Feeder School-Lack of Training (Keep on Topic)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wow. Let me guess. Your a supervisor. Considering you were not there and that most Class A training is more then 20 hours, panic was not the issue. I think my trainer was lacking patience, more concerned with paperwork. So if that is blaming the company, you got it right.
Yeah sounds like you’re not ready for the responsibility of a big rig.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
That is correct. It was Thursday and the test was Friday and I knew I could not pass the pre trip part so yes I did. After the fact , I was told that I should have had way more hours behind the wheel as well as more hours in general. Frustrated. Yes. One of those life experiences I guess. Thanks for responding.
No amount of hours “behind the wheel” is going to teach you how to do a pretrip. You should have had it down backwards and forwards before you even started training. That’s on you no matter how much you want to blame UPS. I signed the list for feeders and watched UPS pretrip videos every single day for hours until I got called for class and I probably knew it better than my trainer. That’s what it takes, initiative. They aren’t going to hold your hand.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They aren’t going to hold your hand.

Absolutely.

It's either sink or swim.

Any company (UPS) probably identifies an applicants ability in the first few days.

The UPS training can vary from the State test.

I got dinged, for not saying (on the pre-trip) that the compressor was "shaft or belt driven".

The OP never stated if he/she ever had any driving experience with UPS.

-Bug-

over9five

Staff member
The UPS training is very, VERY basic. Very few people passed the state test the first time, most took 3 tries.
I think the big truck scared you, probably wise of you to quit.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Wow. Let me guess. Your a supervisor. Considering you were not there and that most Class A training is more then 20 hours, panic was not the issue. I think my trainer was lacking patience, more concerned with paperwork. So if that is blaming the company, you got it right.
Nah, retired feeder driver. First you blame the company for "not giving you enough time behind the wheel", then you admit that you panicked and quit because you didn't think you could even pretrip a tractor and one trailer in 45 minutes. And that's with having at least 6 months to practice. Clearly the company is at fault here.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The UPS training is very, VERY basic. Very few people passed the state test the first time, most took 3 tries.
I think the big truck scared you, probably wise of you to quit.
Took me a couple tries, I had never driven any kind of combination vehicle before going to feeder school.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I got my training at the teamsters local 25 school in East Boston ,, we had a retired no Shiet old timer teach us , there wasn't a thing he didn't know , when you backed up and wasn't good enough , he'd make you do it over & over , no arguments with him , was like a marine drill instructor,, we had a student hit a cone the first day ,, instructor picked it up and threw it at him ,, " that's not a cone , that's my granddaughter" that sunk in well with me !!!! He was the best ,,

ManInBrown

Hey Everyone,
Just wondering if someone can answer this for me. I went through feeder school and did not take the state test, because I felt I was not ready. Here is the problem. In the week I was training, I had a total of about 9 hours behind the wheel, about 4hours with pre-trip and about 2 hours in backing. The rest of the time my trainer felt that there were more important things to do, like his own tasks, paperwork I HAD to fill out. Am I wrong to think that I did not get adequately trained in feeders? I get it, there is a lot of information to process, but feeder drivers I spoke to said most of them had 45-50 hours training and I had about 30.
Just looking for thoughts on this.
Thanks
Feeder schools are really hit and miss. Some locals as has been posted on here do the training right at UPS. They don’t send drivers to an outside school. Here we are sent to an outside school. We had one school that UPS stopped using because everyone was failing when they went to DMV to take the test. I went to the other school. It was one week 8 hours per day. It was not good training. It was a lot of nonsense. Pre trip, post trip, and not a lot of driving. In a way I hate to say it, but you have to really get lucky to pass the test at DMV. It’s not easy. It took me two times before I passed. I know guys that gave up. Still in package. They couldn’t pass the test at DMV. Whether it be pre trip, or driving they just couldn’t do it. There’s a decent amount of luck involved to get your CDL.

Another thing is, here UPS pays for the school obviously. But you only get two cracks at DMV too pass. You go the first time, if you fail you go back to the school for one day training. They take you back again, if you fail again, any additional training and the fee for the school to bring their tractor to DMV for you to use, is out of your pocket. And if you tap out and give up, you have to pay UPS back the $2500 they spent for the school. So there’s a lot of pressure also.

DRporch

My area is 7 days on road. 8th day you road test: 2 days for 45/53 training.

maybe I’m a natural but I could have passed that test on my 3rd day. However with that said all that paperwork I did have to do to but I spent prob 6+hrs a day in the truck or doing pre trips. Pre trips are extremely fast. If you know it you know it. If you don’t then you’ll fail

SaladTosser

Kill me now
I came into feeder school not knowing anything. Never been inside a tractor before. I used all the YouTube videos and studying apps and passed the first try. The pre trip is hard for everyone the first time. My trainer just wanted to see that I was improving. Everyone says just keep trying and don’t give up, it’s worth it.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
My grampah started his own trucking company in 1918 , raised 10 kids on it , my five uncles ran it till 1986 , so I was raised around trucks , learned how to drive at 14 on a 51 B model Mack , so learning to drive a feeder came a bit easier to me

Johney

That’s what I was told by my trainer.
Maybe they give you 45 minutes when testing it doesn't take that long.
Pretty sure that is for a set of doubles.
Ah no in UPS world you are allowed 29 minutes to build and pretrip a set. Id be surprised if any state test's would require you to test with a set of doubles.
I just remembered when I did the pre trip and was timed, he told me 45 minutes for state test
I'm sure he meant they allow you that time to complete it. No employer is going to pay you on the job 45 minutes to do a pretrip daily, especially UPS.
Go on Youtube there are 100's of videos on pretrips and if I remember none of them lasted 45 minutes.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Maybe they give you 45 minutes when testing it doesn't take that long.

Ah no in UPS world you are allowed 29 minutes to build and pretrip a set. Id be surprised if any state test's would require you to test with a set of doubles.

I'm sure he meant they allow you that time to complete it. No employer is going to pay you on the job 45 minutes to do a pretrip daily, especially UPS.
Go on Youtube there are 100's of videos on pretrips and if I remember none of them lasted 45 minutes.
It's the same here, at DMV they give you at least 45 minutes for the pretrip. It's actually kinda nice because you don't feel rushed at all, you can take your time and make sure you don't miss anything. I think UPS gives you like 20 minutes to pretrip a tractor and a single trailer.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I came into feeder school not knowing anything. Never been inside a tractor before. I used all the YouTube videos and studying apps and passed the first try. The pre trip is hard for everyone the first time. My trainer just wanted to see that I was improving. Everyone says just keep trying and don’t give up, it’s worth it.

see even a @SaladTosser can do it