Fit for Duty?

genna peterson

This part timer. Is a burn victim. He has gone thru hell. Trying g not to get addicted to pain killers. And just relieving pain. Irs like pins in your wound

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
This part timer. Is a burn victim. He has gone thru hell. Trying g not to get addicted to pain killers. And just relieving pain. Irs like pins in your wound

That sucks. But -- unfortunately -- the circumstances in a reasonable cause drug testing termination will never affect the outcome for the member. I'm not trying to start a debate about the War on Drugs and all of the details aren't available here (nor should they be), but firing someone for pissing dirty for pot is pretty regressive and obscene. Ten years from now, I think it will be treated in a similar fashion as drinking at work with blood testing being mandatory rather than at the request of the member.

The language under Article 35 is cut and dry. Additionally, I don't think it's ever going to be changed. It would be incredibly difficult for the union (no matter who is leading the talks) to justify additional contractual protections for people that use illegal drugs. As BUG has said, its the largest article in the NMA for a reason.

No one should be allowed to be under the influence at work. But the language shouldn't be as harsh on non-DOT employees (why a feeder driver that pisses dirty on a random is given a rehab opportunity and no other employee receives the same opportunity is beyond me -- PT'ers and Package Car Drivers both have to be tested for 'reasonable cause' that can easily be contrived).

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
There's also a possibility he was dirty, knew it and resigned because he thought that he couldn't pass the test(s). Not saying that his story has some holes, but his level of naivete seems quite questionable to me.