Feeders finally

trouble maker

Just finished my first full week on feeders after 22 years on package, 25 in altogether. If you get the chance to do it, don't hesitate. It's really a nice welcomed change.

trickpony1

Congrats from someone who has been in feeders since '81.
The best thing you can do is get the "jackrabbit" mentality out of your mind now.
The equipment is too big and wiggles in too many places to whip through traffic like you did in your pkg car.
Be careful....you've still got 3 more weeks of probation.
Don't hit anything and don't be a hero.

diesel96

Just finished my first full week on feeders after 22 years on package, 25 in altogether. If you get the chance to do it, don't hesitate. It's really a nice welcomed change.

:congrats:It's like working for a different company....more emphasis on safety than a operation report.....Although my first year I went back and forth from Feeders to Packages quite often.....Hopefully your center will have lots of retirements if this economy allows them to...

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Congrats! I am three years into feeders myself and definitely think it is the best career move one can make at UPS. Even though I feel they are trying to make feeders into the ridiculous numbers game that package is, feeders is still the place to be. Don't let management bully you into cutting corners to do the job faster. Pre-trip, post-trip, use yard control procedures, etc. This equipment is just too dangerous to cut corners just so you can meet some arbitrary number and be out the gate 5 or 10 minutes sooner.

over9five

Staff member
Congrats! You really have to work hard to lose that 22 year Package mentality. You will not be safe as long as you have it.

A

anonymous6

The best thing you can do is get the "jackrabbit" mentality out of your mind now.
The equipment is too big and wiggles in too many places to whip through traffic like you did in your pkg car.

I agree 1000% . UPS Feeder Drivers are the real "Kings of the Road" It's a totally different mindset. Ask other truckers. They'll tell you. We are looked up to.

I'm totally proud to be a UPS feeder driver.

Welcome to the Top Of The Line.

P

pickup

Well said! You'll probably sweat a bit as that trailer you're backing in doesn't always go the way you'll want it to go but you'll get better with time. Congratulations!

diesel96

I agree 1000% . UPS Feeder Drivers are the real "Kings of the Road" It's a totally different mindset. Ask other truckers. They'll tell you. We are looked up to.

I'm totally proud to be a UPS feeder driver.

Welcome to the Top Of The Line.

I would agree, however there are some truckers out there that think we drive to slow......and of course my rebuttal is "Hey, we get paid by the hour, not the load Buddy", not to mention the money we save the company on fuel costs...

trouble maker

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement people. I know I have to get the package mentality out of my head. I hated package for the last 8 to 10 years. I was always one to go out everyday and give them an honest days work. Sometimes they would take advantage of that. When I started on package 22 years ago, the young drivers bore the brunt of the work. That was fine, but there comes a time when the younger drivers now have to step up to the plate. My center manager told me one day a couple of years ago that these rookies, or run and gunners can't do the same job as the veteran drivers. So instead of making them learn how to work using the proper methods and proper drs' they just give it to the veteran drivers which is BS. I'm glad I finally had enough seniority to get the **** out! Thanks again for all the advice, I want to be a fat lazy feeder driver. LOL.:happy-very:

congrats man,, just remember you may not have a second chance, so dont make a happ hazard decision, not trying to scare ya, but if you pretrip, posttrip each time with the mindset that your going to be the one behinde that wheel for the next 10-12 hrs and you have a family waiting for you at home, youll do much better, and 1 last thing my dad told me after he retired.... keep the wheels between the ditches,,,,,and that lil thang in your britches, that will keep ya safe in 2 ways at home and on road.lol

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Welcome to the Brotherhood. One of the best moves I made was getting into feeders 10 years ago. Stay safe, follow pretrip and posttrip inspections, and keep that space cushion- I needed every last bit on my space cushion Friday night in Atlanta.:anxious:

The easiest truck driving job I've ever had trust me you will be fine,I did not come from package cars I was hired off the street. I was a former Consolidated Freightways driver and I used to haul steel for my father running
what we call "Michigan Trains",the loads are light and don't let them pressure you into anything take your time.A piece of advice if you feel you did not check something go back and check it until you are satisfied.