Feeders getting rid of pups for 40 footers???

Southwestern

We unload 53's all the time without power unloaders. All we have are rollers.

I'm surprised. Most of our unload doors have extendos that go about 35' -- after that, a 6' roller is attached to the extendo (although some doors use good ole' fashion t-stands) and the final 9' is hoofed out. Most 53s take 2-2.5 hours to unload - some less, some more. It must take well over 3 hours using just t-stands...

Southwestern

A 53' in less than an hour? Using how many unloaders? :) I just unloaded one myself today (by myself) that held 2,500 packages & slightly less than 100 bags... it took me just over 2 hours, and I was sweating!

UPS has 28', 45', 48' and 53' trailers. I think a lot of people confuse the 45' with the 53'.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Not to mention that the Company seems to have forgotten how to order a twin screw tractor. Keep loading those LC's heavy Cach! A few more overweight tickets should solve the problem. I urge everyone to contract their local Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer and notify them of the problem. It's easy to go over 20,000lbs on the front axle on a single screw. Overweight axles affect breaking and tear up the roads more (wasting your tax dollars).

Another reason why we suffer for having an accountant for a a CEO.

Try having an Automotive District Mngr that has never been a mechanic, and is an accountant.

menotyou

bella amicizia
A 53' in less than an hour? Using how many unloaders? :) I just unloaded one myself today (by myself) that held 2,500 packages & slightly less than 100 bags... it took me just over 2 hours, and I was sweating!

UPS has 28', 45', 48' and 53' trailers. I think a lot of people confuse the 45' with the 53'.
Confuse them all you want. I don't care if it 84 ft or 24ft, it a minute a foot.
Does that math equal a 45 footer taking an hour? If you are slow, it does.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

For the general public, it easy to confuse 45's and 48's with 53's.

P

pickup

All 53's "SHOULD" have a big 53 on the side of the trailer. This is to warn the driver of the extra length.

I think there are laws that require that "53" designation on the side of 53 feet trailers. Massachusetts requires it for example . I am glad of such laws as I can use that "53" sticker as a way to know what I am dealing with.

Another interesting aspect of the increasing use of 53s by Ups is the "bridge" laws that apply to 53 foot trailers. Has nothing to do with bridges but deals with how far the tandems (real wheels and yes they can be moved forwards and backwards) have to be in relation to the the kingpin, (while still having the weights legal).

For the most part , the bridge laws do not apply to trailers less than 53 feet , so if you are pulling an FSTZ box on the highway, big deal. If you are now pulling a 53 footer more often than before, the chances of having a D.O.T. officer explain the law to you are also increasing.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think there are laws that require that "53" designation on the side of 53 feet trailers. Massachusetts requires it for example . I am glad of such laws as I can use that "53" sticker as a way to know what I am dealing with.

Another interesting aspect of the increasing use of 53s by Ups is the "bridge" laws that apply to 53 foot trailers. Has nothing to do with bridges but deals with how far the tandems (real wheels and yes they can be moved forwards and backwards) have to be in relation to the the kingpin, (while still having the weights legal).

For the most part , the bridge laws do not apply to trailers less than 53 feet , so if you are pulling an FSTZ box on the highway, big deal. If you are now pulling a 53 footer more often than before, the chances of having a D.O.T. officer explain the law to you are also increasing.
Which means, for those of you that don't understand, a driver can change the axle (steer, drive or trailer) weights by adjusting the position of the trailer axles.