FXG, let the revolving door spin faster!

bacha29

Custom Critical is expediting. Believe it or not there was a lot of small loads of freight last year available that expediting companies competed for. I rarely had to wait more than a day except on weekends. Most weekdays delivered early in the morning, got some sleep, on my way to another shipment by 2 p.m. Multiply that by thousands nationwide. The virus most likely put a crimp on things but if factories are open most of what I did was factory to factory. From huge plants to small operations with a handful of employees. I doubt seriously that Custom Critical contractors are waiting a week at a time. Couldn't make your truck payment and eat doing that.
It's exactly what I'm saying. You live in that truck. It's your new home. And given that there's of plenty of carriers in the space fighting over expedited freight sooner or later there's not enough of it to go around and that's when the suffering begins and the waits become longer in a recession vulnerable business where cash flow is paramount. It just another component of an industry that promotes itself in a manner that cannot be more detached from it's reality .

vantexan

It's exactly what I'm saying. You live in that truck. It's your new home. And given that there's of plenty of carriers in the space fighting over expedited freight sooner or later there's not enough of it to go around and that's when the suffering begins and the waits become longer in a recession vulnerable business where cash flow is paramount. It just another component of an industry that promotes itself in a manner that cannot be more detached from it's reality .
Have you worked as an expeditor? There's plenty of small loads out there. Too big for overnight shipping, too small for a semi. I doubt many go into it not aware that they'll be on the road most of the time. It's not just a matter of someone being trapped in a horrendous situation. Most I met enjoyed the lifestyle. It's very different than being a trucker.

bacha29

Have you worked as an expeditor? There's plenty of small loads out there. Too big for overnight shipping, too small for a semi. I doubt many go into it not aware that they'll be on the road most of the time. It's not just a matter of someone being trapped in a horrendous situation. Most I met enjoyed the lifestyle. It's very different than being a trucker.
If it's so great why did you quit doing it?

vantexan

If it's so great why did you quit doing it?
Because I got exhausted. I never said it isn't demanding. The industry isn't regulated like trucking. For example picked up a load in Chicago on a Wednesday afternoon at 4:30 p.m., rush hour traffic. Had to be 1800 miles away in Phoenix Friday morning at 8 a.m. Drove through snow and ice in Missouri. Got about 6 hrs total sleep on trip. Do that enough and you're so drained you can hardly stand. And that's not the most extreme example I could give you. However if you love to drive, love seeing new places, it's a lot of fun too. When I started I could easily drive all night, deliver in the morning. Seven months later I was worn out. A younger person might do better.

bacha29

Because I got exhausted. I never said it isn't demanding. The industry isn't regulated like trucking. For example picked up a load in Chicago on a Wednesday afternoon at 4:30 p.m., rush hour traffic. Had to be 1800 miles away in Phoenix Friday morning at 8 a.m. Drove through snow and ice in Missouri. Got about 6 hrs total sleep on trip. Do that enough and you're so drained you can hardly stand. And that's not the most extreme example I could give you. However if you love to drive, love seeing new places, it's a lot of fun too. When I started I could easily drive all night, deliver in the morning. Seven months later I was worn out. A younger person might do better.
Exactly. All you're doing here is offering up a single example of the hellish life it is.

vantexan

Exactly. All you're doing here is offering up a single example of the hellish life it is.
Hellish is in the eye of the beholder. Run across Colorado, through Utah. Makes up for those NYC/Boston runs. Loved going through West Virginia every time.

So one BC from another van line says that drivers are a dime a dozen...

giphy.gif

Yet, we can't retain drivers for our 7 day operation because after a few days, they see that the compensation does not match the effort for some service areas that takes 40 minutes to an hour for the first stop from the building.

Sums it up for prospective FXG drivers to at least go with FXE or something else that pay hourly.

Sure doesn't help that I highlight some scams in the system like not being paid to sort/load , or drive to the first stop or dead head back to the terminal to unload your pickups and driver exceptions.

PS, if one has a cdl, divert them to linehaul & not waste time training them for package delivery. They'll quickly see that mistake & will move on faster anyways.

I'll stay to keep the line in check and performing rescues to those newer drivers, but I'll also remind them it's just a weekly paycheck.

When the nit picking gets to a point where I get FedUp, I'll also move on.

But now I'm getting paid more for doing less than my previous rural route, so it's just supplemental income for me

Yeah, some drivers like that independence once they're out on route, so they already know what they're into.

New faces monthly now
tenor.gif
He’s pretty much spot on!