Forced to stay and work

rkid67

I work at a customer counter I was told by management and my union steward that I can be "forced" to stay and work if the person scheduled after me calls in sick. Does anybody know where I can find this in writing? By "forced" I know they mean "choose to work or deal with the consequences". Only way out of it is a medical emergency or doctor's appointment. Thanks.

blue efficacy

UPS has the right to cut you when they want you gone, no sooner, no later, provided that seniority is followed.

Look on the bright side, you get overtime after 5 hours right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He does bring up a good point--can UPS mandate overtime in situations other than operational emergencies? Would an employee calling in sick constitute an operational emergency? Shouldn't they have employees cross-trained so that they can cover absences in other areas so as not to force someone to stay beyond their shift?

UPSSOCKS

Working at a customer counter probably means there aren't many of you. If no one shows up to work someones got to do it. You must understand the teamster way, "cut your brothers throat, for your own personal gain" it's their new motto.... seriously... If you were inside the building staffing would be there to cover, but since your not the staffing isn't there to cover the void....