Gas Prices

rod

Retired 22 years
There have been alot of people just driving off and not paying around here but in todays paper there is an artical about a women who realized too late that her fill up was more than she could afford-----so she left her car at the pump and just walked away.

klein

Für Meno :)
There have been alot of people just driving off and not paying around here but in todays paper there is an artical about a women who realized too late that her fill up was more than she could afford-----so she left her car at the pump and just walked away.

There ya go, 1 way to stop auto-theft. Keep your tank low on gas !

klein

Klein is not familiar with AAA only AA!!

Idiot, I have CAA membership !
Haven't used them yet, besides getting my registration, driver's abstract, passport photos, travel insurance, and a few travel brochures & maps.
And they do give a 3 cent/liter credit on gas at particpating gas-stations.
Driving with UPS and fueling up their truck every second day, paid for my membership and then some ! :)

klein

Wow, just watching HDNET channel on TV.
And had to look it up, if they are reporting reality, and sure enough :

Europe To Ban Gas-Fueled Vehicles by 2050?

For those of us who will still be around in 2050, it could prove to be a very interesting time. Especially if the European Union has its way with things. According to TreeHugger, the European Commission, an executive branch of the EU, has proposed a ban on fossil fuel-driven vehicles by 2050.

As this is a goal for the complete removal of all gas-guzzling cars and trucks by 2050, this should mean there will be several phases where emission-spewing vehicles are pulled off the road from now until then. Although we haven’t heard of similar plan being proposed in the US, we certainly hope the US will draft an equivalent plan to reduce, or eliminate, vehicles reliant on fossil fuels.

wkmac

Wow, just watching HDNET channel on TV.
And had to look it up, if they are reporting reality, and sure enough :

Europe To Ban Gas-Fueled Vehicles by 2050?

For those of us who will still be around in 2050, it could prove to be a very interesting time. Especially if the European Union has its way with things. According to TreeHugger, the European Commission, an executive branch of the EU, has proposed a ban on fossil fuel-driven vehicles by 2050.

As this is a goal for the complete removal of all gas-guzzling cars and trucks by 2050, this should mean there will be several phases where emission-spewing vehicles are pulled off the road from now until then. Although we haven’t heard of similar plan being proposed in the US, we certainly hope the US will draft an equivalent plan to reduce, or eliminate, vehicles reliant on fossil fuels.

This is not that surprising at all. A number of US cities have started or have plans in place now to begin removal of interstate systems within their communities. Even in Atlanta which in one of the most car dependent cities in America, plans are afoot by mid century for there to be no downtown connector of the 75/85 convergence or the east/west I-20. One model even shows no more I-285 by mid-century. Whether this comes about or for that matter same is true in the EU but it is likely that the major means of transport won't be the conveyance vehicle we know today as the car. This IMO is just saying what is already a known amongst public policy and central planning modelers.

I guess it's fair to suggest you don't read much in those areas?
:winks:

klein

I guess it's fair to suggest you don't read much in those areas.

No, but I know Europe is always a step ahead of us.
Many examples to chose from :
- car manufacturing
- going green (many Euro cities operating on solar, wind, bio power solely or partial.
- transit, and high speed trains
- modernization in every aspect (workplace, services)

just to name a few that came from the top of my head.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
100 years ago, most major cities welcomed the automobile , it removed the horse as the # 1 transportation mode . Also it greatly improved health conditions since less horses meant less manure in the city streets.
Are we doomed to repeat history ?

tourists24

Proof positive that this is Obama's fault.
who else you gonna blame? Oh that's right... it's Bushs' fault... Obama never stood a chance.
After a while the buck is gonna have to stop with him if it was Bush's doing.... I guess in 2012. So he can "finish" what he has started?

rod

Retired 22 years
100 years ago, most major cities welcomed the automobile , it removed the horse as the # 1 transportation mode . Also it greatly improved health conditions since less horses meant less manure in the city streets.
Are we doomed to repeat history ?

100 years ago most cities (big and small) had a cable car or trolly system. In the 40's and 50's most of these systems were abandoned and the tracks tore up. Some systems were replaced with buses but most cities just gave up on mass transit because everyone had their own car to drive. Now the roads are clogged with vehicals and the cities would give anything to have a commuter rail system back but they can't afford to replace what they once already had.

http://youtu.be/ectN2KTwMSM

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
100 years ago most cities (big and small) had a cable car or trolly system. In the 40's and 50's most of these systems were abandoned and the tracks tore up. Some systems were replaced with buses but most cities just gave up on mass transit because everyone had their own car to drive. Now the roads are clogged with vehicals and the cities would give anything to have a commuter rail system back but they can't afford to replace what they once already had.

http://youtu.be/ectN2KTwMSM

Most cities had highly efficient and existing streetcar and interurban lines. GM and Standard Oil were successfully sued for conspiring to sell Los Angeles GM buses that would eliminate the Pacific Electric system. Similar scenarios happened all over the US.