Feeder Driver Production Harassment

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
In our building, management is putting a full-court press on us regarding production.I work in a very large hub between the West Coast and the East Coast. Over 300 fdr drivers here. I know this is coming from a few layers of management above our manager. I was just wondering if any other feeder drivers out there are feeling this too.

In our building, management is putting a full-court press on us regarding production.I work in a very large hub between the West Coast and the East Coast. Over 300 fdr drivers here. I know this is coming from a few layers of management above our manager. I was just wondering if any other feeder drivers out there are feeling this too.
It has come and gone already there is only so much blood you can squeeze from a rock.

bluehdmc

It's starting here, especially with the new IVIS. I was told the supervisors have to do 3 "virtual" OJS's a week. With the GPS etc they know if you are in the front of a building or the back. Questions like, "Why did you stop in the rest area?" (Potty break?)

Turnaround times, start work/finish work times, turn around times, ad nauseum. In my hub if you have to go search for your tractor it could take 5 to 10 mins walking around the parking lot. Then if your trailer is really on the spot it's supposed to be.....buy a lottery ticket!

Wait till the cameras come in. I'm sure the reasoning is going to be, "To prove our drivers weren't distracted when that car suddenly cut them off and slammed on the brakes."
The reality is gonna be so they can spy and micro manage us more, "You didn't have both hands on the wheel.", "You were talking on your bluetooth, tuning the radio, sipping coffee."

They better get used to my middle finger, I've developed a tic, where it just pops up on regular basis.

p228

On time departures is huge now. If a feeder is wrapped early and the driver pulls it late he has to answer for it or be written up for stealing time.

Dracula

There are no "small" accidents in feeders.

Safety.... is the key.

-Bug-

Safety is the key, yes. That's all we ever hear about, yet they hammer us about on-property times, start work times, finish works times, etc. It's always kind of been bad, but now it's just getting worse. The problem is that their tactic is effective to so many drivers. It's the package car driver mentality. "Just get them off my back." Same as PC, the allowances are complete crap. My sup was telling me that with my pre-trip on my tractor, hooking up to a single, I should have been out of the gate in 19 minutes. I told him I was rushing safety, to which he replied, "I didn't say that." Yes, you did, is what I told him, because, he was.....

Dracula

It's starting here, especially with the new IVIS. I was told the supervisors have to do 3 "virtual" OJS's a week. With the GPS etc they know if you are in the front of a building or the back. Questions like, "Why did you stop in the rest area?" (Potty break?)

Turnaround times, start work/finish work times, turn around times, ad nauseum. In my hub if you have to go search for your tractor it could take 5 to 10 mins walking around the parking lot. Then if your trailer is really on the spot it's supposed to be.....buy a lottery ticket!

Wait till the cameras come in. I'm sure the reasoning is going to be, "To prove our drivers weren't distracted when that car suddenly cut them off and slammed on the brakes."
The reality is gonna be so they can spy and micro manage us more, "You didn't have both hands on the wheel.", "You were talking on your bluetooth, tuning the radio, sipping coffee."

They better get used to my middle finger, I've developed a tic, where it just pops up on regular basis.

We have cameras. They watch us fueling and washing, making sure we aren't talking to other drivers...But we know the cameras are there, so it's not a big deal...

rod

Retired 22 years
Spend a week or two in package and then post what you think about feeder "production harrassment". I doubt if the two are even comparable.

BrownArmy

Spend a week or two in package and then post what you think about feeder "production harrassment". I doubt if the two are even comparable.

My guess is production-harassment in feeders is exactly like it is in package...

Except in feeders you only have two stops (or whatever, I don't know much about the BIG trucks).

But in feeders, every individual moment is probably much more scrutinized than in package.

If I have a ten-minute 'nothing-happening' portion of my day in package, I just relate the truth: I was peeing and then washing my hands/ I was stopping to refill my water/ I was sorting my 'load' to find mis-loads, and after that I was setting up my 30-ft selection area/ etc, etc.

In feeders, I imagine the production focus is way more micro.

For example, if my center manager asked me why it took me 90 seconds to do X, I'm not sure I'd even answer (I'd cock my head slightly like a dog, furrow my eyebrows, and let the ridiculousness of the situation set in...)

rocket man

full court letter of corcerns on harrasment and full court grievances seem to be the answer

Butters243

You are definitely not alone on this. Too much idle time, off the feeder path, excessive TA time, hard sudden brakeing, time it takes to stop and urinate, and time your truck sits ... all shows up on reports and then drivers are harrassed about it the next day.

bluehdmc

We have cameras. They watch us fueling and washing, making sure we aren't talking to other drivers...But we know the cameras are there, so it's not a big deal...

We've had cameras in the yard, on fuel pumps, gate, wash bay, building corners, etc. The ones in the Meadowlands can zoom in and get the trailer #.

What I was talking about is the proposed cameras in the tractors. One in the grill or something facing forward and one in the cab focused on the driver. That's the one I may develop the middle finger nervous tic over.