Fired...

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Firing people is just a hobby for some managers. Donald Trump is better at it but both UPS and the Donald do it for the same reason--------------- entertainment value. Unless your "relative" was actually stealing, drunk on the job or was messing around with the bosses wife the chances are good he will return.

You may be right, but its a two way street. Everyone I've seen get fired either did something really stupid or repeatedly created problems, often for entrainment value.

Even if being fired is done for entrainment value, you have to be one of the worst. No manager fires their best people for fun.

The questions is - what makes the person fired the worst in the eyes of the manager? It could be worst production, worst attitude, worst behavior, or it could just be he's getting you back for something you did earlier. For some reason he thinks your the worst and he'd rather replace you than deal with you.

Puck

Man,Myth...Legend....
I am sure people would love to try to help you BUT without first hand knowledge of how UPS works or how the disciplinary procedure works.. there is not much that we can do... Direct your " relative " here for clear answers if he has questions...

Integrity

Binge Poster
True story
I know a guy in our center who was fired for dishonesty. Long story short they tried to say he was dishonest as he didn't make 9.5 by 2 minutes. He told the sup the night before that he wasn't sure if he was going to make 9.5. The sup watched him like a hawk at the pumps as he waited his turn to fill up. Sup the next day told center manager that he could have made it but he was "purposely and willfully taking his time" and the center manager fired him on the spot quoting "stealing time and dishonesty". What was even better is the employee scratched that day also. Needless to say, the employee got back pay and a formal letter from UPS stating in short that nothing will be placed in his file and basically it never happened.

I know so people are like "whaaaa? There's gotta be more to that". I've known this guy for pretty much the entire time we've been at ups, it went down just lime I explained it. Your best defense against things like this is know your contract book, know your rights, and stand up for yourself when you are being treated unjustly. As far as people that get fired for doing stupid stuff, the only person that can help you is yourself. Spend some time one day and look at what you do and ask yourself, " if management didn't like me would anything I do on a daily basis give them ammo". If so, you need to change it and do it the right way.
Jackburton,

Employees should always seek to do the right thing, regardless of who may be watching.

Sincerely,
I

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Jackburton,

Employees should always seek to do the right thing, regardless of who may be watching.

Sincerely,
I

As he was, the only reason he got fired was because the sup "felt"'he can somehow gas faster. Being a friend of mine, I know he wouldn't do anything that violated the contract or UPS policy. If anything, he adheres to it like his job depends on it, because he knows it does.

Thought that I would also mention, much like myself, he has never received a warning letter before this incident or after.