Family, Friends Mourn UPS Driver

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Family, Friends Mourn UPS Driver - KSAT

Family and friends are mourning a United Parcel Service driver who was killed in a fiery crash that killed two Friday night in Kendall County.

David Guzman, a father of two, was on his way home to see his children when the crash happened near Comfort.

Guzman was on his way home from work Friday night in his UPS truck when he was hit head-on by a Dodge Durango driven by 75-year-old Robert Valeraz.

InTheRed

Hurry or not to get home, that's horrible. I can't imagine cars exploding from a head on collision, but apparently so. Just horrible.

JULAKA

He wasn't hurrying. He was just going from Kerrville to San Antonio after picking up his trailer full of our pickups. He was struck by the Durango, head on, at full speed. He apparantly tried to swerve at the last instant and exposed his fuel tank to the impact. There was an explosion and the precussion from the blast knocked out power in the nearby town of Comfort. The UPS driver never had a chance. All the pickups in the trailer burned. The sad, ironic thing about this is that the driver, David, was covering for my co-worker who had the day off. It wasn't his regular run, but he had done it before. He was driving completly safe and there was nothing that he could have done differently to save his life. It really shook us all up and makes you realize that we really do put our lives in danger when we driver for a living. You never know what the other driver might do.

Texasvet82

He wasn't hurrying. He was just going from Kerrville to San Antonio after picking up his trailer full of our pickups. He was struck by the Durango, head on, at full speed. He apparantly tried to swerve at the last instant and exposed his fuel tank to the impact. There was an explosion and the precussion from the blast knocked out power in the nearby town of Comfort. The UPS driver never had a chance. All the pickups in the trailer burned. The sad, ironic thing about this is that the driver, David, was covering for my co-worker who had the day off. It wasn't his regular run, but he had done it before. He was driving completly safe and there was nothing that he could have done differently to save his life. It really shook us all up and makes you realize that we really do put our lives in danger when we driver for a living. You never know what the other driver might do.
I am his nephew and never heard this story... I knew most of the details, I guess just not in this detail. I know my Uncle and he was always a safe and cautious driver. He was a great man, full of life and humor, honestly, one of the best family members I ever had, it was a sad day when he passed.