, they ship trailers from Ontario, CA to even our medium-sized buildings (50-120 drivers) select days during (over 2K miles as the crow flies) peak season when those crappy wine baskets that require signatures dominate holiday wish lists. One building is designated as the local hub - that is the smaller buildings send it trailers (or vans if they're small) consisting of packages being shipped within the area; they're then sorted and the process is reversed.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
i did. :)

An extended center is a small hub that is considered an extension of an actual hub. They are usually located in suburban or rural areas outside of cities or towns that have large hubs. They are fed packages from the hubs and most of the packages that are picked up by the drivers in the extended centers are fed into the hubs they are extended from. The best way to understand it is to look at a map of the U.S.. If you assume that each major city has a hub then imagine having a bunch of extended centers that fill in the vast areas between the hubs. For that is their purpose. In my district an extended center has it's own separate seniority list and hourly employees can't bid into jobs in the hubs and vice versa. I've heard that in other areas that can be done though. It is possible to transfer from one to the other but you go to the bottom of the seniority list. That means people with less company seniority have more building seniority than those that transferred there.

Thanks.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Interesting how terminology differs around the country. We call small buildings such as these "centers", rather than hubs in my area. These centers might have more than a few centers in them, each with its own seniority list.

Overpaid Union Thug

Interesting how terminology differs around the country. We call small buildings such as these "centers", rather than hubs in my area. These centers might have more than a few centers in them, each with its own seniority list.

We call our extended center a "center" but I've worked in a hub before and it had three centers in it.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We call our extended center a "center" but I've worked in a hub before and it had three centers in it.

I work in a building that's not a hub that has three (previously four) centers in it. Our hub only has two IIRC. One of our medium-sized buildings also has two centers in it, although each has half the number of drivers compared to the hub. Hence my confusion over the "extended" term.

Overpaid Union Thug

I work in a building that's not a hub that has three (previously four) centers in it. Our hub only has two IIRC. One of our medium-sized buildings also has two centers in it, although each has half the number of drivers compared to the hub. Hence my confusion over the "extended" term.

We have a few of those in my area. But they are considered extended centers because they are serviced by the nearby hub. Plus, the big whigs are all located in the hub.