FAA Reautho Bill Passes

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Most everything in the bill passed except for the RLA courier section.

The Bill passed in the Senate 93 to 0, with 7 members abstaining. The real battle will be in conference in the House, where the language concerning the RLA can be re-inserted.

pretzel_man

The house and senate bills are different. They will be reconciled in committee. This was expected many months ago.

The committee will decide if the RLA change is there or not.

brett636

I recently spoke with a local fedex employee, and this topic came up. I was told by said fedex employee that this bill was going to force fedex to go all union, but I explained to him how it actually worked. Either he didn't understand it or this was the result of the fedex propaganda machine at work.Lets hope that language gets reinserted.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I recently spoke with a local fedex employee, and this topic came up. I was told by said fedex employee that this bill was going to force fedex to go all union, but I explained to him how it actually worked. Either he didn't understand it or this was the result of the fedex propaganda machine at work.Lets hope that language gets reinserted.

Probably both. The propaganda machine is very effective, and many employees don't understand the difference between an RLA classification and the NLRA. FedEx tells everyone that they're free to unionize now, which would be impossible under the RLA. Unfortunately, a lot of employees swallow this crap. Because we cannot post any information or discuss unions wihout fear of termination, the ignorance remains widespread.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well one group @ FDX is unionized, the most powerful workgroup there.

That's true. The pilots have been ALPA for years now, and FedEx somehow managed to stay in business. The pilots learned that they couldn't trust Smith and were smart enough to put him in his place. If they hadn't, they would make the same wages as Southwest pilots, which are way less than FedEx. I have a friend who is a SWA FO, and he makes peanuts. I'm sure Fred would have liked our crews to be in the same situation.

Mike57

I believe the only reason for the pilots being union is that it was part of the deal when Fed-X bought what was left of Flying Tigers.
I could be wrong.

airbusfxr

They have always been union, the FT purchase caused intergration of seniority. Dovetailing of seniority is always the thing that happens but it should be paste the bought company on the bottom, but that DAMN RLA of 1929 suggests dovetailing. What a crock this RLA of 1929. When UPSCO was formed we had a big issue with seniority and as we all know it is the only thing you have at UPS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I believe the only reason for the pilots being union is that it was part of the deal when Fed-X bought what was left of Flying Tigers.
I could be wrong.

No. Flying Tigers crew were union and forced to de-certify in the 1989 merger.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They have always been union, the FT purchase caused intergration of seniority. Dovetailing of seniority is always the thing that happens but it should be paste the bought company on the bottom, but that DAMN RLA of 1929 suggests dovetailing. What a crock this RLA of 1929. When UPSCO was formed we had a big issue with seniority and as we all know it is the only thing you have at UPS.

No. Flying Tigers pilots were union prior to the merger and had to de-certify just like everyone else at Tigers. In 1989, nobody at FedEx was unionized. The only ones that didn't were the flight attendants, and Smith got rid of them quickly. The seniority issues went on for along time, and eventually the lists were figured out. FedEx pilots formed a short-lived in house union and once they found out it was worthless, they went ALPA. Where do you get your "facts"?